Driving around with knock sensor fault code (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picking up my father's 2002 Tundra 4.7 next week to take over and found out he has been driving it around for 2 years with the knock sensor faulty code/check engine light... Will there be any damage as a result? I do not want to walk into an issue.... Plan on replacing it as soon as I pick it up.
Thanks!

Last edited:
No it will be fine, its a pretty common thing on 2uzfe that sit a lot. Mice/rats love the area below the intake and chew on the knock sensor wire. replace the sensor and the wires and you should be good to go.

No it will be fine, its a pretty common thing on 2uzfe that sit a lot. Mice/rats love the area below the intake and chew on the knock sensor wire. replace the sensor and the wires and you should be good to go.
I would just replace the cable if it's the failure point. The sensors are kind of spendy to replace just for the heck of it. I was getting intermittent knock sensor circuit failure codes on my 2UZ-FE '99 LC, and resolved them by replacing the cable, which had age cracked insulation. The FSM says to check for continuity between the single electrical pin and the body of the sensor, and to replace if it's shorted. Barring that failure mode, I think the piezoelectric element is pretty robust. Really, you can just buy the connectors for a few bucks each and fab the cable if you're handy with that kind of thing.

I would just replace the cable if it's the failure point. The sensors are kind of spendy to replace just for the heck of it. I was getting intermittent knock sensor circuit failure codes on my 2UZ-FE '99 LC, and resolved them by replacing the cable, which had age cracked insulation. The FSM says to check for continuity between the single electrical pin and the body of the sensor, and to replace if it's shorted. Barring that failure mode, I think the piezoelectric element is pretty robust. Really, you can just buy the connectors for a few bucks each and fab the cable if you're handy with that kind of thing.
I say that because most people pay someone to do it and its cheaper to replace the sensors than have to go back and replace them later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom