Exhaust Flange Gasket/Donut Gasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FJ60
After running sea foam through my carb I noticed that the carbon burn off smoke was also coming from here (just above and to the right of the EGR Cooler). Looking on SOR to replace it the info is vague and just says donut... is the correct term exhaust flange gasket ? What kind off trouble am I going to run into (other than frozen bolts)? Do I need a gasket sealant when installing a new one, and finally is the gasket the only thing that goes in between there.
Thanks all
IMAG0250.jpg

The OEM gasket is a round circle with a hole in the middle (aka donut). It slips over the protruding end of the exhaust pipe and is sandwiched between the pipe flange and the exhaust manifold flange. It is not a triangle-shaped gasket with three holes for flange bolts.

I have had problems with mine leaking. I think the secret is to start with flat, clean flanges and apply even torque to the three bolts. I tried cutting a triangle style gasket out of remflex material, but that didn't work at all.

hint: best way i have found to remove those nuts is with a 24" extension and work from underneath. it won't drop far - maybe just enough to do the gasket replace.

Thanks for the tips ... Sooooo no sealant needed for the gasket right ? I really don't want to do this twice, because I have 20 other cruiser projects that need to be finished.

I have not used sealant, but I have had to change it more than once. It's not that difficult. Mostly from underneath as described above, but I also remove the flange bolts on the front of the cat, remove the brace that holds the pipe to the transmission bell housing, and remove the U-bolt that holds the pipe to the support cushion. From above, I remove the AIR hose (either end). Then the pipe can drop down free of the exhaust manifold. If you want to take the pipe out, I have had to remove the transmission cross member.

Last time I did the gasket replacement it took me less than an hour.

Make sure the flange isn't cracked. I replaced my gasket and still had a leak. Turns out the flange was cracked where the downpipe connects, so I had a muffler shop weld it for me.

Does anyone know off hand the specified torque pounds to tighten the new exhaust flange gasket..... if there is one ? Couldn't find any specs. in the emissions man.
or Mud threads.
The three flange nuts came off fairly easy. I let some PB blaster soak on the nuts over night.
Haven't checked for any cracks yet.

I sprayed a bunch of wd40 where the flange is welded to the down pipe , and when I moved the flange I could see the wd40 fluxing between the flange weld. Soooooo I guess I will disconnect the various tubing all the way up to the ABV and weld the flange shut again. Since I already have the muff disconnected between the cat and manif.I should change out the check valve (Its probably fubar)................ There isnt any easy way to get the hose off between the check valve and the air pipe that leads into the ABV.

Torque Tightening for the Exhaust flange gaskets... anyone?
IMAG0252.jpg

Every time I attempt a simple task (such as replacing a simple gasket/vacuum hose), it turns into a 2 day or 2 week debauchery. I have owned my fj60 for about 3 yrs. now and the P.O. took poor ,poor care of it. I have little mechanical knowledge....but what I do have is the stubbornness/willingness to do the job right the first time. I should start labeling my threads "land cruiser repair for dummies 101"...... I needed to vent a little bit.
Anyway, after making a huge mess I replaced both exhaust flange gaskets, re-welded the flange on the exhaust manifold side, replaced the "air" check valve on the air pipe (it was FUBAR), heat wrapped the air pipe tube under the ABV bracket (seemed like a good idea), and thoroughly cleaned all of the severely rusted nuts and bolts with "liquid wrench". Finally putting it all back together in 3 pieces. I tried putting it back together in one piece, but had severely bent the air pipe trying to get the check valve off (fagedabuodit)!

The results were much lower emissions and a noticeable increase in horse power.
IMAG0252.jpg
IMAG0254.jpg
IMAG0257.jpg

poofyhole said:
Every time I attempt a simple task (such as replacing a simple gasket/vacuum hose), it turns into a 2 day or 2 week debauchery. I have owned my fj60 for about 3 yrs. now and the P.O. took poor ,poor care of it. I have little mechanical knowledge....but what I do have is the stubbornness/willingness to do the job right the first time. I should start labeling my threads "land cruiser repair for dummies 101"......

Love it! We work on cruisers the same way, my friend.

Nice work, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom