Death Valley Oct. 2012 Trip Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

boydmick

RIP My Friend
SILVER Star
Threads
THE CONCEPT:

My friend Josh and I have been wanting to explore Death valley for some time and the perfect situation landed in our laps. A couple of our friends with Dual-Sports also wanted to explore Death Valley so a deal was struck. We would carry all the gear, food and fuel so the bikes could travel light, they would plan the menu, shop and cook all the food.

THE PLAN:

Trailer the bikes to Bishop; then, five days, four nights in and around Northern Death valley, return to Bishop then home.

DAY ONE:

Bishop to White Mountain via Silver Canyon. After a few wrong turns (it really helps if the leader has actually looked at a map :rolleyes:) we headed out of Bishop up Silver Canyon. The road was reasonably well maintained but steep. The slight tailwind meant no airflow through the radiator and the water temps began to rise. Josh was borderline overheating so cooling stops every half an hour were implemented. We used low range to keep the RPMs up which seemed to help. Before we knew it we were at 10,000 feet.

Bishop from above.jpg
Bishop and the Owens Valley in the background and Silver Canyon to the left.

We roamed through the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. Who knew these are the oldest living things on the planet! Some of the trees are calculated to be over 4500 years old.

Bristlecone Pine.jpg
Baby Bristlecone Pine

After passing several old mining claims we set up the first night's camp at a fantastic meadow along the Wyman Creek.

Old Cabin.jpg
Old riverside cabin.

Bishop from above.jpg

Bristlecone Pine.jpg

Old Cabin.jpg

First night camp.jpg
First Night's Camp.

DAY TWO:

White Mountain to Warm Springs via Saline Valley Road.

Second Problem of the trip, no brakes!

Josh had new pads and rotors installed before the trip and the decent out of the White Mountains was more than they could handle.

Hot brakes.jpg
After a little rest for cooling we continued on to discover the next roadblock - literally.

Road Closures.

ROAD CLOSED.jpg
Now What?

Fortunately we had time, shovels and a winch - no going back! The group decided to move forward regardless of the consequences.

First night camp.jpg

ROAD CLOSED.jpg

Hot brakes.jpg

We drove past the closure to find miles of smooooth pavement on Death Valley Road. No issues here. Then it happened, the turn to Saline Valley Road. . . .

Saline Valley Road.jpg
Are they serious?

We were determined to make our destination, so we trugged forward. We figured the bikes could make it over anything that might close the road and worst case scenario the trucks could bypass, dig or winch over anything. As we drove, everyone was on edge hoping to not be surprised by some ditch or washed out section.

Well the surprise finally came. We drove in anticipation for hours to ultimately discover that Inyo County considers road conditions that a Camry might need to slow to five miles an hour impassible. No four wheel drive required, no vast un-crossable caverns; just hours of washboard roads with occasional ruts. Before we knew it we arrived at the iconic steel marker.

Batman.jpg
What exactly is the story behind this?

All the best spots at the Lower Springs were already taken so we moved to the Upper Warm Springs. We found a camp close to the pool and there were only two other groups in the area which meant we might actually get a good night's sleep!

No photos from Warm Springs to respect those who might be "off the grid."

Saline Valley Road.jpg

Batman.jpg

DAY THREE:

Our most ambitious day of the trip. Exit Upper Warm Springs via Eureka Valley Road through Steele Pass and Dedeckera Canyon; through the Last Chance Range to Scotty's Castle. Eat lunch at the Castle and continue to the Ubehebe Crater. From there to Teakettle Junction and on to the Racetrack. Based on time of day the critical decision - exit through Lippencott Road (shorter but latest reports state heavily washed out) or backtrack a bit and exit over Hunter Peak (longer but intact trails). Only time will tell. . . .

We head up the Eureka Wash and slowly pick our way through the riverbed. It is slow going and tedious but we're making progress. Everyone we talked to at the springs were concerned about squeezing a full size truck through Steele Pass. We approached with anticipation, the bikes stopped just after the pass to rest and re-hydrate while we caught up.

A full size will fit if you don't mind raising the runningboards.

It fits.jpg

I squeeze through without issue - or so I thought. I smell something funny as I pull up on the bluff above Steele Pass. The steering is heavy and when I get out of the truck I see power steering fluid all over the front tire. After half an hour to let everything cool down i find the culprit. There are two hairline slpits in the return line from the steering box. i start removing crap to get to the hose while everyone else checks out the Blue Marble Tub.

Blue Marble Tub.jpg
Random Desert Weirdness

Thankfully a combined effort from the group resulted in a fantastic field repair. Some brake cleaner, self bonding silicone tape (think infomercial) and a quart of tranny fluid gets us moving again (two hours later).

We continue toward the Eureka Dunes but since we're behind schedule, no stopping to explore.

Eureka Dunes.jpg

It fits.jpg

Blue Marble Tub.jpg

Eureka Dunes.jpg

A quick stop at Crankshaft Junction and we head off toward Scotty's Castle.

Crankshaft Junction.jpg

We make it out to pavement and pick up the pace to Scotty's Castle. Flowing water and flush toilets are a welcome sight. No time for guided tours, we take advantage of the restrooms and move on. Next stop, the Ubehebe Crater.

Scotty.jpg

Refreshed (and lighter) he continue toward the crater.

Ubehebe Crater.jpg

I wish we had more time to explore this fantastic feature, but our day was ambitious to begin with, so a picture must suffice. We hurry off toward the Racetrack.

Crankshaft Junction.jpg

Scotty.jpg

Ubehebe Crater.jpg

We arrive at Teakettle Junction and realize we won't have enough time to see the Racetrack. We decide to abort and exit through Hunter Mountain.

Teakettle Junction.jpg

I'm disappointed since the Racetrack was one of the main features I had hoped to see. We proceed to Hidden Valley and I'm amazed by the beauty of Hidden Valley. I can't help but think that we made the right choice to get us back on schedule when one of the bikes stops with a flat front tire.

Front flat.jpg

The sun is low in the sky, but we throw a new tube in the tire and move on. Our Goal is to make it to Panamint Springs and spend the night in the campground (hot showers :).

We make Panamint Springs in time to hit up the restaurant for dinner then head to the campground to relax.

DAY FOUR:

Panamint Springs to Darwin the backroads to Lone Pine. Hit the pavement to Independence the up Mazourka Canyon and spend the night at Papoose Flats.

We break camp and head up the "Old Toll Road" to Darwin. Some beatup old pavement, some gravel, some wash.

Old Darwin Mine.jpg
Old Darwin Wash Cabin

As we continue up the road, one of the bikes is loosing pressure in the rear tire. We hope to nurse it to the town of Darwin by adding air as needed. We make it to town to take a break and make repairs.

Teakettle Junction.jpg

Front flat.jpg

Old Darwin Mine.jpg

**IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE**

If you are bored while your friends are fixing a flat tire and you think it might be cool to reach up and plug in the extension cord, just to see what the Christmas lights might look like during the day - Don't do it!

Darwin Dance Hall.jpg

The town of Darwin Fire Department is called to service by an electric siren mounted to the Dance Hall. It just so happens that the siren and the Christmas lights are on the same extension cord :eek:

After quickly unplugging the (very loud) air raid siren and apologizing profusely to the towns folk we finished the rear tire repair and left town (the hills have eyes).

Darwin Post Office.jpg
Darwin Post Office

We headed out past the Post Office and looked in the window of a dilapidated old building on our way out of town.

Darwin Creepy House.jpg
Creepy Rocking Chair.

Thankfull to be out of the view of Darwin we took back roads to Lone Pine.

We topped up fuel and ate lunch in Lone Pine then made our way to Independence. The leader missed the turn (this time he did look at a map) so we waited until he figured it out. Shortly later :rolleyes: we made our way up Mazourka Canyon.

Darwin Dance Hall.jpg

Darwin Post Office.jpg

Darwin Creepy House.jpg

Mazourka Canyon was a heavily maintained gravel road. I was expecting some sort of technical challenge, but the road was smooth and fast gravel. Once again the deep canyon and tailwind conspired to heat the cooling systems as we began to gain altitude.

We slowly made our way through the trees over off camber, loose rock. Two short sections challenged the width of the Ford, but to my amazement Josh made it through unscathed (if you don't count the side view mirrors). Excellent driving!

We made our way over the ridge past Badger Flats and into Papoose Flats.

Papoose Flats.jpg
Papoose Flats.

We ate a quick breakfast and hit the trail back to Death Valley Road into Big Pine for lunch and then back to Bishop to load the bikes back on the trailer.

After packing everything up and a quick shower, we began the trip home.

Over 1000 miles; 500+ miles of dirt, two flat tires, boiling coolant, spewing power steering fluid - all in all a phenomenal trip!

Papoose Flats.jpg

Epic Trip Boyd! Great write up and pics!

Awesome trip Boyd! I can't wait to get out there next month.

Note to self: Get silicone self sealing tape before next trip.

Dan2722 said:
Note to self: Get silicone self sealing tape before next trip.

Guess the first thing I bought after I got home!?! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom