Electrical issues about to give up and burn it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, you're comparing against pretty ancient stuff. And a scope is pretty poor as a voltmeter - unless it's a modern one with a voltmeter function with stated accuracy. Anyhow, yes the HF are mostly fine for getting within a tenth or so of a volt on the 20V range. They are definitely disposable meters :)

Anyhow, I'm not talking the charge wire, I'm talking about the S (sense) wire. Wiring is something that @benno1990 needs to ensure is all up to snuff - and not just 'visually'.

cheers,
george.

Interesting. Out of my two trucks and different alternator/VR combos it only reads >14V on cold starts, and always at 13.8V (+/- 0.1) when warmed Up and nothing on. Yeah, maybe if I’m stopped/idling and have the high beams, 200w aux lights, heater fans, and wipers going it will dip to 12.5V. I’ve measured both straight off the battery and my aftermarket cabin voltmeter. The cabin voltmeter is down 0.1V from the battery measurement and is otherwise accurate to the DMM.

I was thinking about it and I’ve actually had three alternators, not two. Two were original and one was rebuilt by our local old-school alternator rebuilder shop that specializes in Denso and Japanese stuff. When I walked in with the alternator the guy looked at it and said “Is this from a 60 Series Land Cruiser?” before I opened my mouth. I’ve had original VRs, a couple from NAPA, and a NOS one from ToyotaMatt. Voltage is always the same. My ground cables are all larger gauge and my alternator charging wire is 4awg through a MIDI fuse.

So what gives do you think?
Well, you're comparing against pretty ancient stuff. And a scope is pretty poor as a voltmeter - unless it's a modern one with a voltmeter function with stated accuracy. Anyhow, yes the HF are mostly fine for getting within a tenth or so of a volt on the 20V range. They are definitely disposable meters :)

Anyhow, I'm not talking the charge wire, I'm talking about the S (sense) wire. Wiring is something that @benno1990 needs to ensure is all up to snuff - and not just 'visually'.

cheers,
george.
I tried with a new sense wire installed straight to battery with no change if I unplug sense wire it charges at 14.7v all day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom