1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

diesel conversion

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by kiwiwonder, Mar 8, 2004.

1. kiwiwonder

kiwiwonder

I recently purchased a 1974 fj40 and am thinking about doing a diesel conversion to it. I was loking at getting the 3b possibly with a turbo or a 13bt depending on price. can anyone sugest a good place in the U.S or canada to get this done? The few places I have got a hold of in canada seemed to be cheaper, distance is not a problem if their work is good and reasoniby prices.

2. VTCruiser

VTCruiser

If you consider doing the swap yourself (will save a TON of money), I have heard only good things about G&S Cruiser Parts (http://gscruiserparts.com/) for used diesels. I actually just bought a 1HZ from them and so far they have been very accomodating. Otherwise, I know Radd Cruisers does diesel swaps but I also know he's got a couple projects on his hands. Good luck! Diesel rocks :D

3. iron_giant

iron_giant GOLD Star SILVER Star

4. 72cruiser

72cruiser

wow,

so gehn you dropped the bills and bought the diesel already? awesome. i can't wait to see it / help with it. ha ha.

also, some interest in your whole drivetrain at that last upstate cruisers get together. i told em what i knew, so you might be gettin some inquiries.

yeah, i'd love to go diesel if i could. it's all about findin one and findin someone who knows how to do it. g&s, radd, and andre all have great sites/info.

malphrus

5. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

I spent a hour on the phone today with kiwiwonder and gave him the bill of goods.

Myself............ I have not had enough driving expierence as say Tippy R, if he were reading this forum he could give his views on the diesels available from toyota?

Even the guys at G&S have a better feel as they have owned several of these vehicles.

Peter wrote a good spot on the DTLC list pointing out the finer points of both engines and performance.

Rob

6. VTCruiser

VTCruiser

[quote author=72cruiser link=board=1;threadid=12781;start=msg117745#msg117745 date=1078816890]
    wow,

so gehn you dropped the bills and bought the diesel already? awesome. i can't wait to see it / help with it. ha ha.

also, some interest in your whole drivetrain at that last upstate cruisers get together. i told em what i knew, so you might be gettin some inquiries.

yeah, i'd love to go diesel if i could. it's all about findin one and findin someone who knows how to do it. g&s, radd, and andre all have great sites/info.

malphrus
    [/quote]

Yep, I took the dive :D , I whicked phyched. Thanks for spreading the word about my 2H. I think I am going to hang onto it until after I do the swap to make sure I don"t sell anything I need, but the old 2H and H55F will be up for sale to anyone this summer fo sho. :D

7. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

man, gehn,

I'd love to grab that oil burner from you and rebuild it next summer.

At the new shop we're doing a 2.8 PowerstrokE into a '97 D90....I have a huge deisel fetish now LOL

8. 70sguy

70sguy GOLD Star

[quote author=Radd Cruisers link=board=1;threadid=12781;start=msg117746#msg117746 date=1078817468]

Peter wrote a good spot on the DTLC list pointing out the finer points of both engines and performance.

Rob
    [/quote]

Dredged from my archives... written in true Straub style.. enjoy!

Snip

The 2H is a good motor, just not a great motor like the 3B. With a stock truck, like a BJ60, 70, or 42, the 3B is marginal as far as power goes. It's fine off-road, but doing more than 80 kmph is a constant struggle. If you add more weight that the originall 4,600 lbs, bigger tires, and wind catching bumpers and roof racks, then it is an immediate decline in power. For under $3,000, you can get an aftermarket Turbo charger, and that makes all the difference in the world.

If you want to expand your mind beyond Toyota, you might consider the Cummins 4BT, the 4 cyl. version of the famous 6BT that's in the dodge trucks. Parts are more readily available, they make more torque, and they share a reputation for reliability and longevity. Plus, they are 'proper' diesels, in that they are direct injected and turbo charged from the factory with a 17:1 compression ration.

If you still like the toyota approach, the 13B-T (factory turboed, direct injected, 17:1 compression version of the 3B) is a fantastic motor with lots of power and low end torque. If you want something super industrial and super reliable, then the Toyota 1HZ is the way to go. It's naturally aspirated and indirect injected I6, but it is the modern mechanical bullet-proof diesel that Toyota is sending to the third world to maintain its renowned reputation for reliability. It will have plenty of power to move around a larger vehicle.

Peter Straub

unsnip

Cheers

Sheldon

9. 70sguy

70sguy GOLD Star

[quote author=Radd Cruisers link=board=1;threadid=12781;start=msg117746#msg117746 date=1078817468]
    I spent a hour on the phone today with kiwiwonder and gave him the bill of goods.

Even the guys at G&S have a better feel as they have owned several of these vehicles.

[/quote]

I have a fair bit of time in my 13B-T powered BJ70. Love it in the 70, it completely changes the character of the vehicle. Way more drivable than 3B. It would also make a great powerplant for a BJ40/42 or FJ40. It think that ideally you want a 6cyl in a 60.

The 12H-T is a great motor too, not as happy to crawl, it likes to cruise at higher speed. it tends to buck around a bit when you try and idle around at too low RPMs. I plan on owning a HJ61 in the near future. SUCH a sweet vehicle... hill? what hill?

I have not had any experience driving a 1HZ vehicle since they come in JDM LCs too new to import (90 up) at this time. There are some folks here that have em in mine HZJ 75s and the feedback is very good. They run so smooth.
    This engine makes a lot of sense for a swap since it is a simple motor, seems to more common than 13B/12H, they often come with H55F and case, so you can kill two birds with one stone. The 12V parts are available through ENS Lexus Toy, as are service items, filters etc. Turbo kits are available also through AUS suppliers.
    IMO it is a very good canditate for FJ60/HJ60 and FJ40/45 swaps.

I am looking foreward to feedback on the performance in the 60. Keep us posted Rob.

Cheers all. :beer:

Sheldon