Dobinson Nitro IMS APACHE AX2 or MRR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening everyone.

So I have looked to through the threads to no prevail. I am lifting my 04 gx470. I want to start getting out there. So I figure I would ask everyone and I know this may be a loaded question, and that it comes down to user preference. But should I invest in a low level or mid level or high level suspension lift kit. I was looking at the Dobinson IMS and APACHE AX2 or Dobinson Nitro's.

I wont be doing rally's or heavy rock crawling. I just don't wanna be left behind with an incapable Suspension setup/ lift.

I am kind of hesitant in the IMS due to the stocking issue they have right now and don't really know if they have a consistent shortage.
So all the ones i am looking at are in the description.

Thank you all in advance for any input and guidance you have for me.

I’ve had the Dobinsons nitro 2” on my gx460 for 50k miles now. Multiple trips to N. Georgia and a long hard trip to Colorado and Utah where it handled all the trails that I threw at it. I will definitely upgrade at some point, but been super happy so far.

For best performance the 3 way adjustable MMR are really awesome. But you really need to be willing to learn how suspension works. Adjustable suspension set wrong would give worse performance than a set and forget set.

Softer settings does not mean the ride would be more comfortable.

Firmer setting does not means it would give better performance automatically.

Also remote reservoir might need pressure check from time to time. That is something that usually forgotten by many.

The further your vehicle apart from OEM configurations the more you would appreciate the adjustability.

I had mine for more than a year and still playing with the setting to find the best balance.

Shocks ideally need to be matched to load and spring rate. Offering no adjustments but have wide range of spring combinations does not make sense to me.

I don't know that I would call buying a lift kit for your depreciating asset an "investment" but I would decide what your budget is first. and don't forget about stuff you may need like upper control arms, bump stops, end links, etc. Dobinsons Nitro twin tubes are realistically more than enough for daily driving and light duty off road. The IMS or AX2 will have better damping characteristics in high speed off road stuff or if you are doing larger obstacles like dropping off rock ledges. The nitros, IMS, and AX2 will basically be set-it and forget-it installs but the MRAs will come with a learning curve to go with their extra features and performance. The install and upkeep are a little more complex since you have the remote canisters to deal with. More importantly you need to learn and understand what the different shock adjusters do and that takes both reading and trial-and-error. If you don't want to mess with all that, stick with IMS, AX2, or Nitros based on how much you want to spend.

I don't know that I would call buying a lift kit for your depreciating asset an "investment" but I would decide what your budget is first. and don't forget about stuff you may need like upper control arms, bump stops, end links, etc. Dobinsons Nitro twin tubes are realistically more than enough for daily driving and light duty off road. The IMS or AX2 will have better damping characteristics in high speed off road stuff or if you are doing larger obstacles like dropping off rock ledges. The nitros, IMS, and AX2 will basically be set-it and forget-it installs but the MRAs will come with a learning curve to go with their extra features and performance. The install and upkeep are a little more complex since you have the remote canisters to deal with. More importantly you need to learn and understand what the different shock adjusters do and that takes both reading and trial-and-error. If you don't want to mess with all that, stick with IMS, AX2, or Nitros based on how much you want to spend.
Thanks for the response..

so what are you running if you don't mind me asking

so I have the extended bump stop the pan hard correction kit from dr kdss. I am buying Apache UCA and REAR UCA
and I was thinking about nitros but I would rather spend the extra money and get some nice monotubes so I am leaning towards the IMS OR AX2....
and I am just trying to find out what the best one to buy. I know at the end of the day it's preference.

For best performance the 3 way adjustable MMR are really awesome. But you really need to be willing to learn how suspension works. Adjustable suspension set wrong would give worse performance than a set and forget set.

Softer settings does not mean the ride would be more comfortable.

Firmer setting does not means it would give better performance automatically.

Also remote reservoir might need pressure check from time to time. That is something that usually forgotten by many.

The further your vehicle apart from OEM configurations the more you would appreciate the adjustability.

I had mine for more than a year and still playing with the setting to find the best balance.

Shocks ideally need to be matched to load and spring rate. Offering no adjustments but have wide range of spring combinations does not make sense to me.
so out of the nitros ims and ax2 what would you choose

also just curious what are you running

I’ve had the Dobinsons nitro 2” on my gx460 for 50k miles now. Multiple trips to N. Georgia and a long hard trip to Colorado and Utah where it handled all the trails that I threw at it. I will definitely upgrade at some point, but been super happy so far.
and what would you upgrade too

so out of the nitros ims and ax2 what would you choose

also just curious what are you running
I am running MRA.

IMS and AX2 are very comparable in specs. Seems to have comparable review. Both are linear valving which is better off road.

If you don't off road much and close to stock weight, I think eibach matched shock and spring woukd work really well too. They are digressive, which I think works better on road. Just my personal opinion.

I would not trade my MRA but my GX are a bit heavier than stock and suspension been modified to suit my use. They are perfect for me. The only update I might do is to replace the remote reservoir with SDI Eclick active suspension controller.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response..

so what are you running if you don't mind me asking
I have the MRAs on my 460 because I like to tinker and nerd out on suspension stuff and also wanted to flex on everyone with my remote reservoirs lol. It takes quite a bit of trial and error to dial everything in to your preference but they do perform great if you want to spend like $4 grand on a lift.
I think the AX2s and IMS are kind of the Goldilocks zone of price/features/performance but I have no personal experience with them. I have a buddy with Dobinsons Nitros on his Tacoma and he is quite happy with them.

I have the Dobinsons IMS, 35k miles so far, and have been happy with them. No major rock crawling or Baja races for me either. They did fantastic on Death Valley washboard - at least compared to stock. I went with Dobinson UCA too and Dr. KDSS front brackets and track bar correction kit. I haven't gotten around to installing the track bar kit yet but did install the KDSS brackets. Very easy and they definitely helped put the KDSS bushings at a better angle.

I have the Dobinsons IMS, 35k miles so far, and have been happy with them. No major rock crawling or Baja races for me either. They did fantastic on Death Valley washboard - at least compared to stock. I went with Dobinson UCA too and Dr. KDSS front brackets and track bar correction kit. I haven't gotten around to installing the track bar kit yet but did install the KDSS brackets. Very easy and they definitely helped put the KDSS bushings at a better angle.
i am buying the ims

I am running MRA.

IMS and AX2 are very comparable in specs. Seems to have comparable review. Both are linear valving which is better off road.

If you don't off road much and close to stock weight, I think eibach matched shock and spring woukd work really well too. They are digressive, which I think works better on road. Just my personal opinion.

I would not trade my MRA but my GX are a bit heavier than stock and suspension been modified to suit my use. They are perfect for me. The only update I might do is to replace the remote reservoir with SDI Eclick active suspension controller.
i am going with ims for right now and then down the line if I need the MRA ill get them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom