Custom built Tear drops ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ordered an Escapod....built in Coalville Utah

optional suspension.....solar.....stove....hot water/shower...electric brakes....articulating hitch etc

using my own 17" AT tire/wheel pkg to match GX 460

I do have a RTT I may mount on rack...not sure

We had one built by Snowy Mountain Campers 2 years ago. At the time it cost 11.5K Not much I would change, but they did produce a more off-road oriented model based on ours that looks pretty sweet.
Cheers,
Scot
IMG_3036.jpg
DSCF0848.JPG
DSCF0816.JPG
44836550_486798355158506_7342952285703503872_n.jpg
101715722_873531953151809_557657458495979520_o.jpeg

The prices you guys are willing to pay for these is just crazy in my mind. In all seriousness, there's maybe $2k in parts and 100 hours in any of these commercial built teardrops.

I suspect that your estimate of the hours involved and the cost of all materials is very optimistic. All of the little gubbins add up very quickly. A competent and efficient production line *might* be able to build it in that time frame, but I'd guess closer to double that. What does employer bill an hour of your work at? Assuming $50/hr, your actual cost to your employer is probably closer to $100/hr, and then they're going to want to make a profit on that, so figure they bill you at $150-$200/hr. If you built it at $150/hr and it only took that 100 hrs it is still $15,000 in labor alone. Factor in their other overhead costs and discounting for a likely lower wages cost, I'm still pretty sure that they are not going to rival Bill Gates any time soon.

You clearly don't know the type of internet expert that populates Expi. There are self-degreed experts in all professions there, particularly those of design and Engineering. Just ask them, they'll tell you. In some ways Expi makes the POR of old look tame, though the language used is more civilized...

For those thinking of building your own, here's a great resource: Best Free Teardrop Trailer Camper Plans and Walk-Throughs
I'm no cabinet maker, but using cabinet grade plywood (2nds), aluminum sided and topped, it's totally reasonable to build one of these for ~$2500 (and done nicely). Think outside the box, be thrifty, look for deals. If you have kids, get them involved. It's a safe DIY project for littles to get their hands dirty.

I have no doubt that I could have built a trailer for less than I paid. However, I'm also smart enough to know I would have ended up with nowhere near the build quality. I could have also purchased a mass manufactured travel trailer built from cheap materials destined to fail in a few years. Honestly I'm okay with spending more to get a trailer with a scratch built professional frame and quality materials. Additionally, all the body support is squared aluminum tubing welded by a boat builder. I have zero doubt my trailer will be around years after I am gone.
Cheers,
Scot

Considering I've built one (and a number of rigs), I doubt I'd "have my head handed to me." Nice try running your neck though.
Well, open your own business. Since the off road trailer market has exploded, companies are a dime a dozen and you're not the only one complaining about cost. If you can build as cheap as you say, you'd be a big hit.

You clearly don't know the type of internet expert that populates Expi. There are self-degreed experts in all professions there, particularly those of design and Engineering. Just ask them, they'll tell you. In some ways Expi makes the POR of old look tame, though the language used is more civilized...
That's the pot calling the kettle black. I notice you haven't got into any discussions in that thread on ExPo. Not that it matters, but it's easy to criticize with no skin in the game.

Well, open your own business. Since the off road trailer market has exploded, companies are a dime a dozen and you're not the only one complaining about cost. If you can build as cheap as you say, you'd be a big hit.

That's the pot calling the kettle black. I notice you haven't got into any discussions in that thread on ExPo. Not that it matters, but it's easy to criticize with no skin in the game.
Nah, I'd rather help some people out by giving them that "you've got it bro" so that they'll take up what is a simple, and fulfilling project on their own.
I like though how you try to come across as an expert in all of this when a person (with experience) is just trying to throw out that it can be done, a lot less expensively than commercial offerings. You happen to own a teardrop/offroad trailer that you've built?

Same user name over there, search my posts.

Nah, I'd rather help some people out by giving them that "you've got it bro" so that they'll take up what is a simple, and fulfilling project on their own.
I like though how you try to come across as an expert in all of this when a person (with experience) is just trying to throw out that it can be done, a lot less expensively than commercial offerings. You happen to own a teardrop/offroad trailer that you've built?
Oh, I'm the one trying to "come across as an expert in all of this"? I make a couple of basic, non technical suggestions and you get your nose out of joint....is what I see happening. I do like your DIY suggestions though. (I'm trying to be positive, here.) I also agree that the prices for commercial built trailers seems quite high, but I understand that the profit margin is quite slim, so that's tough to constructively criticise. I do own a commercial built trailer (thread mentioned in my sig) I bought used, that I've made a few (IMHO) improvements and continue to make - that may be an option the OP could do, provided he find one suitable for him. Not everyone has the room, tools or skills you claim, to build one from scratch. What seems "simple" to you, may be extremely difficult to others. If you "dive in" and buy the materials - and they're not cheap - you're commited! Forums like this are a great resource for ideas and help to accomplish one's dreams.

Oh, I'm the one trying to "come across as an expert in all of this"? I make a couple of basic, non technical suggestions and you get your nose out of joint....is what I see happening. I do like your DIY suggestions though. (I'm trying to be positive, here.) I also agree that the prices for commercial built trailers seems quite high, but I understand that the profit margin is quite slim, so that's tough to constructively criticise. I do own a commercial built trailer (thread mentioned in my sig) I bought used, that I've made a few (IMHO) improvements and continue to make - that may be an option the OP could do, provided he find one suitable for him. Not everyone has the room, tools or skills you claim, to build one from scratch. What seems "simple" to you, may be extremely difficult to others. If you "dive in" and buy the materials - and they're not cheap - you're commited! Forums like this are a great resource for ideas and help to accomplish one's dreams.
Yeah, does "get your head handed to you" ring a bell? When you preface a "conversation" like an a******, expect a like response.

Yeah, does "get your head handed to you" ring a bell? When you preface a "conversation" like an a******, expect a like response.
I get where you're coming from, but have you even looked at the thread? Despite @ntsqd 's description, it does have some interesting conversation in it that's pertinent to this thread. Might even learn something.
Edit: Also might explain why I "prefaced the conversation" as I did....Just sayin'

Last edited:
Your user name is not in that thread at all.
On purpose. After being told that my actual college degree in Engineering mattered less than an "internet degree" in another thread I realized that whole forum was a waste of my time. Look at what I HAVE posted here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom