Decisions Decisions! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and to the wondrous world of Toyota. Previously I was a "jeep" guy and recently got rid of my jeep because I wanted to build an overlanding/ daily driver/ expedition vehicle (easy right?) That can do some rocky mountain trails (as I'm located in Denver) And my two door cherokee was too small for me to sleep out of, being 6'2". I like the idea of a full sized suv for this and Toyota's history of reliability and their brand history.

I'm here looking for advice from anyone willing to voice their opinion on what would be the best option! Some things I'm thinking are:

-Possibly going JDM import for diesel reliability and mpg. This will matter as a daily driver and an expedition vehicle.
-With this line of thinking, 3rd gen 4runner or possibly an 80 series
-Not opposed to a gas 100 series.
-I'm thinking my budget will be BTW 35k and 40k for everything involved (lift, tires, overland gear, armor, mechanical fixing/ upgrades).

Thank you for reading and let me know what your thinking/ your advice. I'm open to all input even if it's just a hello! As well as, please forgive my ignorance of Toyota's powertrain as I'm new to all of their nomenclatures.

The 80 series is similar with your previous platform. However I would suggest to test drive both the 80 and 100. The 100 has tons of power, far from the torque and hp the has. Although the 100 had limited front suspension articulation because of the IFS, it has rear diff lock on the earlier year models and has ATRAC on some late models well.

I was a jeep guy as well in my past ('84 CJ7). I have a 40, 60 and 200 series LC and love them all. Both the 60 & 200 have ample room for me to sleep in (6'1) and I imagine the 100 and 80 series do as well. I would personally love a JDM myself for the diesel, but didn't take the plunge because of prices and titling in the Denver area. My 40 series is a diesel but it was a bit harrowing to get it titled here (I don't know if my experience is unique in that regard), but I did get it done. If I had the time, budget and know how I would do an 80 series and drop in a 1HD-FT (just my dreaming).

Just my 2 cents. Good luck making a decision!

I was a jeep guy as well in my past ('84 CJ7). I have a 40, 60 and 200 series LC and love them all. Both the 60 & 200 have ample room for me to sleep in (6'1) and I imagine the 100 and 80 series do as well. I would personally love a JDM myself for the diesel, but didn't take the plunge because of prices and titling in the Denver area. My 40 series is a diesel but it was a bit harrowing to get it titled here (I don't know if my experience is unique in that regard), but I did get it done. If I had the time, budget and know how I would do an 80 series and drop in a 1HD-FT (just my dreaming).

Just my 2 cents. Good luck making a decision!
Awesome, I live in Denver as well! I think the way to mitigate the paperwork cost at the DMV would be to buy from an import dealership that has the vehicle already titled. I'm thinking of JDM Classics in VA specifically because they usually have a pretty good selection coming through there. What was the price that you incurred from titling if you don't mind me asking? The reason I'm leaning towards the 80 is that I'm also 6'1" haha. Did we just become best friends? Yup!

Diesel toys at dieseltoys.com in Dallas could do that swap but man are they expensive! 32k to 48,5 k for the 1vd-ftv.

Awesome, I live in Denver as well! I think the way to mitigate the paperwork cost at the DMV would be to buy from an import dealership that has the vehicle already titled. I'm thinking of JDM Classics in VA specifically because they usually have a pretty good selection coming through there. What was the price that you incurred from titling if you don't mind me asking? The reason I'm leaning towards the 80 is that I'm also 6'1" haha. Did we just become best friends? Yup!

Diesel toys at dieseltoys.com in Dallas could do that swap but man are they expensive! 32k to 48,5 k for the 1vd-ftv.
It want the cost so much as the hassle. These are the guys I was looking at. They guarantee 50 state registerability. Yota Imports – Connect with the world outside. - http://www.yotaimports.com/

Have you been to risingsun4x4club.org ?

Not a ton because I just picked up another LC from a private sale. You can search on here about then. I think the owner(s) are members here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom