depressed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.about.me
I was greasing the zerk fittings on the back of the brakes, now my horn won't shut off and the pocket opens on right hand turns.

Alright, so it's not that bad, just seems like it right now.
For those that remember I thrashed my radiator going up Bald Mountain by Yerington last November. After getting that fixed I decided I might as well r/r the carb'd 305 for a TBI 350 and re-wire. And I had a couple of little foibles getting that all together like burning out a new 1-wire alt (didn't know they can't test those at Kragen), But it was running, and well and just in time to smog this month. I likee-likee:bounce:

Then I figured I would try out the pre-'69 brake master on the clutch trick for extra play before I put everything back together. AND HOW. After getting the hoses figured out (master is 9mm so I had to dbl flare) it was working well. But it was too much throw, especially at startup. Here's the ugly... I must have adjusted it wrong, cause after I started it up and tried to move it I got to the end of the driveway before all hell broke loose.
I can see the fork is of the ball, and it looks like the throwout bearing is somehow involved in the clutch fingers and a color of black that isn't good at all.

That was Friday, and I haven't had the stomach to even go in the garage and start tearing it apart. I guess I'll start that on Wednesday since my last final for my Tuesday night classes is, tuesday night.

Is there anyone that has the pre-69 master installed that I can get some measurements off like the brake rod and slave rod lengths?

I was so looking forward to playing on the only 3 weekends I have off until summer school starts in June.

Thanks for letting me vent, the wife doesn't want to hear it anymore.....

Paul

Sometimes you just wanna throw a gallon of gas inside the thing and light it with the first match you find....

Thought I had, by the amount of smoke I let outta the clutch! Actually the dang thing has already survived 2 fires, which is why I wanted to re-wire everything.

That also reminds me of the second Rubicon trip I was on as a young child where one gent was dead set on flaming his busted up brand new heep for the insurance. The other guys had to talk him off the ledge, but that didn't help his ulcer.. He was spitting blood for weeks afterward apparently.

Back together and on the road. Brake master for clutch master swap completed and now working correctly. It would have been an easy upgrade had I not F'd it up. Your clutch throw improvement is dramatic - which is how I punch the throw-out through the clutch fingers.

Anyhoo, I have 3 days to enjoy it before registration is up, unless I can smog it......

Glad to hear it is back together.

Jack

Get a waiver from the DMV if you can't get it running. As long as it's not driving, you can geta little time, if you convince them it's not being used.

I think the waiver for my case would only be for three days -- but good enough for Memorial Day:)

I finally got winaldl working last night. No O2 data (well, constant 0.451) even though I changed O2 sensors, and traced the line back to the computer.

I'm researching now, but I can only think my Pick N Pull computer is toast.

Ecstatic!

I just passed smog with minutes to spare.

What's the saying? "Never let an electrical engineer do your wiring or let a mechanical engineer work on your car", or something like that.

The ECM with a one wire O2 sensor uses it's very own reference ground that I had failed to hook up. In effect, there is really NO 1-wire O2 sensor for GM.

Now that I've made an ALDL cable I think I'll try and do the serial - usb and pipe it into my phone where I can run a linux emulator and use linuxaldl to pull all the engine data via phone. After that, maybe I'll bluetooth it ala Torque, but first things first eh....

Thanks for all your support! Now, where to go this weekend....

Paul

Ecstatic!

I just passed smog with minutes to spare.

What's the saying? "Never let an electrical engineer do your wiring or let a mechanical engineer work on your car", or something like that.

The ECM with a one wire O2 sensor uses it's very own reference ground that I had failed to hook up. In effect, there is really NO 1-wire O2 sensor for GM.

Now that I've made an ALDL cable I think I'll try and do the serial - usb and pipe it into my phone where I can run a linux emulator and use linuxaldl to pull all the engine data via phone. After that, maybe I'll bluetooth it ala Torque, but first things first eh....

Thanks for all your support! Now, where to go this weekend....

Paul

Glad to hear you got it all figured out and smogged.

As far as where to go, with this weather, I'm not sure there is a place that will be dry. They are calling for a 40% chance of rain on Saturday.:bang:

Jack

Jack, if you haven't heard of Torque, check it out.

Torque OBD 2 engine diagnostics — Torque

It sends all your OBDII engine diags as well as things like your phones GPS and acceleration data to a web server for logging. You can see real time on the phone screen, clear codes etc.

And it's cheaper that any Kraqen/HF scanner tool to boot! You can download a free version and borrow my key if you want to try it out. I don't think it works on Apple, but not sure.

That paragraph was a mental map of how I can do that -rather clunkishly- with OBD1 computers because there isn't an app out there yet for it.

Rain my a$$. It's snowing like a mofo here at the house. If I didn't have family in town, I'd be trying to get a snow run going...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom