Drive shaft repair? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dropped off a rock shelf and mangled the front drive shaft. I have a local shop that I'm sure can cut the ends and build me a new one, or should I look for a used one. Can they be built stronger? I know nothing will hold up to the weight of the vehicle but... Is there any way to give it some protection besides bigger tires?
:beer: :beer:

I am cetian that Jess can make one that would be far stronger than stock....

http://www.highangledriveline.com/

" Is there any way to give it some protection besides bigger tires? "

Just consider this another credit in the drivers education class that everyone takes during the game of life...

Good luck!

-Steve

i'd rather have the driveshaft be the weak link, as opposed to tcase or pinion... IMO might as well stick with stock.

but, as i've heard said here before, i don't know nothin' about nothin' :)

i was unaware there was a time limit on avatars ;p

but you are the second person today to remark on it, so i guess it's time to switch :whoops:

yeh, all i saw was a red x as well... what gives? ;p

it's a banana in my pocket, nothing more.

/hijack

while on the subject of driveshafts, how hard is it to make square-tube shafts? is it as simple as it looks?

square tubed are as simple as they look in my opinion

and i agree keep something in the shaft as your fuse :D

square front shaft here. Piece of cake to make, although I got western with it and milled the yokes square to a light press fit for each end of the tubes. I Then welder her up and took comfort in knowing that it was the one piece in my drive train that will not break.

I also shimmed the inner tube with sheet metal to take up slack in the tubes and now I can go 45mph with out vibs and the hubs locked.

DIY square tubes....HMMM

bustanutley said:
square front shaft here. Piece of cake to make, although I got western with it and milled the yokes square to a light press fit for each end of the tubes. I Then welder her up and took comfort in knowing that it was the one piece in my drive train that will not break.

I also shimmed the inner tube with sheet metal to take up slack in the tubes and now I can go 45mph with out vibs and the hubs locked.

Go get your camera and take some pics for hells sakes. Sheeeesh!!!

Sounds awesome, let's check it.

I too would love to see a pic.

All I have online at work is my u-joints, let me know if you want me to take some more pics when I get home tonight.

ujoints.JPG

Last edited:
here she is in my truck, its greasy under there :flipoff2: I have new rear main seal sitting on my desk, just have to get motivated.

dshaft.JPG

HawkDriver said:
Nice pic, that looks pretty sick. So how did you keep the sheetmetal on and is there much slop at all. Shouldn't be too hard to get a boot over that to keep it clean right?

The sheet metal is the length of the inner tube and is stitch welded on in 3 or 4 places down the length of the tube and also on the ends. The welds are ground flush with the sheet. I think the sheet is 16 GA and there is a shim all on 4 sides. There really isn't any slop at all, when I turn it by hand it makes no clunk sound as it rotates like it did before I shimmed it. Make sure you pack them full of grease, lots of folks put 4 zerks on them and pump them up. Most suggest to fun it the other direction so junk will drain out but I opted to run the other direction to keep the actual slip un-mangled for smooth action. I need to drill some holes in the bottom of the larger tube for stuff to drain but I haven’t been anywhere this summer where it has had an opportunity to fill full of stuff. Some people put shock boots on their's, but I could honestly care less.

I'll vote for the square tubes as well. They put them on one of the heeps in extreme 4x4 sheered the bolts of but didnt hurt the shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom