E85 Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody tried running E85 in their landcruiser? If so, what were the results?

I did a search but didn't find much info.

I know that the mileage will go down and that it can cause the formation of acids that can possibly damage the fuel system components. I also know that I may have to change fuel filters more often.

I'm more interested in if it will run without popping the CEL. I know that toyota didn't spec the truck to use E85 but my theory is that the truck was built to be used in some of the nastiest places on earth and may not be all that picky about what you put in the tank. To continue that theory, it think the computer may be adaptive enough handle the differences.

I figure that if I alternate fillings between gasoline and ethatnol, I could probably reduce the potential for problems.

My purpose behind this is that I would like to stop sending so much of my money over to the middle east. I would rather see some American farmer have it.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
:beer:

Haven't tried it, but the ECU should not be able to adapt that much.

The O2 sensor can only drive fuel enrichment a few percent in either direction. To run on E85 an engine needs 20-40% more fuel. It might run, but it would be screaming lean.

The good news is due to the lower combustion temp of E85, the lean operation is unlikely to melt pistons.:)

... but my theory is that the truck was built to be used in some of the nastiest places on earth and may not be all that picky about what you put in the tank.

The 80-Series sold in the "nastiest places on earth" were predominantly diseasel versions. The 1FZ-FE was the engine of choice for the US, Middle-East, and other countries with abundant supplies of petrol.

I have no knowledge or opinion about the E85 stuff.

-B-

I have no idea if it would run on E85. I would say that I would not try it in my truck.

My first concern would be fuel system o-ring compadiblity with the E85. Just a thought. Might be cheap to buy a few of the fuel system's o-rings and soak them in E85 for a few weeks.

Ethanol can be hell on natural rubber, but I'm fairly certain that toyota no longer used natural rubber for o-rings in the 80.

We have a 2004 GMC Yukon (vin code Z) which allows the use of E85. I ran some tanks of it to test it out. The cost per gallon and the actual mpg were a wash compared to regular petrol.
One of the guys I work with called GM to see if his truck was compatible with E85. He finally reached an engineer who could answer his questions concerning compatibility with his vehicle. Although this is second hand info, the engineer claimed that most fuel pumps would become damaged quite quickly from the higher blend of ethanol.
In the Las Vegas area, we get 10-15% ethanol during the winter months (it may be year-round now) and the fuel will tend to separate if left to sit too long. Ask my brother how much it cost to replace his fuel pump, pressure lines, and sender on his Ducati when he let it sit for a few months.

YMMV, but I would steer clear of the E85 for your FZJ even though your intentions are noble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom