Exhaust Attachments FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How many points does the exhaust attach to the frame on an FJ40? Searched the forums and couldn’t find anything concrete.

Replacing the manifold gasket on my 77 40 because of a significant vacuum leak and when separating the manifold/exhaust I noticed that my exhaust had only one attachment to the frame behind the back left tire. (Appears to not be oem exhaust, muffler is under driver side rather than rear tailgate)

My question is should there be a second attachment to the frame closer to the manifold to reduce the strain on the manifold/block thus reducing the risk of vacuum leaks? Pictures of proper setup would be greatly appreciated

Ya, so 4 I think. One below the manifold where the pipe passes near the steering box. One hanger a little behind the drivers seat holding the exhaust pipe mid-way. One on the driver's side of the muffler in the rear and one on the passenger side of the muffler. As far as I know, all the brackets are no longer available as new. And you'll have a hard time finding used. You can work generic exhaust hangers and it'll be fine. The one I'd hate to not have as OEM is the big clamp that secures the pipe where it's coming down from the manifold.

Ya, so 4 I think. One below the manifold where the pipe passes near the steering box. One hanger a little behind the drivers seat holding the exhaust pipe mid-way. One on the driver's side of the muffler in the rear and one on the passenger side of the muffler. As far as I know, all the brackets are no longer available as new. And you'll have a hard time finding used. You can work generic exhaust hangers and it'll be fine. The one I'd hate to not have as OEM is the big clamp that secures the pipe where it's coming down from the manifold.
So mine is just a straight exhaust pipe where it feeds behind the driver side rear tire - I would think 2 hangers would be sufficient. Anyone have an actual picture of the first hanger closest to the manifold? That’s the one I’m missing and I just want to know where it attaches and what it might look like

Here it is. The bracket is secured to a metal piece that’s bolted to the side of the bell housing. That metal piece is strong and keeps the down pipe stable.

998DEBE7-80CE-4387-A98C-C748AC46B4B9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom