Dispersed camping spot suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yngmrostrvile

GOLD Star
Threads
I am working in Nashville for a few weeks. I was going to drive down from KCK and spend the weekend of July 9th checking out the Devils Triangle area. Does anyone have suggestions of good dispersed camping spots?

Not sure what kind of camping you want to do (car v hiking), but the Savage Gulf Natural Area is pretty awesome and not too far from there. It’s more of a hiking area then car camping/dirt road exploring though.

Not sure what kind of camping you want to do (car v hiking), but the Savage Gulf Natural Area is pretty awesome and not too far from there. It’s more of a hiking area then car camping/dirt road exploring though.

Same. Drive the rig as far as I can, hike til I work up a thirst, hike back, rehydrate, passout in the back of the rig, rinse and repeat the next day.

Ok, I am going to show some ignorance here, but what is the Devils Triangle? I have lived in TN all my life and I have never heard of any area called that.

When I google it, it comes up close to Oliver Springs, TN near Frozen head state park. Is that where you are talking about? If so, Savage Gulf that @tgreco mentioned is farther south. And close to that is Rock Island, the Fiery Gizzard, Foster Falls, and a number of other places. UP closer to Oliver Springs you are close to the Blue hold natural area, Windrock park, Frozen head state park and also from there you aren't but an hour or so from the smokies and all the hiking you could stand.

Sorry for the dumb question, but we can probably put you into some pretty good spots, but I need to know I am pointing you in the right direction.

Thanks

Ok, I am going to show some ignorance here, but what is the Devils Triangle? I have lived in TN all my life and I have never heard of any area called that.

When I google it, it comes up close to Oliver Springs, TN near Frozen head state park. Is that where you are talking about? If so, Savage Gulf that @tgreco mentioned is farther south. And close to that is Rock Island, the Fiery Gizzard, Foster Falls, and a number of other places. UP closer to Oliver Springs you are close to the Blue hold natural area, Windrock park, Frozen head state park and also from there you aren't but an hour or so from the smokies and all the hiking you could stand.

Sorry for the dumb question, but we can probably put you into some pretty good spots, but I need to know I am pointing you in the right direction.

Thanks
I am looking for some places to explore. Drive some trails, hike, get lost, camp. The devils triangle sounded cool, saw a few trails around that area. Maybe way off and its a tourist trap like the Dickel tasting room.
But thats why I created the thread...

I am looking for some places to explore. Drive some trails, hike, get lost, camp. The devils triangle sounded cool, saw a few trails around that area. Maybe way off and its a tourist trap like the Dickel tasting room.
But thats why I created the thread...
Devils Triangle is more of a sports car/motorcycle super-curvy public backroad kinda thing. I used to ride it often on my Yamaha when I lived in Knoxville and it’s a blast. It can be a pleasant ride in the 80 but it’s more like a way to get from one trail area to another. There’s are literally hundreds of miles of off-road trails in the area with the huge Windrock Park and the even huge-er North Cumberland Wildlife Management Area. The Devils Triangle roads cut right between them.

If I were you I would just hit Windrock because it’s got good maps (whereas maps for the NCWMA practically do not exist) and it’s wonderful. It’s within the rules to ride all night so I can’t imagine anyone would care if parked up and sleep in the truck whenever you please. There aren’t any real walking/hiking trails though (same in the NCWMA) so if you have to have some of that as well then you’re looking for something like Frozen Head State Park which is also nearby.

If you want to have some true trail riding and some true hiking I think your best bet is to split it up, like a day/night in Windrock and a day/night in Frozen Head.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up driving Forest Service Roads outside Reliance, TN. A lot of the gates were locked but the first nights camp was accessible. Second night was spent a few yards off the road at a gate. Had a great time checking out the area and paddling the Hiwassee River.

Screenshot_20210711-083926_Gaia GPS.jpg

Screenshot_20210709-195543_Gaia GPS.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up driving Forest Service Roads outside Reliance, TN. A lot of the gates were locked but the first nights camp was accessible. Had a great time checking out the area and paddling the Hiwassee River.

Screenshot_20210709-195543_Gaia GPS.jpg

Screenshot_20210711-083926_Gaia GPS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom