Day Trip Labour Day Weekend - Sun or Monday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello gals and guys...

Inspired by Ibexoffroad's request to go on another run, and also by my lack of availability for Kawka (restricted time, budget etc)... I wanted to propose a day trip (for me) but does not be for you...

I'll be at Pigeon lake that weekend, I'm stuck there Saturday night but could get away early Sunday or Early Monday. I am thinking of taking Eric's suggestion of heading out to the Rocky Mountain House area- I did a trip there once about 3 years ago with the Land Rover Club and we drove up to a Fire Tower it was a fun run started out with passing through muddy terrain- some got stuck- both toyotas and land rovers. An impressive camaro engine, dana 30 axled Series II (I think) was the rescue vehicle of choice. Yet the more modern range rovers with crawl control that were not looking for trouble did not get into any- so 4 runners can do this run too ;).

We went up an abandoned service road, getting up was a bit trick as there were a few off camber sections into the drop off (which means I nearly had underwear issues), we got up there, looked around and came back down. If someone has an itch they need to scratch- yet are unable to go on a long one feel free to let me know and hopefully we can coordinate something.

I am planning on holding pretty tight timelines so pump your tires, pack your food, the night before so we can start at a good time and be done at a reasonable time. Last time I went we were done at about 3-4 some headed back to Edmonton, I camped close by and it was fun.

Eric and I are interested in doing something Sunday Leo. You'd have to give us info on trail head so we know where to camp Sat night.

Eric and I are interested in doing something Sunday Leo. You'd have to give us info on trail head so we know where to camp Sat night.

I'll look up the trailhead- can you guys send me your emails so we can communicate more efficiently?

if I get a bunch of work done at home it's a possibility for me but not a certainty. Been to many days away from home and working thses days so may need to stick it out

if I get a bunch of work done at home it's a possibility for me but not a certainty. Been to many days away from home and working thses days so may need to stick it out

BRING DUMPSTER.

I've been unable to find the map of the trail I did up to the old fire tower, it was a trail up into an abandoned fire tower. I have pictures, but I disable the gps tracking on them so I have literally nothing. Kind of bummed out.

Tyler- when I went on that trip you asked me where I had gone, you had mentioned you had been up there. Any chance your memory is a bit better than mine ?

Otherwise, I can take suggestions, I did a search online for more info but no luck.
If you range rover guys with closeted hots for Land Cruisers are reading, I did this trail with the Alberta Range Rover club.

Well... my dear ex was kind and helpful enough to look through her photos and find the gps coordinates for that day trip up to the abandoned fire tower. Thank you.

I have emailed the coordinates eric, jason and mike, if anyone wants them I can do so as well.

I would say this run was a success, even if I didn't participate in the end due to work commitments.
Saw some pictures that looked pretty exciting.

I spent a number of evenings doing getting as many maintenance items off my list as I could leading up to Sept Long weekend. Rear brake pads and rotors, rear hatch and hood gas struts, install skid plate, get lockers functioning, replaced drivers window run and motor and oil change. Turns out the oil leaking on engine side was a faulty filter, so that was a good news and a cheap fix.

The weather was dismal when Eric and I finalized plans to camp south west of Caroline and run a trail on Sunday. We rolled into camp after 2.5 hours on pavement and 1 hour dodging cattle on gravel roads. The rain clouds cleared off as we pitched our tents and cooked dinner and enjoyed a fire under the starry night sky. John and Jeremy had been dirt biking there and joined Jason Roslyn & kids, and Eric & Tori. Our only task was to eat the amazing donuts that Tori brought from Didsbury.

The next morning dawned clear and sunny and after a relaxed breakfast we packed our gear, loaded up and hit the road just when the horses ran through our camp site! Jeremy led in his stock HDJ81, with Erics FZJ80 and Jason's HDJ81 following. Back to Forestry Trunk Road and soon we were at the trailhead. Guarded by another herd of wild horses. Lara was having the time of her life seeing all these magnificent creatures!

The trail started right off with trenched climbs, hairpin turns, and some sketched out for all each of us on the way up. Got to try out the new winch! The seismic line was wide enough for our vehicles, and went straight up some really steep pitches, most of which had bypasses when needed. Rocks, dirt and the odd coal seam gave nice traction in the dry conditions we had. One bypass had our wagons threading the needle through stumps and trees to get back to the main trail. Off camber wheeling wasn't exciting enough for Roslyn so she had to run 8.5Km straight up and down the hills and double back to meet the cruisers. I walked up a few hills for recovery and spotting and couldn't imagine wanting to run them. We ended up about 6 hours on the trail with a break for lunch.

Weather was perfect, the trail was great, and the company was better. It was a great way to spend the day! Sorry you missed it Leo, and Mike. hope to see you all on the trail soon, or beers and wings!

A few photos. I didn’t take many.

F0EEA05A-58B3-4988-BD3C-DA75346A2104.jpeg

2FE5F2C5-00A4-4304-ACF9-4AA633A8B6DF.jpeg

83EC2905-CFEC-4A5E-ACDF-420FFEEA4DB6.png

7DCC28C8-B6A3-44E8-B4D9-93D5361450AE.jpeg

It turned out to be exactly what I needed, a great relaxing drive through the bush with some good people. The trail was great fun, I found out my tires rub the frame rails in the rear when REALLY stuffed.

I only have one thing to add to Jason's post, it was actually my idea to get the donuts hahaha. Oh and they were from Spruce View.

Leo, for the record your coordinates for the old watch tower are past Cow Lake. Before the new tower on Baseline Mountain. I was up there the friday evening before with a Swiss Army knife of available steeds.

20180824_195736.jpg

20180824_183240.jpg

that's awesome Eric glad you guys had a good one, sounds like the trail you took was a better one to take. Nice steeds, oh and land cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom