Durhamtown Tellico??????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The pics and reviews are starting to come in. Amongst the sporadic details Trail 6 is on the property and available for use and apparently the issue of "tagged vehicles" is now mute. no info provided other than that.

It's a long read but worth your time:, Copy and Paste from an attendee:

Review of the D’Town Snowbird-Tellico Offroad Park
By
Brian “BMan” Gray
10/27/2013

Ride Date: October 25th, 26th & 26th, 2013.
Ride Location: D’Town Snowbird-Tellico Offroad Park, Murphy NC.
Ride Fees: $25 a day, $50 for the weekend and $10 per additional person.

We received our ride invite by Mike DeWild and Mike McCommons (Big Mike) from DurhamTown. We appreciate the invite and their hospitability while there! We attended the ride on Friday the 25th and Saturday the 26th and left late Saturday night. The on hand staff was helpful and courteous! We left the buggy and race rig at home so to experience the trail system and obstacle areas with our mildly built Jeep Wrangler (TJ) on 33’s with 10” of suspension travel, full custom cage/harnesses, a single front locker etc. Myself, my son and his girlfriend participated in the ride.

Below is my 3rd party review of our experiences on this ride. I am not paid DurhamTown staff, a consultant nor a spokesman for them. I broke this review down into three categories; Current Facts, Current Opinions and Current Hopes. Please do not take what I say out of context from within the categories and full context of this review. I have placed the brief statements into categories for clarity and brevity. Since as many know it is very easy to accidentally spread rumors by giving incorrect snippets and sound bits I ask if you choose to spread my review please do so in it’s entirety. Please feel free to quote and/or forward in full this posting to any outdoor sportsman showing interest in this park.

Check back later for future updates. I am hoping to be invited back and be apart of other upcoming rides so I can communicate the progress promised by the DurhamTown Staff but as wheelers utilize the area I’m sure the trail system and obstacles will change! I know development will be an on-going endeavor and the trail system and obstacles will only improve in the way we like them to. I will post pics and vids in this thread as they are uploaded and processed. Stay tuned for them. Feel free to add your content if you participated in this ride.

This place has the potential to be another sportsman Mecca in the Tellico Region!

Current Facts 10/27/13:
1. DurhamTown has an agreement with the landowner of the Snowbird property.
a. They are authorized to arrange rides.
b. They must uphold the wishes of the landowner. These include but are not limited to:
i. Keeping the property clean aka “Tread Lightly”. Take out more trash than you brought in. We took out more trash than what we brought in.
ii. Be respectful of the other sportsman utilizing the property such as but not limited to the hunters and fishermen. Many are local folks that have welcomed us.
iii. Limit the speed in the park.
iv. Limit the wheeling to the currently developed trails and areas.
c. They are authorized to develop the land within the requirements set forth by the landowner and the surrounding regions governing bodies.
d. The property is and will be used for out door recreation including but not limited to hunting, fishing, offroading (4x4, ATV, MotoX, SxS, Quads etc).
2. The location of the property is in the Blue Ridge Mountains, which is apart of the larger Appalachian Mountain Range.
3. The property is near and surrounds some of the location seasoned wheelers knew as the Upper Tellico OHV FS area that the Forestry Service (FS) was closed down to offroaders.
4. The entry point is off of Boiling Springs Rd via Clyde McDonald Road. Those familiar with the Upper Tellico OHV FS area know this is the last paved county road before the ranger station off of Boiling Springs Rd.
5. The ride fees were $50 for the weekend and $10 for each additional person.
6. The park is not designed as a high speed park and 15 mph was suggested as a top speed.
7. Two ponds exist on the property. We observed a fisherman/wheeler and local resident fishing.
8. Not all of the areas can be further developed because of water run-off feeding certain streams and creeks where trout and other species thrive.
9. Silt retaining methods will need to be implemented in certain areas. This process will not be inexpensive.
10. The bowl area has less limiting development factors and requirements due to not being a water run-off area.
11. Google Satellite views show many rock formations not currently apart of the trail system or obstacle areas. Cutting trails would expose these areas.
12. Riding along the current trail system many exposed rocks and rock formations, ridges etc. could be seen outside of the current trail system.
13. The current trail system and obstacle areas have a mix of different sized rocks, ledges and formations.
14. Friday the trails area around the obstacle area known as the Bowl were challenging. By late Saturday they were much harder as the rock formations were becoming more exposed as folks wheeled.
15. A buddy (name withheld) in his CJ buggy on Rockwells and 46’s remodeled several of the larger rock formations and threw up loads of black topsoil in the Bowl area as he rock bounced his way around. He was denied on a few obstacles and made many.
16. A lot of the ledges and rock formations are porous rock and allow for decent gripping of the tires. Some “heating up” of the rubber may be needed to clear harder obstacles.
17. A lot of the dirt around the Bowl obstacle area was dark black topsoil. It gets slippery as peanut butter especially when wet.
18. There are trails and obstacles from mild to wild. More limited on the wild side. Wild was in the Bowl obstacle area.
19. Some trails were narrow with overgrown brush. Expect minor scratches in these areas until cleared further. We had a side vinyl window cut and were pocked many times with brush and branches.
20. Some trail and obstacle areas allow for two-way traffic. Some areas do not and passing is harder. A select few areas like the initial mountain climb to the trail system passing in some spots is impossible.
21. I got a personal tour of some of the different areas by Mike DeWild in his Razor. We found many uncharted Trails. They were mostly mild ones but had plenty of rock exposed.
22. We took waypoints via GPS device for a future improved map that can be better maintained.
23. We shared the park with a range of 4x4 vehicles from stock to buggy along with MotoX, ATV, Quads, SxS etc.
24. Traffic on the trails was shared by all of the types mentioned above.
25. Primitive camping was available next to a stream or in the parking areas. We stayed in town 40-50 minutes away.
26. Parking was limited to a few areas on the street, near the registration building, and in the ad-hoc parking lot behind the registration building and along the main trail and before it started the climb up the mountain.
27. A 4x4 tow rig is recommended when utilizing the parking areas behind the registration building.
28. We parked on the street shoulder after turning around.
29. The street dead ends right near the entry gate. No “cul-d-sac” exists.
30. A turn around area next to check-in for tow rig turn around is available but only when other tow rigs aren’t unloading and/or parked rigs aren’t present.
31. Backing up from the entry to the street is tricky but viable for goose neck and pull behind trailers. This will depend on your driving skills.
32. We backed up our 24’ goose neck with our crew cab, long bed, dually tow rig but it took several tactical manipulations to perform a full turn around.
33. The ride from the bottom of the mountain to the rest of the trail system is 20-30 minutes up the mountain.
34. The ride over to the area of the land nearest to the trails we know as the top trail system of Upper Tellico OHV FS area aka (Trails 6, 7, 8, 9 etc) was a long ride and took about 2 hrs one way. We had about 25 rigs in our group.
35. Riders/wheelers should not try to access the Upper Tellico OHV FS area. This is not permitted from the park .
36. Park private property/boundary lines are clearly posted.
37. Forrest service land/boundary lines were clearly posted.
38. Trail names and numbers were clearly marked.
39. Many land marks were pointed out with markers describing what they were and brief history.

Current Opinions 10/27/13:
1. The park has a similar look and feel to the Upper Tellico OHV FS area recently closed to offroaders.
2. This location with work and traffic has the potential to be another offroad wheeling Mecca in the area but not without further development, such as, cutting new trails and exposing more rock and rock formations, parking development.
3. The scenery was awesome with mountain views everywhere.
4. The initial ride up the mountain can be tricky for two-way traffic. Wider areas for passing should be investigated.
5. The trail called Tellico Rd. that leads to what was known as the Upper Tellico OHV FS area reminded me of a few trails there; trail 1, parts of trail 4 and 5.
6. As the topsoil is cleared I’m sure there will be a bit of a change in the color of soil and more of the rock you see from the surface will be exposed. I could tell many of the rocks on the trails were much larger and this was proven as wheelers wheeled on them and exposed more of their mass.
7. Some trail and obstacle areas allow for two-way traffic, some don’t and some areas it’s impossible. Traffic patterns should be analyzed and addressed accordingly.
8. Traffic on most trails included all of the types of vehicles mentioned above.
9. More permanent trail markers should be developed.
10. The fees were inline with other parks and we enjoyed the current offerings.
11. The return on investment (ROI) for us is much higher than the offerings at the DurhamTown location in Union Point.
12. If the effort promised materializes the trail system and obstacles will continue to improve.
13. As more folks wheel on the trail systems I don’t doubt many more rocks and formations will be uncovered.
14. Parking for tow rigs needs to be further addressed.
15. Anyone who has the opportunity to attend a ride should bring plenty of tools and parts and even better make sure they are easily accessible in your rig or fellow wheelers rigs. It’s a long trip back to the parking area from most areas.
16. I will be back to ride this park again. At this juncture I’m not sure I will bring my buggy since the Bowl is the only area of interest for me with it. I will indeed bring my TJ back and our race rig, which is a Jeep Cherokee XJ highly, modified for Dirt Riot/ECORS baja/"Jeepspeed” style racing.

Current Hopes 10/27/13:
1. I hope what was mentioned about future rides and development continues to happen.
2. The entry fees stay in alignment with other parks.
3. The parking areas is expanded and leveled out a bit
4. The entry road to the parking area will allow 2wd tow rigs easier access.
5. The agreement between the landowner and DurhamTown continues to be a win/win for not only them but our entire wheeling community.
6. Our wheeling community to adhere to the wishes of the landowner and DTown staff to show our support for the cause. This venture will not continue unless we do something different than was done years ago at the Upper Tellico OHV FS areas.
7. Other amenities should be limited to those necessary by the communities utilizing the property to keep overhead to a minimal and expense as low as possible.
8. An a-la-carte approach to available amenities similar to the DTown in Union Point could be utilized. Pay as you go scenario will allow everyone to customize their experience to fit their budget and needs.
9. I would recommend not charging for primitive camping for those purchasing a weekend entry fee.
10. A small “convenient” store with a limited select selection of often forgotten supplies at the registration building. Again minimal to keep overhead and costs down.

Thank you for reading the review. Again feel free to repost, forward or share it in its complete and entire format. Also feel free to contact me directly with questions and/or feel free to post up your experience of the ride, post pics and vids if you took any. Please limit your opinions on the matter unless you have first hand experience wheeling at this park in its current evolution. We don’t want to accidentally spread or create rumors. If you are in the know let it show sort of mind set is what I’m thinking.

Lastly a huge kudos goes out to the entire hard working DTown team that was on sight. Thank you for offering another place to wheel! I wish continued success!

Take care and happy and safe travels to all!

Brian “BMan” Gray

734375_723399871008036_451321372_n.jpg

1379299_723400424341314_1286845889_n.jpg

1393818_723401584341198_2060090485_n.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! Hope it comes about!!! We could possibly sponsor a premiere event there if it gets developed like it needs to be. For now wait and see, offer labor and help. Can't wait to see what develops, I love that area.

So is it open to public yet or invite only??? I see a few locals was there but I'm curious if we can go check it out 1 day!!!

So is it open to public yet or invite only??? I see a few locals was there but I'm curious if we can go check it out 1 day!!!

according to what I've read not open to public yet. Apparently they are planning a few more invite style rides b/w now and the end of 2013, from there we'll see.

Also was catching a few comments addressing some of above about how this is NOT going to be a "go-fast" style place, more sub 15MPH style wheeling but it's mostly speculation right now. I don't think they have a complete plan in place as of yet and are more trying to demonstrate they can bring in the $$ before anything is set in stone.

according to what I've read not open to public yet. Apparently they are planning a few more invite style rides b/w now and the end of 2013, from there we'll see.

Also was catching a few comments addressing some of above about how this is NOT going to be a "go-fast" style place, more sub 15MPH style wheeling but it's mostly speculation right now. I don't think they have a complete plan in place as of yet and are more trying to demonstrate they can bring in the $$ before anything is set in stone.

Yup it's all about the money... And we can go slow right??? Can we all do 15mph on the rocks? ;) well maybe soon they will open it up that may be as close to tellico as ill get !!!

I'm game. I might go up this fall once with a buddy. I haven't been up there as much as I would have liked this year.

Cool im ready to go. Say when bro!!!!!!! im sure we can have a good lil group go for a weekend!?!?!?

Do you have any of your hoodies in stock? i know u was out at gsmtr... im gonna go check out ur site..

Cool im ready to go. Say when bro!!!!!!! im sure we can have a good lil group go for a weekend!?!?!?

Do you have any of your hoodies in stock? i know u was out at gsmtr... im gonna go check out ur site..

We have S to XXL hoodies in stock.

If I get back up to Snowbird I won't be able to take anyone in. I'll be going with a buddy who is a member. I'm not currently a member. Tis expensive. :-( Last year I took groups in, up to 15 people at a time, but it took 3 members working together to be able to do that since each member could only take 5 guests in at a time. Looks like Durhamtown has other arrangements so they can take in more people.

Another descriptive review per user mdo817 on Hardline:

Link to the entire thread here complete with more pics: http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=28742.0

"All right my review won't be near as in depth as Brian's (Bman), he hit a lot of stuff dead on. So a good bit of my thoughts are just repeating what he has stated. I know that this was just a "pre-ride" and notes were being taken on feed back given.

First and for most, truck and trailer parking, and areas to turn around in. They did some work before we got there, so once you go past the single wide trailer and head up the hill they have cleared some parking areas, as of now most of it is really soft dirt and quick to stick a 2 wheel drive tow pig. With some packing down and loads of gravel this will work, still need clear out a big enough area so that you can get turned around because as it is now, it is much like a lot of camp grounds for travel trailers, unload your rig and back into the parking areas.

Camping areas for tent camping seems really nice, as long as you don't have a need to take your tow pig, if you are like a lot of adventure type campers or tent camping out of your Jeep, they are well back in the property, secluded and enough fields so you would not have to set up right next to your neighbor. For someone like me that either uses a slide in camper, or pitches my tent on my trailer not near as good. This will be a fairly easy fix as the parking areas near the front of the property is worked on.

Trails - Here is the kicker, we have asked for rock, they have it, but as stated above at the moment there were 3 ledges to challenge Livingston and I, I know that the bowl area has plenty more rock under the over growth, my only concern would be if this is the only area that rock trails are allowed to be developed it would make for a rather large congestion if 15 or more rigs were in there at the same time, then you throw spectators in it would/could get worst. There are many valley's, ravens... that are full of rocks similar to some of the ones at Hale Mtn. with a few trees here and there removed they would make for some technical trails and take hours to get up some, problem being with most of these will be the possible storm water run off. Time will tell after they evaluate where the water goes coming down these will end up. For the stocker, mildly modified trail runners that just want to get out and ride for hours and hours, with the whole mountain feel and view going over to the Upper Tellico area will fill that need. Not sure what is up some of the spider trails over there (upper Tellico area), or if we are even allowed to explore them (they may go on to some other private land) but there are several that turn off the Tellico Rd.

Motorcycles, RZR's versus Jeeps - here would be one of my major complaints after this weekend. I can and could deal with the RZR's SxS buggies, but the bikes on the same narrow trails as the Jeeps present a danger and law suit waiting to happen. It is posted and told that this is not a high speed park, their idea and my idea of high speed must be different. Some bikes would pass you with little regard to safety, mainly theirs for obvious reasons. We encountered courteous riders and pure pricks, and I must say the trails would be better off if we had accidentally bumped a few over the side. This being aid and I know that bikes have been Big Mike's money maker, should go on opposite weekends as Jeeps and SxS's.

Over all thoughts - for my rig size up, it will need the dedication and monies thrown at it to develop stuff, for bikes, SxS's and nearly stockers it is a little peace of heaven. I am hoping that some things work out so we can get some longer trails that have a moderate amount of difficulty to traverse. I have an open mind and will wait patiently to see how this all works out, I will return if asked, even on non-ride weekends if they want some of us to come up and flag stuff like some of the guys on here did on the new side of DTown."​

There's another in the southeast section of Pirate: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-southeast/1502274-review-dtown-snowbird-tellico-offroad-park.html

Thanks you Fed govt. What is it with the Fed and North Carolina or is it just me?

3a9ad6e4f929849184f4afb826c77701.jpg

I saw this and am shocked.

May the TU guys only catch sucker fish! They may not have started this one, but they started the avalanche.

Damn Govt.!

Updated info:
From Mike McCommons:

First, I want to thank every one of you for supporting the project I began. I did not do this because I had to, but because I fell in love with the property, the area, and the people. I have enjoyed meeting many of the guests and my time on this mountain as well. It is unfortunate that it came to this, but I wanted to give a brief explanation of what has happened over the past two years.

A former friend, Dan Northington, from my area invited me here along with Mark Rogers from the television show “Moonshiners.” I fell in love with the property and was introduced to the land owned by Tom Thrash. Tom wanted to see the property maintained and utilized for recreation and the enjoyment of others. With all my experience from Durhamtown in Georgia, I saw a way to make this happen and enjoy it myself. Dan Northington wanted to capitalize off of my connections to sell real estate and make large profits from the land he had bought during the recession from struggling land owners. My “connections” were not interested in his land, they only wanted to come and enjoy Durhamtown Tellico. He became jealous and began an attack on me by calling the different government organizations claiming false accusations. Thus, they began their investigations. I have met all of their requests over the past 8 months and was ready to move forward with more marketing for Durhamtown Tellico. He also brokered some timber sales below Tellico and the loggers created a massive amount of soil disturbances and muddied the Little Snowbird stream. Several other timber sales created even more sediments over the past 4 months causing a lot more problems. Dan rallied all of his friends with property downstream (mostly Floridians with vacations houses) to generate excessive calls to the different government agencies. This relaunched a new investigation with one of them connected to one of the agencies. Dan and his rally group continued to point their fingers at Durhamtown Tellico visitors as the source of all the sediments, not the logging jobs of over 300 acres or raw soils. I fought for 3 months proving where the problem was coming from --- not the riding but negligent logging practices. Two of the government agencies agreed with me and we established a simple compromise and Durhamtown Tellico remained open. However, The North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources continued the attack by claiming that the logging on Tom Thrash’s property was solely for the purpose of building ATV trails. This put the property into a commercial category with extreme demands. Just permitting the water to cross the trail or road for runoff or a seasonal wet stream cost averages $14,000 per permit. With over 20 crossings, the cost would exceed $250,000 and that is not including building them to their specs. Also, it would need a certified land disturbance permit for the entire 3000 acres, which would cost over $150,000. This is all because I would not buy their expensive land and I removed many of the 18 who were part of Dan’s rally group on Little Snowbird from my property when they were trespassing. Some became aggressive when I asked them to leave or pay to ride on my property. A lot of this has also come down on the loggers as well and he began confronting the 18 land owners along Little Snowbird and they commented, “we are sorry we just wanted to run Mike away from the property so we could have it back to trespass on.” The government agencies were prepared to begin to levy massive fines if we did not stop the riding. Therefore, we had to agree; however, we hope they will see once the riding stops the sediment will still continue to come from the logging sites.

We have contacted our legislators to help with this, and other political parties have also asked for information. Everyone is in favor of Durhamtown Tellico as an economy booster and a place for family fun. We do not plan to lie down and walk away so easily, but this will take time.

Dan Northington and his fellow followers are the reason for this as they have been spreading false accusations for over 12 months. If you would like to discuss this with him or purchase some of his land, his number is (706) 318-1509.

Thanks for your support,
Mike

Roger,
Thanks for posting this really stinks. Can the blue ribbon coalition get behind him?

My company works a lot with this type of problem - environmental issues, permitting, sediment tracing, etc. I'm not sure the relationship anyone has with Mike, but I may be able to offer some assistance in resolving these problems. I'd be interested in hearing who is giving Mike his environmental advice because some of his numbers sound high.

I don't know Mike and don't know how interested he is in entertaining outside opinions, but for anyone in the loop that would like to pass my contact information along please send me a PM.

Edit: I also have some personal contacts at NCDENR that may be able to shed some light on their position.

Last edited:
If true that is some sh!!te right there, asshats perverting and manipulating the system. Why should I be surprised.

Tony - probably check out his bookface page, has all contact info.

Durhamtown Tellico

I spoke with Mike earlier today and it sounds like they are making some progress regarding keeping the park open. While be it slow, he seemed optimistic about the future of the park. I offered my assistance if it ever comes to that point, and possibly bartered a group ride out of the deal.

Typical of government regulators, it sounds like he drew a bad card from the state. It sounds like they were able to work through their differences with the Forest Service and Army Corps. Thus, NC is the hang up in them keeping the park open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom