Decided to bite the bullet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
watchtyme.net
Hey everyone

you may remember me from 2 weeks ago, I posted a thread about if Ii should buy an 87' Canadian BJ70.
Anyhoo, with a lot of suggestions and recommendations (thanks by the way), I have decided to buy the puppy. Should be going next Monday to pick it up.

I still have yet to have any pictures, however, when I pick it up next week, I'll be sure to post some.

To be honest, I'm still not sure if whether I should buy it or not, as the money I'll be using to buy it, is money that I plan on starting a new company with. But, since it has been in development for the last two years, what's another month or two...right!

So, it's an 87' BJ70 with a 3B engine. As I had previously stated, last year I owned a G-Wagon GD250, that thing was an absolute tractor. I sold it because the power, or lack thereof, was embarrassing. A few times on the highway, going a 100km an hour, and approaching a somewhat steep hill Ii had to floor it beforehand. Half way up a hill, I was already in 3rd gear and going about 50km, then near the top, in 2nd gear and going around 20km per hour. Sometimes, you would just laugh it off and say hey, it's an army truck, but, sometimes when you have 50 cars behind you because it's 1 lane, and they're all honking at you, it does get frustrating. I was worried that the BJ70 with the 3B engine would also be a hog. Especially reading a quite a few posts here hinting at how slow these trucks were. To be honest, I found that to be unfounded. I thought there was definitely enough power for highway driving as well as driving up hills.

I'm pretty much buying this truck to get out of the city and do some light to medium off-roading and to get to some far out camping spots. The fella I'm buying the truck needs to downsize, hence it's available to me. He's an old timer, and keeps incredible care of his vehicles. So, I know with absolute confidence, that this truck was well taken care of. There's very little rust, everything runs except a few minor things, which can be looked at by moi. Because I'm starting a new business, I have decided to spend as little as I can this year on mods and getting it back to where I think it should be. Next year, I'd like to put some new OME leafs on it with a 2" lift, as well as shackles, steering stabilizer and a few other goodies. Not to forget, a roof top tent.

Anyway, the tires that are on this truck now, are rather, ummm, how should I say, petite, I guess. Maybe 28 inchers. After reading many posts and threads on this site, I'm still not sure what the right tire size I should get. I've heard 31's and 33's are pretty much the standard sizes that many of you are using. So, if anyone here with a 3B non-turbo'd engine here is reading this, I'd greatly appreciate your feedback as to how upgrading to larger diameter tire size affected everything. Power, torque, gearing etc... Also, would you suggest I wait for upgrading the tires till I install the new suspension.

Anyway, I guess that's all for now.
Thanks for reading, and I'm happy to be part of the crowd. Or, is there some sort of initiation. :)
Cheers

33’s will kill the “power”.... once I put a turbo on mine with 33 ‘s it can handle freeway and slight hills. Great motor but it’s a landcruiser with emphasis on “cruiser” part..

31/10.5R15 is the best compromise for a stock BJ70

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom