Diagnosing Bad Shocks and Springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

vtcruiser60

SILVER Star
Threads
Fellas,

I am turning to the board with my question having reviewed the archive and consulted my manuals.
I have a stock 84 FJ60 with 216k. My springs have a nice arch to them, don't appear flat, are level and don't lean to one side. They appear fine. The shocks might be original as the shock housing is rusted through in several parts.

When I drive on rough roads, or over speed bumps, I feel like I am on a freaking pony or pogo stick. If my seatbelt wasn't on I think my head would be....well you get the idea.

Are my shocks spent? Are my leaf springs spent?

What are the tell tale signs of lousy suspension in my case, and generally?

Thanks Guys. -K

As Woody says, bouncing = shocks. Shocks are supposed to stop the bouncing that would go on after bumps.
When my rear main snapped this summer my truck felt like is was squirming around on the road when I went around corners.
I'd check the partial leaf ends where they ride on the next leaf above. You'll likely find that they have worn into the spring above quite a bit.
This could be an excellent excuse for a lift kit!

VT,
In case there's any doubt in your mind, I'll second Woody on the diagnosis. You most definitely need new shocks. My 62 had the same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom