Experience with Dewalt DXAEPS2 Power Station? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

96FZJ80

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been researching portable compressors to air up 33s and smaller and want something to move from Cruiser to truck to truck, etc.. Concerned that one connecting to the battery of tow vehicle might not reach the trailer tires unless lugging around a lot of hose. Thus turned to battery powered but not seeing much that stands out. The Dewalt power station in the title seems to tick a lot of boxes (jump start, phone/tablet charger, ac power, light and compressor) but the saying jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind. Read reviews, watched YouTube videos, etc... but none seem to specifically touch on airing up 4-8 33s from 15 psi to 30 psi. Would half a charge do it? And if so, how long would that take? Thought I'd try here and see if anyone's taken one of these through its paces. Thanks.

No experience with the Dewalt specifically, but usually those combo jumpstarter/compressor/lights/smoke grinder/etc. tend to have cheaper components than buying everything individually. You're probably better off buying a separate car battery and decent compressor. First concern would be melting the compressor trying to inflate more than a few tires, it probably doesn't have that kind of duty cycle or design to dissipate the heat. The second concern is whether the battery could even handle it. 2 or 3 tires, possibly, but I seriously doubt the battery has enough power to do more than that. When airing up, if I don't have the engine on and alternator running, I can tell the compressor noticeably slows down after the 2nd tire due to the voltage drop.

Thanks . I really want the thing to be "the solution" but I suspect you are correct. Even if the compressor was up to the task (and it probably isn't) the battery probably wouldn't make it. Thanks for the input.

I've got the Viair 300P and that will inflate my 315s from 15 to 30 PSI in 3.5 minutes/tire. However, it's pretty dependent on the vehicle running. I'd highly recommend either being okay with a longer hose, a longer power cable, or if you want something more permanent, you could rig up some terminal posts or a plug at the rear of your tow rig.

Yeah. I find myself reading way too many OBA threads. Then I snap back to reality that I'd need to do it on 3 vehicles and I return to something like the viair and some long air hoses. Would need to get the automatic option so not running back and forth from rear trailer tires to engine bay to turn it off to check the tire pressure then repeat to put a little more in, etc... Unless... I can cobble together a toolbox or pelican case type thing with some kind of LIPO battery and compressor (viair type) secured inside that wouldn't be too heavy to carry around tire to tire and store in the vehicle.

Well, if you went the route of the extra long power cable, you wouldn't have to walk back to the engine bay as you could keep the compressor itself with you. I remember being concerned about the same thing when I was doing research into compressors, and to me it sounded like I had to literally take the clamps off the battery in between tires, but the compressor does have an on/off switch, so the extra long power cable could solve the problem. If you wanted to go EXTRA long, I imagine you could take a couple of these 25 ft. jumper cables, cut off 3 of the 4 sets of clamps and connect one end to the compressor in place of the existing cable and then connect the two sections of cable with a quick disconnect or something permanent. You're out less than $50 (plus the compressor) and you've got 50 ft. + the hose length to reach everything. You could even get fancy and add a cord reel...

How funny, I made this cable to solve this very issue:

25ft SB50 Solar Panel Extension Cable

25ft-solar-power-ext-cable__18061.1542052218.png

Shame on me. Should have known. So I'm not too savvy with this stuff. Tried to look at the website but difficult on this little phone with old eyes. Do you have the necessary adapters for connecting to vehicle batteries and a unit like the viair?

Shame on me. Should have known. So I'm not too savvy with this stuff. Tried to look at the website but difficult on this little phone with old eyes. Do you have the necessary adapters for connecting to vehicle batteries and a unit like the viair?

Here is what I typically do for customers. Some of these I have ready to go and some I need to build to order. This was for a customer's order.

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 5.41.57 PM.png

As I said, I'm not too savvy at this stuff. To power something like a Viair 300 or 450 that draws 25-30 amps wouldn't the 25' extension cable need to be 6 awg or maybe even 4 awg rather than 10? Same goes for the wire on these pigtails if you were going to run the 25' extension between the two? All I've ever heard on compressor usage is run more hose, not more cable to avoid power loss. I suppose running heavier gauge cable could reduce/solve that problem but then it becomes a monster to stow or fight with itself. Right?

upload_2018-11-16_21-39-46.png

As I said, I'm not too savvy at this stuff. To power something like a Viair 300 or 450 that draws 25-30 amps wouldn't the 25' extension cable need to be 6 awg or maybe even 4 awg rather than 10? Same goes for the wire on these pigtails if you were going to run the 25' extension between the two? All I've ever heard on compressor usage is run more hose, not more cable to avoid power loss. I suppose running heavier gauge cable could reduce/solve that problem but then it becomes a monster to stow or fight with itself. Right?

View attachment 1833149

The 25ft cable is intended for solar panels that run about 100w. The Viair is 40A so yeah for a 25ft extension it would be 6, maybe even 4 gauge. If that was the intent than all wiring for that circuit would be based on 25ft run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom