DIY roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks!
Well, I did think about using it but I figured I would have had to have gone with at least 1/4” thick aluminum flatbar for the brackets to be as strong as the 3/16” stainless steel and bending the aluminum might have been weird compared to stainless......ie might have cracked or split when bending it with a hammer in my vise. Or bending it back would weaken it more than steel would . And anything thinner than 1/4” wouldn’t have been as strong.
Makes total sense. Still undecided if I am going to do what you did or build an extension off the front and back of the existing base. Thanks!

Makes total sense. Still undecided if I am going to do what you did or build an extension off the front and back of the existing base. Thanks!
I’m glad I did it and I think it turned out even better than I thought it would. But, it was a lot of work .......like tedious measuring, meticulous planning and getting it all to work around the goofy roof angles was a lot!
I wish I could weld and I wish I had a fabrication shop at my disposal.........I could create some super sweet mounts!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom