Does this Runner look legit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Shopping around for a manual 4Runner, I found this one, a bare bones '98 4-cyl. Carfax shows a clear title, but I'm a little befuzzled by the rims, the cruise control and the rear locker switches (?). Dealer first advertised it as a V6 before I got him to correct the listing. Could this possibly be a somewhat rebuilt car, or were those features available as extras back then? To add to my doubts, Carfax says it's an SR5, which wasn't available in 98 as a 4 cyl if the FAQ is to be believed. Otherwise looks like a clean rig but I just don't want a problem child. Input welcome.
:cheers:

227320679.jpg

227320701.jpg

Carfax says it's an SR5, which wasn't available in 98 as a 4 cyl if the FAQ is to be believed. Otherwise looks like a clean rig but I just don't want a problem child. Input welcome.

What part of the FAQ says that? :confused:

Available in both two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive configurations, 4Runner offers three trim levels: 4Runner, SR5 and Limited. Each trim level can be powered by either a four-cylinder or V6 engine coupled with a five-speed manual or optional four-speed automatic transmission.

from Toyota 4Runner History 1998

linked in the FAQ.

How many miles?
Asking price?

@raydouble - My bad. Looks like I misread the '98 4Runner brochure. The chromed wheel arches look more SR5-like according to the brochure photos, but there's no SR5 badge on the hatch. Not that this means anything.
Rig has 128k miles, seems to be consistent with the Carfax. They're asking 7 grand, which might be a bit steep as KBB says $6,200 in excellent condition. Down a grand might be a dealbreaker for me. Don't know what the current market for those rigs is now, though.
Have to have a look at the undercarriage as it's a MD truck and we get some salt here in winter. Itching to go and see it tomorrow anyhow. Thoughts?

What part of the FAQ says that? :confused:

from Toyota 4Runner History 1998

linked in the FAQ.

How many miles?
Asking price?

@raydouble - My bad. Looks like I misread the '98 4Runner brochure. The chromed wheel arches look more SR5-like according to the brochure photos, but there's no SR5 badge on the hatch. Not that this means anything.
Rig has 128k miles, seems to be consistent with the Carfax. They're asking 7 grand, which might be a bit steep as KBB says $6,200 in excellent condition. Down a grand might be a dealbreaker for me. Don't know what the current market for those rigs is now, though.
Have to have a look at the undercarriage as it's a MD truck and we get some salt here in winter. Itching to go and see it tomorrow anyhow. Thoughts?

Damn, 7 grand would be gone in about twenty minutes in Washington. The price would probably be more like $8500 here. I bought mine at almost a grand above KBB value, because there were no other options that were even in my state.

Got to love the 5 speed, but never experienced the 3RZ in the 4runner, only the Taco......but it moves right along, won't win any races, but I love that little engine.

Definitely check out the rear axle and suspension arms etc for rust or recent paint.

You will probably want to replace all the fluids and the steering rack bushings with that type of mileage.

I guess a stick might scare some people off, hence a feeble demand?

Damn, 7 grand would be gone in about twenty minutes in Washington. The price would probably be more like $8500 here. I bought mine at almost a grand above KBB value, because there were no other options that were even in my state.

Got to love the 5 speed, but never experienced the 3RZ in the 4runner, only the Taco......but it moves right along, won't win any races, but I love that little engine.

Definitely check out the rear axle and suspension arms etc for rust or recent paint.

You will probably want to replace all the fluids and the steering rack bushings with that type of mileage.

Might just be that the dealer knows nothing about these trucks, and is just guessing at things. Or they are trying to "over advertise" it by adding packages that don't exist so that the pricing looks good with what people see on KBB.

Have you tried a forum like Yotatech where there are tons of 3rd gen 4Runner experts? They might be able to tell you if there are other, less obvious signs of a rebuild. Otherwise it looks like a gem!

@Hogwild - thanks for the tip. Didn't have time to go check that rig out this weekend, but if it's still for sale next week, might be time to talk the dealer about shedding a few Franklins... Anyway, I'm not really in a rush and there are a handful late '90s manual Runners for sale on the East coast these days.
:cheers:

Well, this would be my idea of a gem... :eek:

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4 38,000 Miles

Might just be that the dealer knows nothing about these trucks, and is just guessing at things. Or they are trying to "over advertise" it by adding packages that don't exist so that the pricing looks good with what people see on KBB.

Have you tried a forum like Yotatech where there are tons of 3rd gen 4Runner experts? They might be able to tell you if there are other, less obvious signs of a rebuild. Otherwise it looks like a gem!

Hey Grolar

Just reading through your thread.... the white 98 looks clean from the 2 pictures you posted up....

The grey rear bumper is the same as I have on my 96 SR5
The interior shot looks clean and it has the pre 99 model cup holder that pulls out of the dash.. the 99 made the c upholder into the console which is a great improvement..but just a cup holder
My 96 2.7 litre has an automatic so I would think the manual would have more power and get better mileage..so maybe drive both 4 cylinder and a v6 to see what you want... if 75 down the interstate is your game then it think the 2.7 might not be best for you...
Same comment as RayDouble... a clean 2.7 litre manual with a factory rear locker around my part of the world is a thing to find as well...
I have 2 99 model V6's now.... love them over the 96 but I would still rather take my 96 2.7 litre with the factory optional rear locker offroad. Thinking about selling it but..sort of not wanting to though as the rear locker option is a tough find around here.

At any rate as for options... my 96 SR5 seems weirdly equipped as well.... air, tilt, cruise, power locks, manual windows, antilock brakes, rear diff lock, power mirrors,(I would trade these in a heart beat for power windows), cloth interior, no sunroof, plastic wheel mouldings, same alloy rims as on the white one but the large 16 inch wheel package as they came with 15 inch rims on some as well. No fog/driving lights, delay wipers, the roof rack, running boards.

I think that the 99's and 00's are nice model years before they got the traction control upgrades and lost the manual tranny and rear diff lock options... each guy to their own preferences though... the 99's have the better cup holders in the console, power heater mirrors which after you have them up here it is a nice feature, extra interior overhead lights, the rear window and tranny ect switches are on the dash in a 99 where as my 96 has them on the console which often get bumped, cd player in the 99..casette in the 96 and cd which no longer works, not sure I like the power antenna on the 99 as the 96 is a solid unit, 99 has a nicer molded seat but it seems narrower to me..added lumbar support in the 99, I think the 99's had poorer rear bumpers and extensions as they seem to rust through quicker thant he 96 unless those painted bumpers where thicker or less prone to rusting from the inside out... oh well blah blah blah hey... clean unit with no rust, repairs and a good service history and you re good to go... I like em obviously :cheers: another history link http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/History/History_4Runner.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom