Decent local muffler shops? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Max.Powerzz

Cruisers and Art!
Threads
I just went to do my safety and failed the inspection, I've got holes in my tail-pipe and a leaking catalytic converter. Anyone know of a cheap but good muffler shop around Alexandria? Side question, since the 62 has two catalytic converters, could I just keep one (the good one) and get rid of the other?

:cheers:

The way that MOST muffler shops cobble stuff together with booger welds and junk parts made from compressed rust, you'd be better off buying something like this and putting it on yourself. It's been a long time since a good muffler guy was in my area (Fairfax) I don't know about where you are. The scary thing is how much they charge for crappy work. If you go out to the country, like Frednecksburg, Wincheeser, Manasshole or sLeesburg you might find a better shop but not likely in the city. Basically, you need to go somewhere the local rednecks have dual exhausts on their S10 trucks along with huge mullet haircuts and names like Billie Bob or Bubah. That's where you can get a good muffler shop - the scarier the place the better the work.

Kind of like a good radiator shop or an automotive electric shop, muffler shops are getting hard to find. This is the cost of living in such a non industrial area such as DC. Go to LA and see what I mean, it's amazing. Where my wife’s relatives live in LA there is a shop that does nothing but make custom hoses while you wait. Right around the corner a place that makes custom radiators. Near that, an Earl's Hose outlet store. At that's just one block. LA is such a Mecca for the gear head. Down the street is a Four Wheel Parts Wholesaler with a tool store the size of a grocery store right next door.

Sorry, I digress...

This is probably your best bet:

http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa/fj622x212rplmntdownpipescatbackexh.htm

and:

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/catalyticconverterhiflowreplacement3f8890fj62.htm

You can also buy a generic replacement cat and make that part pretty easily if you have access to a welder or someone who can weld. It would be a lot easier and faster to just buy it from Man-It-Ant-Free and just bolt it on. I'd also check out Autozone, Olympic Imports parts (Best Japanese parts in the area) Napa, etc.

-Stumbaugh

I hear you brother,

When I go out to Winchester to see my dad it amazes me when I go to the store and the employees offer to help load the truck and everyone smiles and says hello. WOW, not here where I live. But, on the other hand there is no place to get a good cup of coffee, no Borders in walking distance with nearly every magazine that in print, no Fresh Fields, etc.

I am a city slicker I guess.

Other Cities are not as bad as DC and at least we have the manly mecca of Manassas to supply our steel, welding, car parts, etc. My fellow Hispanic bretheren are taking over though so that may change but they too work on their own cars and the whole car culture in LA is built on their labor...

-Stumbaugh

Has anyone else ever used Roberts Custom Exhaust. I used them on a previous project and I think they are/were out in Woodbridge.

Just a thought that may help....

Turns out I was able to get away with just replacing the y-pipe between the muffler and cat. I'll be doing new exhaust soonish so I can get the pipes tucked up closer to the body, but to get it to pass safety I just did this for now. Thanks for all the tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom