Defying Orders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Which propane firepit are you using? We use a Solo Stove which is awesome and contained but I am looking for a propane one during the fire ban.

which ever small portable one was at Lowe's. I'm sure Home Depot has the sells the same one

Took the ol' girl swimming in the Rio off FR151... she's sound asleep :)

KIMG1101.JPG

KIMG1104.JPG

KIMG1100.JPG

IMG_20200501_154205_510.jpg

Last Friday I went out to Blue Bird Mesa just east of Cuba in the Santa Fe Southwest District. I guess that's the Jemez. I tend to think in terms of what forest I am in. I had a tent and my dog. The others had a tent, an SUV, and a self-built camper shell. 45° low at night. Not bad in a sleeping bag, but I still warmed up with my Buddy heater.

We took HW 550 to NM-126 up into the mountains, then went south on FR 98 up the side of the mesa. While coming around the bend near a marked lookout point, there is a trail road that branches off south and stops on google maps. We camped out at a good tree clearing near the beginning of the trail. Me and the other tent camper moved to the other side of the trees right at the edge of the mesa. I had a perfect sunset view of Cuba, NM126, and the entire area below the mesa. The wind was POWERFUL as it swept down throughout the valley, but we were totally fine with no concerns at our spot.
Screenshot_20200502-122847_Maps.jpg

The next morning, I took that trail to the southeast to see what's at the end. It keeps on going, and my buddy showed me on his app that the trail continues all across the mesa and reconnects with civilization at the end. It would definitely be a fun overnight trip. Lots of small technical rocky area and a few water crossings that I got dirty in.

IMG_20200503_094849_520.jpg

20200502_094157.jpg

Last edited:
We went out to Cuba again and spent some more trail time on FR98. We did an out and back, but next time I want to make the loop back over to HW 126. Temps got down to 37° this morning. We tried out the new lodge tent I bought for Ouray, and I'm really pleased with it. Field & Stream brand from Dick's. It will make a great home base for many trips.

Mother of God...this rig needs new shocks.
20200509_100527.jpg
20200509_105129.jpg
20200508_210211.jpg
20200509_110104.jpg

captains log, 5/23/2020. 0127hrs local: it's chilly

Great thread! I recently retired to SW NM. I have wheeled all over AZ, and some around ABQ in college (LOBOS!) Been able to get out sporadically here, went over Mangus mountain. I am on my third Toyota 4WD since my buddy converted me from street cars to offroading in college. We had his first gen 4runner all over the Rio Puerco back then. I tend toward exploration over rock crawling, but have done both. I also dig mountain biking, wildlife, and wildflowers. Looking forward to meeting up at some point for a run. I currently own an 86 ext cab pickup and a ‘19 Rubicon. I tend to wheel the Rubicon because I don’t care if it dies a fiery death or rolls down a hill. Don’t shoot me; I just cannot commit to one 4WD brand. :rofl:

8E087A93-E2BB-4600-8E6F-150EC11E1214.jpeg

D53C7D5D-C384-4F15-BFCD-DBAEFF6BB03B.jpeg

A26FD4FA-08CC-41F0-B4CE-B86839AB74C8.jpeg

6FF90A0C-8B37-47F9-B213-2FA870D087B7.jpeg

89E533FA-61DF-480D-BF4C-524B7A471520.jpeg

Last edited:
Great thread! I recently retired to SW NM. I have wheeled all over AZ, and some around ABQ in college (LOBOS!) Been able to get out sporadically here, went over Mangus mountain. I am on my third Toyota 4WD since my buddy converted me from street cars to offroading in college. We had his first gen 4runner all over the Rio Puerco back then. I tend toward exploration over rock crawling, but have done both. I also dig mountain biking, wildlife, and wildflowers. Looking forward to meeting up at some point for a run. I currently own an 86 ext cab pickup and a ‘19 Rubicon. I tend to wheel the Rubicon because I don’t care if it dies a fiery death or rolls down a hill. Don’t shoot me; I just cannot commit to one 4WD brand. :rofl:

Welcome back. We'll let it slide that you're driving a Jeep as long as you've got a Toyota in the stables as well.

View attachment 2334768

View attachment 2334769

View attachment 2334771

View attachment 2334772

View attachment 2334775
Sweet ‘86!! Gray trucks have hearts of gold!

HA! what lake is that???

That is on of the Canjilon lakes.
That's super funny..... I haven't been there since I was 12 and recognized it.... catch anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom