Definition of an Expedition Vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
exactly what is an 'expedition vehicle' anyway? is it some built up 4x4 with all the overland gear need to explore and camp in, say, the Oregon Outback? yes? done that.
problem with 'that' vehicle is the 12mpg on a good day. the outback is a long way from the north coast of California.

solution: the 'expedition' tercel. yes, tercel...1995 to be exact. can it get there and back? you be the judge...
:cool:

p.s. and almost the exact same spot for the photo :rolleyes:
there's more to the story...

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

:lol: I <3 you Russ

I love it! Reminds me of my first expo vehicle. 1982 Subaru wagon. Who says they need to be this big extravagant new shiny protect you from the cartel vehicles... I do enjoy blending in most of the time. :steer:

Last edited:
I "expo'ed" the heck out of my 1986 Subaru GL Wagon. It even had a real transfer case with low range. It also had nearly endless oil leaks, but that's a different story. I went everywhere in it and finally parted company at >200K miles.

I loved that thing and in the end, is what prompted me to buy my first Land Cruiser.

With today's fuel prices, we may soon be back to rigs like that for our travels.

I'm posting in your thread to hear the rest of the story...

Headed out Sunday the 7th for a rendezvous with Lava Beds National Monument in my 95 Tercel expedition vehicle. The only real agenda on this trip.
Spent the night with an old classmate north of Eagle Point. Had dinner with he and his lovely wife. 5 star dinner too.

Made my way to Lava Beds Monday and was able to get campsite 6. This one has a unique view of the monument and is my favorite. Took in a couple of lava tubes and generally bummed around. The quite is awesome. Clear night for the stars and even saw a meteor that lasted for 30 degrees or more. One of the best. Was supposed to get down to 30 or so but the clouds came in and didn’t break 40. Fine with me

Tuesdays late start would bite me slightly by nightfall. I headed back to Klamath Falls for fuel and to hit a parts store as I popped a CEL. Code was cat not working right. Seemed to be running ok so I headed out to Lakeview, Or. , Plush and Hart Mountain.
I developed an interest in hot springs a few days before I left oddly enough and with the internet, found one on Hart Mountain.
Hit Plush late and did not make it to camp before dark. Hate arriving at a campground in the dark. I’d been this way before, to the Headquarters(where the turn off is) and on to Frenchglen and the Steens Range so it wasn’t entirely new.
Found the main hot spring and then scored a camp site. Set up camp, mainly the ‘bed’ and off to the hot spring.
The spring was ‘enlarged by a rancher that tossed in a stick of dynamite and there you go.. There’s a ‘wall’ around it with benches and a ladder to climb down with. Water is around 101-102 it seems. Very nice.
The two youngins’ in the spring when I got there told me about the other, shallower and hotter spring about 60 yards away. The next morning I tried the smaller spring and it was glorious. Shallower and hotter than the other, it is also out in the open with a view of the surroundings. Brilliant. A tad muddy in the bottom, you need to sit on a rock which works fine.
After a dip in the ‘muddy’ spring, you go back to the deeper hot spring for more relaxation and to rinse the mud off.
Wednesday I took off east about 10 miles and found a spot and just hung out for a while. Bagged some sage. Love the smell. The quite is intense out there. Not even aircraft save for the occasional military flyover.

Thurs morn I got up at 6am and a balmy 31 degrees to sit in the small hot spring and watch the sunrise. Glorious. Another dip in the deep spring and back to camp to pack.
Part of the packing was the firewood I brought and scored more of at Warren’s.
The only chance I had for a camp fire was the morning at Lava Beds. At Hart Mnt, no fires were allowed due to fire danger. Probably had 50lbs of wood in that little Tercel taking up valuable space. Next time…not!
As I was leaving I took the opportunity for a last potty stop. I had used this same outhouse the day before but when I tried to unlock and exit the lock didn’t work. Jiggle jiggle, bang bang and the door did not open. Panic ensued, deep and real panic that I have not experienced. . It was hot inside and there were not many people around. More jiggling and pounding, more panic and suddenly…the door popped open. Glory be!! Life is good again. Onward…

Back down the mountain to Plush. Out to Lakeview and …wait. Awfully close to Lake Abert to the north and the spot of an ill-fated trip back in 06. Got stuck in the mud on the west shore, walked out 10 miles in July, ended up at the north end of the lake at the so called ‘Cowboy Cabin’ where I was rescued.(yes 911). For some reason, I wanted to go back, at least to the cabin. I drove up to Abert Rim and to the north end and along the way, right along the road I saw, for the very first time, Big Horn sheep. A ram, does and others…right along side of the road. They did not dart off either. Pictures, video and on to the cabin.

Stunning scenery for me, especially the west shore. Not sure why. Just is.
Back to Lakeview, on to Klamath Falls and Medford and Warren’s place for the night.

Friday I stopped by Sportsman Warehouse(massive selection, prices ok) to browse and check out ice chests. Also stopped by the new REI. Not sure why but I wasn’t impressed. The old Northern Mountain Supply(Killerdeals.com) in Eureka was way better but they didn’t survive the ‘economic down turn’.

A lot of miles, outstanding back country and a new favorite spot at Hart Mountain. I do love the Oregon Outback. The quite alone is something to experience. Big skys with big open tracks of land to explore. October is a great time to visit.
The Tercel actually did great. It was overloaded and the suspension is shot but it drove like a trooper and didn’t miss a lick. I even got around 42mpg though I was hyper-mileing pretty hard.
As I was nearing home I had blue skys of summer to the east and the clouds from the Pacific to the west signaling winter. Summer was over for me and time for the last preparations for winter.
I will return to Hart Mountain and the Oregon Outback...soon!

Pics and vids here

Was there enough mud in the hotter spring to completely cover your body Russ? If so you could just kinda walk around like Mudman for awhile. Just wear a nice hat. Sounds like some good exploring. I'd like to see the lava tubes some day. :)

not that deep Chris. And no parading. ankle deep at best. you'd stir up the mud when you move and it'd settle quickly all over your submerged parts.
Lava tubes are pretty awesome also.

Hey Russ

Sounds like you had quite the adventure, especially the part about the outhouse!

Seems like most of the expo rigs out there are just massively over built wheelers that see little more than dirt roads. At least from all the pics in the expo mags etc. Nothing that can't be handled with that expo Tercel!

Hope to see you again next year at McGrew

Tony

thanks Tony. Looking forward to seeing you also next year.:clap:
the weather in Oct seems just right for the high desert. 31 degrees out there isn't the same as here on the coast.:D no crowds also.
there are some places out there i want to explore that you'd need a 4x4 and I wouldn't go without(duh) my cruiser. it is a better expedition rig than the tercel save for the MPG. (note to self: start saving gas money NOW!!):hmm: :rolleyes:

Thanks Russ, for letting me know you were camping less then a hour from me. Love the story and the Oregon outback

Great stuff, Russ. If you ever want company for a Hart trip let me know. That has become one of my favorites to explore. Wild horses, antelope and big sheep. Burgers and shakes at Fields, a few hot springs nearby and Steens for a change of view if you want.

Great stuff, Russ. If you ever want company for a Hart trip let me know. That has become one of my favorites to explore. Wild horses, antelope and big sheep. Burgers and shakes at Fields, a few hot springs nearby and Steens for a change of view if you want.

sounds good. i end up going to great places with no one to share with.:rolleyes:
shooting' for may or june right now.

Watch the weather. I get itchy around Memorial Day and it is usually still too wet to make clean routes. That lava dust/dirt is evil when it gets wet. I ended up making a winch spike to carry for such occasions but it is still untested and wouldn't always be the solution out there. It is usually the chicken out strategy that pays off, after doing a couple solo self recoveries I don't want to ever repeat. ;)

noted Ken. good advice. ;)

So close and you didn't stop by to see a fellow Jefferson

Russ, You could have come over to Surprise Valley and hooked up we me.
Many trails like your photo's. Many desert hot springs also. But it sure looks like you had a great time out in the Jefferson state. Happy travels and see you next time. Ty2 (The guy that helped you with your electrical problem on the McGrew)

I love the high desert!!! Ever since a little boy, just the last frontier in my mind. I've always stuck around the Fort Rock, Lakeview area. And visited Adel and Denio Junction. Really need to get back out there again. Try to go at least twice a year, but this year has been way to busy... Maybe we could do a little informal JSC explore-a-thon out there? I know I'd be rockin the subie probably, but it would be nice to get out there with some good folks :)

Matt

I love the high desert!!! Ever since a little boy, just the last frontier in my mind. I've always stuck around the Fort Rock, Lakeview area. And visited Adel and Denio Junction. Really need to get back out there again. Try to go at least twice a year, but this year has been way to busy... Maybe we could do a little informal JSC explore-a-thon out there? I know I'd be rockin the subie probably, but it would be nice to get out there with some good folks :)

Matt

:hmm: I've been out that way really. I typically do my bday camping trip at Deer Crk. but perhaps this year we should saddle up and head east. Mid/Early June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom