Disappearing coolant - don’t know where it’s going? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been battling a similar issue.
Owned a 2013 for a couple years now, noticed the coolant overflow tank was low soon after I bought it and poured some in there.
Checked a few days later and it was low again.
Rinse and repeat this process even after replacing the radiator / hoses and cap.

I still haven't figured mine out.
I've crawled under the rig with a flashlight and don't see any pink residue anywhere on the backside of the motor/bellhousing.

Need a borescope to confirm a valley leak. However I think it's unlikely with no residue on the bellhousing etc.
I'd rather not think about a head gasket issue, but not sure what else it could be once I rule out the valley plate.
Add me to the list. Couple months ago noticed low coolant/empty reservoir. Filled/dropped/filled again. Sometimes it holds for a day or two, then drops again. At this point I’m about a half gallon in.

Had the truck in for an oil change and look-see about the coolant disappearing yesterday.

Shop did a 15lbs compression test, checks out ok. Also inspected for valley plate leak, and this does not appear to be the issue. (No pink residue visible).

Mechanic suspects head gasket. Next step is to schedule a leakdown test. That’s set up for next week. So we’ll see.

More info here

Good info!

There is some residue on top of the radiator and coolant reservoir. I have been attributing this to my DIY radiator swap I did a few weeks back. (Just figured I spilled some coolant and didn't clean up after myself well)

However I'm missing that gasket.

I just topped off the overflow and cleaned everything up. I'm going to hunt down that gasket now and cross my fingers thats my problem....

***UPDATE***

After 2 weeks of refilling the reservoir every morning to the Full line I went through almost a gallon of fluid and then it stopped dropping. Drove it for another 2 weeks and it held steady. I was scheduled to have my mechanic perform a full baseline and investigate it and just got it back today. They performed a pressure test on the fairly new aftermarket radiator that the previous owner installed. They found a pinhole tiny slow leak in the bottom of the radiator. They found no other leaks of any kind and they specifically looked for the valley plate leak. They suspect the tiny slow leak had just caused me to lose about a gallon of fluid over time and it just took constantly topping it off to get it up to a point where regular driving was not dropping the fluid level every day in the reservoir.

I had pre-purchased a new OEM radiator and hoses along with water pump, thermostat, new belts, tensioner, pulley, PCV valve and had him go ahead and do a full tune up with new pugs, wires, and all new hoses and belts and heating and cooling T's. Should be good to go now for a long long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom