Custom soft top for LJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For a number of years, I have been working on a design reminiscent of the old CJs with the flat, military style back. Since the rovers, cruisers, patrols, etc had the same type of top back in the day, it goes without saying that there will be an recognizable kinship there. At the request of another member, here are some pictures. A few more straps are required and there is some binding that needs to be added but you can see the basic top here in it's various configurations. There is a different look/funtion for every day of the week.

This is what I was trying to emulate originally:

The beginning:
MyJeepingaragebeingworkedon.jpg

Bikini-a few straps are missing in this pic ...
26e433fc.jpg

Early stages of the full safari top:
1187.jpg

front quarter panels and safari
c5ae5aef.jpg

Before windows with window panels rolled up
34251526.jpg

The edges will pull tight with the addition of the vertical zippers
927f4f3f.jpg

95e57505.jpg

Very nice... Bows are very fj40 like... Top is very landyish

Nice job... Close up of your top to rear bow and rear curtain attachment

Can you have the rear curtain without top bow? Not that you would want to drive like that... Just wondering

Very nice... Bows are very fj40 like... Top is very landyish

Nice job... Close up of your top to rear bow and rear curtain attachment

Can you have the rear curtain without top bow? Not that you would want to drive like that... Just wondering

On the closeup pic, do you want it from the inside I am assuming?
The back side is by far the trickiest part of the top to get right since it zipps off...
You cannot have just the back side of the top without the "safari top" installed.
It has an arched flap that both covers/attaches the the zipper and velcro on the other side. This flap connects the back side to the top portion. The top is pulled tight by way of straps that run from the underside of the rear bow to the center ("C") bow. These straps enable the "safari mode" without the back side in place.

Edit:Thanks. Yes actuallty.... They will be produced, but there will be some sticker shock since the jeep community is used to being able to purchase very inexpensive soft tops made in China at very low prices. There are several reasons for these low prices (besides being made in china). The hardware on most soft tops are made mostly of thin aluminum and plastic (there are also frameless versions) vs ours which is made from heavy gauge steel and is able to support a great deal of weight. First and foremost, this means you will not ever have to replace the frame so if you need a replacement top, things become much less expensive down the road. This also gives it the ability to become customizable (paint it, add brackets, clamps, etc for add ons). The standard jeep tops have three coil zippers and are made with inferior materials that tend to stretch and tear over time. The nicest top you can purchase ont the market right now is the OEM top which is about $1650 retail, which includes bows and sailcloth material, but the bows still tend to break easily before the material has worn out itself. Our top has a dozen of the highest quality straight zippers and is also made with sailcloth. Since most stress on zippers occur as you go around corners, straight zippers allow ease of use and cut down on breakage. There are seven pieces vs three, which gives it a great deal more complexity in manufacturing but gives you the freedom to use it in a variety of different ways for different conditions and looks.

A few pics of the finished prototype:
9689E691-E77D-415A-BB5D-EADC7CEC67C8-884-0000009FB21166C7.jpg

52AE3673-2654-402C-9EBC-FFD06F1B0C8D-147-0000000DE138BFFC.jpg

3d54d5c8.jpg

20585390-8F60-4D39-A638-84CFF03D16A2-1571-00000184D4B49C15_zps43823c45.jpg

Last edited:
We also started a list of interested parties which I will update as we progress. I plan to offer these to that list first. email is gdon AT cox
DOT net
Name
year and model
color top desired
Thanks for the question. :)

Last edited:
Wow, I had forgotten I put this up here. I was helping someone with their soft top design for their FJ40 and I mentioned my top so they asked me to put the info up. That's a great looking LJ. Yes, these are finally on their way later this year. Here is the website: www.americanconvoy.com
Thanks,
Greg

That's a really cool looking top! I think the white wheels definitely help complete the look.

Darn you! Yet another thing to add to the wish list for my LJ!!!

I am eagerly awaiting them, name is on the list, hopefully it get here before the weather turns cold.........hint hint :clap:

Yes.. Just have a few out on the road and getting ready to ship about 20 tops. Just putting together an installation video. The bad news is that they take a long time to make and are expensive but they turned out really nicely. www.americanconvoy.com. We have a large backlog right now but doing our best..

Reviving an old thread

I have one of Greg's tops. It's amazing! well made down to the nuts and bolts. Everything is quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom