Drill press advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My son and I are heading out next weekend to buy a drill press. Something around $200US or less range. Usage is mainly for wood working and some metal work.

Thinking about floor standing to save bench space. I think I've got the floor space. I see lot's off them built in China (house brands) and other well known brand names.

Any ideas what's best for the money?

I've got a Grizzly floor standing Industrial model in my garage...works great. It was a gift, so no clue on price, but it did ship outta WA state via truck...heavy bugger.

For woodworking, you'll want a floor model with lots of room for those larger pieces. Also, go for a model with the longest "throw" (is that the right term for how far up and down the bit can travel?) you can get. I bought an inexpensive chinese tabletop model a few years ago and it's not very good. I'd stick with some of the well-known brands (like Grizzly, JET, Rigid, etc.). For metalwork, you'll want one that can gear down slow; if you switch between wood and metal very much, you'll want to check out how easy it is to change speeds (it's usually pretty easy on most).

You should be able to get something decent for $200.

That's some drill press. Looks like overkill for my application.

Riley, a few months ago, I got a nice 16-1/2" Jet on sale cheap. FYI, Sears is rolling out a new one with a laser guide and their hardware stores have therefore put the previous model on clearance. I'm not sure if they even have Sears Hardware stores by you, but if they do, it would be worth a drive or call.

The only problem with Craftsman stuff is you never know who's making it from year to year.

Recently there was a woodworking magazine write up on all the major brands of drill presses. There does not really seem to be a huge difference between them. Some are easier to change speeds etc, but other than that it just depends on the specs you need.

I keep mine on the slowest setting, even though I also use it for wood. I wish I would have gotten one years ago. Its one of those things that once you have it, you wonder why you waited.

You can also find great deals on used ones if you are willing to wait around. I kept missing them at sales and finally just broke down and went out and got one.

[quote author=Junk link=board=14;threadid=10303;start=msg93887#msg93887 date=1074782326]
These guys are up near you, check them out http://www.tradewestcorp.com/wjellis-auction/
[/quote]

Wow Junk. I was just going to complain that that's the slowest website I have ever seen (over my local 802.11 network). But it finally loaded and yep those guys are like 20 minutes from my place. I'll call them tomorrow or stop by.

Sears up here sucks, it's not like the US version. A friend at work just bought a King? with a laser sight as well (could be the same one as the Sears).

Going shopping Saturday morning with my son and picking up something. Buying tools is fun. it's easier than hunting for tires, that's not going very well but then I'm not really working that hard on it.

Thanks again. Weird that you found those guys, you must have too much time on your hands.

Riley

Thanks guys. Picked up a made in China 13" drill press (floor stand) and it works great so far. The Ridged at HD was like 2X the price. Nice drill but too pricey.

Had a Jet before they bought Powermatic, and I wasn't too impressed. Table seemed to deflect under drilling pressure.

I heard the newer versions are better.

Wanted to bring this back to the top:

Any good ideas on where to buy a US made drill press (floor mount, not bench top)? I'd like to be able to go to a store and get it rather than order and have it shipped.

I know the Deltas and Craftsman are all made in China. The Grizzly website sounds like they are made in CHina/Taiwan ("we have our own offices in CHina/Taiwan with our own quality control...")

Anyone know if the Rigid (Home Depot) is made in China (I'm assuming it is).

Those Ellis models look nice, what is the price on those and can they be bought locally? (the 675lb shipping weight on the 9400 scares me a bit). They may be a bit of overkill.

I'm not a fanatical "will only buy if made in USA" people, but I am getting sick of all the made in China stuff. One look around your local Harbor Freight will make you realize that EVERYTHING is now made in China. I'd like to buy a US drill press (floor model) without paying a huge amount...

Soul,

Your best bet may be to find a solid older used one. Check out some of the used machinery sites, or other web forums etc. I no longer have my Jet and am now using a 40+ year old Delta Rockwell. The thing is solid, weighs a buttload (which is great for stability and rigidity etc). 99% of the new can not compare to the older ones.

If you want a specific brand like Ellis (great but expensive, not saying not worth it though), call the company or go to their website and find out their dealers.

I've got the new craftsmen model with the laser site and it is a hell of a piece of equipment for the price. Been very happy with it so far.

reffug, that's cause you're a lazy s.o.b. :flipoff2:

If you want something solid and something that will last, get something older and built well. ;)

My Grandfathers is waiting for me in his basement ... floor model . Solid as a rock .. circa 1950 ?? He was a carpenter so has many heavy tools .. drills , lathes etc .. some with new bits still in the box . *L* . But it breaks my heart that I live in a condo now .. at least my siser lives in the house now .. so the pressure is off to load it all up and drive the 1000 miles North ...

TY

Junk said:
reffug, that's cause you're a lazy s.o.b. :flipoff2:

thank you pucknut may i have another....................... :flipoff2:

at least my truck doesn't lean to the left..................... :D

In my shop I have both an old as hell Rockwell Industrial and a "top notch" Chinese model. The Rockwell does all the serious drilling while the chinese unit has a 1/8" pilot drill mounted in it because that's about all it can handle... fine piece of equipment... :rolleyes: Hehehe...

I got to use a enw hitachi model over the weekend. Very nice unit. Has the X and Y axis. Very handy and the power was always there. Very stable. I like it alot. MY friend said he paid 275 US for it. I think it would be nice but i have my eye on a niiiicccceee dayton unit. Its on 220 and it weighs over 700 lbs alone.........thing is its not even a full floor unit......its a very large table mouned (own base made for it) only thing is the guy wants to sell his whole rig.2 bench granders (both 15 Amp dayton units good shape) bench for welding and the drill press............very large very heavy.............we weight it on his truck scale (owns gravel pit) and it came in at a whopping 1,780 lbs......not the easiest to transport!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom