Death by frame rot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 98 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed has frame rot. Does anybody want a project to back half or need parts to keep one of these great trucks on the road. 270k runs, drives and looks good. Trying to post pics now. Truck is located is Dallas.

Last edited:
DC0D8148-6268-44A7-8752-880C77811ECE.jpeg
B40FFE0E-4D5F-4BBE-9EC0-D70CBDF533E9.jpeg
77944FA6-C726-41F3-B860-05CBD08E48E2.jpeg

That can be welded if you want, 4mm steel an drive a few more years.
The cutter disk goes trough the rot easy until it meets solid iron, probably a few inches.
A frame off is not worth it? I go trough this every two years at the road check but previous repairs never go bad again it seems.

I can weld. I should get of my butt and do it, but I’m thinking of just moving on.

Thought Toyota was replacing frames on the Tacoma but not 4Runners? Not sure about the Tacoma but rust free 4Runner frames are easy to find in AZ. What it takes legally to switch a frame with one from another vehicle I'm not sure.

Thought Toyota was replacing frames on the Tacoma but not 4Runners? Not sure about the Tacoma but rust free 4Runner frames are easy to find in AZ. What it takes legally to switch a frame with one from another vehicle I'm not sure.
It's 15 years from first date of service. A 1998 is out of warranty by at least 4 years by this point.

There's a company that makes "caps" to repair sections of our frames. Safety-Caps or something like that is their name. Really great option for saving a truck like yours. I've seen several build threads on them over on Tacoma World. If I didn't plan to replace the back half of my frame I'd be buying caps to patch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom