Desert Creek/Lobdel Lake Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Day: Friday 25th for campers and Saturday 26th for day runners, 2018

Meet: Friday-Scales in Wellington(or in that area) Look for other Crusiers
Saturday meet at JCT of Riuse rd. and desert creek canyon rd. someone will be there to meet you. Run will end at HWY 395 Map will be posted of trail and meeting place.

Leave time: Friday 5:00 pm. Saturday 8:30 am(meet time)

Description: Desert Creek Canyon road is a good narrow canyon road with several creek crossings. The rest of the roads should be typical alpine/NV desert roads with possible patches of snow. Always expect some rutting and rocky patches

Difficulty: 1-2. Expect rutted roads and creek crossings thru the canyon. Stock friendly trail

Pack lunch and fishing rod for stop at the Lobdell lake. Extra food and water is always a good idea.

Last edited: May 14th, 2018

It looks like we will be doing the day run on Saturday. I'll be at the bottom of Risue Rd at Sweetwater Rd (338). 38.551148, -119.216973 to 38.585852, -119.325878 around 7:30 and will head up the mountain around 7:45 if anyone cares to caravan up with me.

I hope you guys don't me taking a crack at mapping and routes. Disregard if I'm wrong or whatever.

full

This is what I came up with from Gaia Maps:

full

I know folks mentioned dropping off the trail onto the 395, not sure if Burcham Flat Rd is the spot though. Here's the Gaia links if anyone wants them.

Desert Creek Route - 38.717101, -119.320642 (Desert Creek Rd) to 38.585852, -119.325878 (Meet Up) to 38.441140, -119.364643 (Lobdell Lake) to 38.353364, -119.424668 (Hwy 395 & Burcham Flat Rd)

Risue Route - 38.551148, -119.216973 (Risue and Sweetwater) to - 38.585852, -119.325878 (Meet up) to 38.441140, -119.364643 (Lobdell Lake) to 38.353364, -119.424668 (Hwy 395 & Burcham Flat Rd)

I hate that place more than words can describe. Its a shame its ran by such assholes, it really is pretty over there.

I love California, but I hate the state.

That makes sense. I've been looking to explore that desert creek area, and I don't think we have any solid plans for that weekend. I'll roll it around.

Kurt I was hoping you could post our meeting places and route. Thanks:p
The camping and Saturday meet up maps Tony posted are fine. The route to Lobdell and then to US 395 is discussed here. I've attached a rough KMZ file (for Google Earth)...

From meet-up to the lake is ~14 miles... and should offer some great views of the Sweetwater range and Eastern Sierras. Note that Lobdell is in CA, so if you want to fish, be sure to have a CA license. I can bring a bunch of rods/reels if folks want a quick fly fishing lesson. Those who don't have a license can toss a piece of yarn to stay legal.

Riscue Rd is a 1. Desert Creek Rd (from Wellington) is 2 due to water crossings. Jackass Rd to Lobdell looks to be 2ish and Lobdell down to US 395 is a 1. Assuming no snow drifts, that is.

Attachments

• Desert Creek Lobdell Lake.kmz
    2.7 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Worried about warrants i would accumulate due to the items I prefer to carry.

I think most of us would get in trouble simply for the opinions we have that differ from the state's approved opinions.

Thank you Tony for those great maps and Kurt for linking that site. It says on that site that there are no fish in Lobdell. Maybe he wanted to keep the fish for himself. It looks like a great area to explore. Looking forward to some campfire time.
About CA? I 'm glad I don't live there but I am a native. Made the decision to not return after college in 1983, mostly because of growth and traffic issues. And I had been living in places with open spaces and mountains and no traffic. Now it would be difficult to live there for political reasons and the fact that too many people are bleeding it to death. Social programs are going to bankrupt the state if the high cost of real estate doesn't drive them to NV. But I love the this side of the Sierras and it hardly feels like CA until you go west and drop out of the mountains. This trip will be mostly a "Nevada" trip even though some of it will be in CA.

Thank you Tony for those great maps and Kurt for linking that site. It says on that site that there are no fish in Lobdell. Maybe he wanted to keep the fish for himself. It looks like a great area to explore. Looking forward to some campfire time.
About CA? I 'm glad I don't live there but I am a native. Made the decision to not return after college in 1983, mostly because of growth and traffic issues. And I had been living in places with open spaces and mountains and no traffic. Now it would be difficult to live there for political reasons and the fact that too many people are bleeding it to death. Social programs are going to bankrupt the state if the high cost of real estate doesn't drive them to NV. But I love the this side of the Sierras and it hardly feels like CA until you go west and drop out of the mountains. This trip will be mostly a "Nevada" trip even though some of it will be in CA.

No worries! I geek out over maps... I'm like Bilbo in that way. :) I was born and raised in SoCal and when I was a kid living in the middle of the Mojave Desert, it was heaven for an offroad gearhead like me. The older I got, the more aware of the politics and high cost of living I became equally increased my dissatisfaction with living there. There are only a few pockets of California I would ever consider living and it would have to be one hell of a good deal indeed!

The lake certainly got hurt during the drought years... but should have some wild trout in it regardless. Doesn't matter much. I was figuring on just making a few casts before we got back on the road.

On the other hand, there are stocked and wild fish at the camp site.

I cannot imagine there being any swimming restriction or any lake-specific safety issue there... it's just another high elevation reservoir. Water should be cold and can contain various pathogens (should be treated before drinking it), etc..

I warned my daughter that the water would be COLD and she thinks she's gonna want to jump in. We'll see what actually happens once she's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom