Dempster Highway to Tuktoyaktuk July 2024 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a cool spot. depends on your route and how much time you have. Many people try to do too much in too short a time.

Absolutely, I want to go the Homer Alaska before so that required but plans change will see

Absolutely, I want to go the Homer Alaska before so that required but plans change will see
The Kenai peninsula is spectacular, at least during good weather. Homer and Seward are both worthwhile destinations. We did both last summer. I enjoyed Seward the most. Didn't have time to see Whittier, unfortunately.

The Kenai peninsula is spectacular, at least during good weather. Homer and Seward are both worthwhile destinations. We did both last summer. I enjoyed Seward the most. Didn't have time to see Whittier, unfortunately.

I will check the Kenai peninsula thank you for the tip appreciated

Is Whittier where you take the train to see the reindeer ? Or is it the ski resort ?

Is Whittier where you take the train to see the reindeer ? Or is it the ski resort ?
I think the reindeer are in Palmer, along the glenn highway. The ski resort town is Girdwood., fairly close to Whittier.

Whittier was established during WWII as a military harbor. This coastal town is known for housing most of its residents in a large apartment condo called Begich towers, and also for its abundant precipitation. 196 inches of it per year, with 257 inches of snow. WHITTIER, ALASKA - Climate Summary - https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ak9829
Accessing the town by auto requires driving through the longest tunnel in N. America at 2.5 miles. It's one way only, so you have to wait 1/2 hour for oncoming traffic.

There is a good glacier view hiking trail nearby Whittier at Portage pass, the main attraction for me. Seward and Homer are typically considered higher priority destinations.
For road trippers looking at taking a break from driving, the coastal train route from Anchorage to Seward and back would be cool.

Nope, been to Palmer but thats not it, there is a train ride from Whittier inland to IIRC Christmas Village or something like that. I found a cool gold panning camp right off hwy really close to Girwood, I think it was on the road from hwy to ski resort. Ever bungee jump off the bridge on the way out to Kennicot ? Stop at the bar in Chitna on the way out to McCarthy/Kennicot, can't miss it. I heard you have to reserve and pay to camp next to the river out there by McCarthy and there is a walking bridge now, used to be hand cart over river, pull yourself, it is not as easy as it looks like it would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom