Day-Trips near Sedona, AZ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife and I will be spending a long weekend in early September in Sedona wine country, does anyone have any suggestions on trails or offroad sights to check out? She is allowing me a full day of offroad adventure so nothing that would require camping. There is a good chance I will have the capability to carry extra fuel by then, so distance might be extended. Thanks in advance!

It’s a short run, but I’ve always enjoyed the Broken Arrow Trail just outside downtown. It’s a regular attraction for the Pink Jeep guys.

C64EE8A3-7826-40B3-B6CF-EF67D6B29378.jpeg

Couple of pics in the LX. It’s a very scenic route, great for pics. Pack a lunch, take your time and enjoy. I also recommend grabbing a bite at Elote and the Hudson. Take an afternoon to just walk through Tlaquepaque. The shops and gallery’s are pretty fun.

39518451-1527-480E-91CC-CC91D0F7578B.jpeg

04A0E190-2FE5-41BB-BCA2-41FF45B4DA93.jpeg

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. Would broken arrow be do-able with my setup? Stock AHC suspension, 1" body lift WKOR Sliders, 275/65/R18

In addition to Broken Arrow, do Schnebly Hill Road. Due to the summer, I would do the Broken Arrow first and then head UP Schnebly Hill.

Remember it will be HOT! Abandon the trails by noon, Schnebly will take you up to the pines so you will have a respite of sorts. September is also monsoon season here, you could get hit with heavy rain from noon on. It will cool you off but, especially on Broken Arrow, it will be muddy. Slickrock is not horrible when wet, so don't let that detour you.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. Would broken arrow be do-able with my setup? Stock AHC suspension, 1" body lift WKOR Sliders, 275/65/R18

View attachment 2012115

Yes, the Devil's Staircase should also be okay but, I will let the other 100 series owner's chime in.

View attachment 2012115
For sure. The only difficult section of the trail is “the stairs.” You’ll pass by its exit on the way in and see the Pink Jeep guys going down. You can judge for yourself if you want to risk any possible damage or freak out your spouse (it’s pretty steep/nose first). There’s a bypass so you can enjoy the trail without having to commit to “the stairs.” Also be sure to take in Submarine Rock, get out and hike around a bit.

Stairs, when I did them were fine in a stock FJC. A few steps down bumped frame parts, no damage. Going up was funner :) (I didn't know at the time is was intended as down only - lol). And my avatar is from that trip. Schnebbly was also good, great sunset views possible.

There is one spot that actually got past my point of "Is this fun?" where I saw pink jeeps coming down a rock at a fair angle. I tried it, but can say it's not for the light of heart. Felt like I was going to flip forward when the suspension was being jostled by the larger steps. But that spot is 100% optional, and probably 100% safe since the jeeps do it daily and so far no one has died.

That looks pretty sweet, definitely havent had my LX in anything close to that. I will definitely give it a shot though!

+1 for Schnebly Hill Road. I did it a couple of months ago in a stock LC.

Once you get to the top, might as well explore Flagstaff for a few hours. It'll be 10-20 degrees cooler than Sedona.

I know it is not Sedona to be exact but Eldon Lookout in Flagstaff. I haven't been but it looks like just a grated dirt road.

Also, there is Cinder Hills OHV in Flagstaff as well.

I know it is not Sedona to be exact but Eldon Lookout in Flagstaff. I haven't been but it looks like just a grated dirt road.

Also, there is Cinder Hills OHV in Flagstaff as well.

Elden LO Rd is currently closed. It is graded, but not grated. Great views, but a bit of a drive from Sedona.

153A is a rocky offshoot of Schnebly Hill Rd. It has some great spots to test low range for a stock rig, and get some epic views over Bear Wallow Canyon.

While not overly difficult, the drive from Sedona to Honaki ruins, and then looping back via the Gunslinger OHV trail is beautiful, and not overly challenging... Just enough to be fun, esp on a stock rig.

Schnebly Hill is traditionally, miserably, horribly, not fun rocky, from Sedona up to the top, main view, then's sorta fine from there to the 17. The only fun thing is seeing regular cars fumbling about on this stretch. IMO.

I did Broken Arrow in my stock 100 series just fine. The stairs was a great ending to the trail, and I didn’t hit anything other that my tow hitch a couple of times. Put AHC in High, and enjoy the trail! Schnebly Hill is worth doing as well.

CBC50601-A5EC-46E1-8F9C-0D84B750491C.jpeg

7A677D86-9223-4BCD-8A62-C4B13CF55A91.jpeg

262EE499-AE53-4485-A31D-828BE3593B82.png

Schnebly Hill is traditionally, miserably, horribly, not fun rocky, from Sedona up to the top, main view, then's sorta fine from there to the 17. The only fun thing is seeing regular cars fumbling about on this stretch. IMO.

If looping with I-17 would do the reverse. Head up I-17 and down Schnebly Hill. That way the views are out the windshield not the rearview mirror.

+1 for Schnebly Hill Road. I did it a couple of months ago in a stock LC.

Once you get to the top, might as well explore Flagstaff for a few hours. It'll be 10-20 degrees cooler than Sedona.
...totally agree with this sentiment. Flagstaff is great; go see some breweries. Also, we did Schnebly hill road in the spring during the snow melt, from I-17 (Flag side) to Sedona. The top end of the trail was *very* soft. Like 18-inch baby poo tracks. Super fun and totally doable. Couple of more chunky spots as you get closer to Sedona, but nothing you can't navigate by minding your line. Have fun!

so it turns out I got my dates wrong, we are actually going next weekend! Guess my plans for getting 35's before the trip are out the window.

So far my plan is to hit up broken arrow in the morning, then schnebly hill road after that, then up to Flagstaff. Sounds like fun!

Now I am getting excited to go out at night where we are staying and go scorpion hunting. Are there many that far north?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom