Dumb trans question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dumb trans questions and questions about additional gauge installs.

Im about to do a drain and refill, drive for a bit, drain and refill on my 91 fj80 with 140k and unknown previous history. Should I drop the pan, and clean the filter or just leave it as is? If I pull the pan should I get a new gasket or just use RTV like on a diff?

As a side note the fluid looks odd on the dip stick, like the dye is seperating from fluid or like a clear fluid was added in to the trans. It does not smell burnt, nor does the trans slip or shift poorly.

Sam S.

As a seperate question,( I didnt want 2 threads on the 1st page) has anyone got pictures or a write up of using the acura gauge pod, in a 80, also is there a difference in the 91 vs 92-97 a pillar as all the gauge pods I see are for 92+? I want 2-3 gauges to suppliment the factoy cluster (water temp/tranny temp and oil pressure) as I like accurate gauges with real numbers on them that actualy relate to what the motor is experinceing. No numb zones for me please. If anyone feels that this needs its own thread Ill start one.

Last edited:
Do a Rodney flush. Basically drop the pan and clean things out. then do a full fluid exchange. It takes close to 20 quarts to get is flushed and refilled.

If you search the terms "Rodney Flush" You will get the exact instructions.

If I do the rodney flush which line do I disconect? I am not sure which line is the return line from the cooler.

As a side note, is the oem trans cooler up to the task as far as cooling goes, I don’t see many people installing after market ones in my quest for knowledge, so I assume it is. It seems that the Toyota is over built in most places, even the stock radiators seem to work fine for sbc swaps. Forgive my doubts of the yota stuff. I am used to Chevy 1500 trucks where everything is marginal at best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom