Does anyone know what the sizes of the A/C fittings are on a BJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a few lines that got pinched and are in need of replacement as well as need to make a custom line as I bought the same replacement condenser that jblueridge bought I believe.

I would like to at least give a shot at making some soft lines before taking it into a shop to have some made.

All I know is the ac tech who made/modded my lines had no trouble. Can't be too exotic.

So after much trial and error. (Im sure it would have been easier and at this point cheaper to have just had an a/c shop fabricate some lines.) I believe I have an understanding of the a/c fittings on the BJ74 and a way to make the lines your self if you are so inclined.

First step in my opinion is to replace the a/c drier with a universal fit like from vintage air. The reason for this is that the fittings on the OEM drier while not exotic are not "normal" They are 5AN (9/16-18) also known as M14x1.5. Most uses 6AN or 5/8" This fitting is not commonly used and as such I could not find any manufacturer that made a 180 degree fitting for the drier.This would also allow you to install a safety switch that will shut off the clutch if the PSI goes to high for some reason. The condenser that is sold through cruiserparts uses an M16 x 1.5 fitting.

So far this is the list of fittings and hose that would be needed.

Drier(universal) to Evaporator (left side of drier as looking at it from front of vehicle)
6AN female o-ring beadlock 180 degrees
6AN female o-ring beadlock 90 degree
6AN male insert o-ring beadlock straight
5AN female o-ring beadlock straight
6AN approximately 3-4ft.

Drier(universal) to Condenser
6AN female o-ring beadlock 90 degrees
Metric M16 x1.5 to 6AN hose straight
6AN hose about 6"

Condenser left side to compressor
Metric M16 x1.5 to 6AN
Fitting to soft hose on compressor I still need to measure this evening.

You could also fabricate your own hardlines with these size fittings if you have the ability to braze fittings.

You have any pictures of your work?

My hard lines and condenser are trash. Would like to put ac back in this girl

ill shoot some pics when the fittings arrive. I actually got quoted $600-700 to make three new lines. He didnt look happy when I laughed and asked if he was joking. Another option that I have changed because I already had ordered Vintage U'bend em line with #6 fittings is I will run the hard lines from the new drier to just shy of the evaporator and runs a small soft line to the evaporator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom