Cruiser Outfitter's 55-Specific Suspension Kit - Advice Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
Piggers

A few weeks ago I purchased the 55-specific suspension kit from Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters. The kit is comprised of Old Man Emu spring packs and shocks, along with goodies such as anti-inversion grease-able shackles and bushings. Good stuff.

The kit requires moving the rear hanger back by roughly 5" (I've heard rumor this is because the rear springs are built for a 70-series). Now, I could use some help...

1) Who out there has used this set up before? If you have...
2) How many leaves did you take out of the rear to lighten up the load, if any?
3) How far back did you truly move the hanger? I'm still targeting the 2.5"-3.0" lift, I just want a softer ride.

Kurt provided some loose guidelines but I'm hoping for more detail from you all. Pictures are helpful but not required. Please chime in!

Calvin

Piggers

A few weeks ago I purchased the 55-specific suspension kit from Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters. The kit is comprised of Old Man Emu spring packs and shocks, along with goodies such as anti-inversion grease-able shackles and bushings. Good stuff.

The kit requires moving the rear hanger back by roughly 5" (I've heard rumor this is because the rear springs are built for a 70-series). Now, I could use some help...

1) Who out there has used this set up before? If you have...
2) How many leaves did you take out of the rear to lighten up the load, if any?
3) How far back did you truly move the hanger? I'm still targeting the 2.5"-3.0" lift, I just want a softer ride.

Kurt provided some loose guidelines but I'm hoping for more detail from you all. Pictures are helpful but not required. Please chime in!

Calvin

Hey Calvin. I’m in the middle of this and would be finished had UPS not lost my box. Come read my thread.

Also, by the time you get ready to put yours on I’ll be able to tell you how I like my 3 leaves removed.

The suspension install starts here

The Warthog - 1977/73 combo

Goodness. Ask and ye shall receive. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

There are so many great build threads in this Pig corner, but such gems of knowledge can end up buried. Thanks for saving me a bunch of time. Cheers!

Regards

Calvin

Yeah. That’s the problem with these perpetual threads like I have. If you don’t follow along you don’t see the tech. I overpost but I try to tag stuff to help people find it in searches.

That said I like your title. Maybe that will help others and we can see how others do it too.

Pictures are helpful but not required.
Calvin,

I have the same 55-specific suspension kit from Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit , I moved my rear hanger back exactly 5”. I originally removed 3 leaves but have reinstalled them now.

I’ve read that guys have fought removing the rivets on the rear shackle hangers and drilling the new holes in the frame, I spent about a half hour doing both of mine and that includes beer breaks. First you’ll need a good air hammer (I have one you can borrow if you need) and the correct chisel for removing the rivet head, I also predrill the heads to make popping them off easier (a quality split point bit will save you time and effort so don’t use Home Depot bits here)

These are the bits you’ll need from McMaster Carr. Order extra 1/8" and 1/4" bits.
Center punch the center of the head then use the 1/8” bit first followed by the ¼” bit and chisel the head off. The 3/8” bit is what you’ll use to drill the new holes in the frame to remount the hanger.
drill.jpg

This is the proper chisel for removing rivet heads.
chisel.jpg

Picture from when I first installed the kit.
IMG_20131022_153205_802_zps46ab418d.jpg

Picture how it sits now with the leaves reinstalled.

broken.jpg

Last edited:
I installed the kit about 2 month ago. Rear hanger back 5 inches. Didn't remove any leaves, actually added 2 add-a-leaves to the front driver side to help with the cruiser lean.

I need to see that lol

Calvin,

I have the same 55-specific suspension kit from Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit , I moved my rear hanger back exactly 5”. I originally removed 3 leaves but have reinstalled them now.

I’ve read that guys have fought removing the rivets on the rear shackle hangers and drilling the new holes in the frame, I spent about a half hour doing both of mine and that includes beer breaks. First you’ll need a good air hammer (I have one you can borrow if you need) and the correct chisel for removing the rivet head, I also predrill the heads to make popping them off easier (a quality split point bit will save you time and effort so don’t use Home Depot bits here)

These are the bits you’ll need from McMaster Carr. Order extra 1/8" and 1/4" bits.
Center punch the center of the head then use the 1/8” bit first followed by the ¼” bit and chisel the head off. The 3/8” bit is what you’ll use to drill the new holes in the frame to remount the hanger.
View attachment 1787445

This is the proper chisel for removing rivet heads.
View attachment 1787446

Picture from when I first installed the kit.
IMG_20131022_153205_802_zps46ab418d.jpg

Picture how it sits now with the leaves reinstalled.

View attachment 1787457
Hmmmm BEER :beer::beer::beer::beer:. Gives incentives :rofl:.

Calvin,

View attachment 1787457

Jim, really appreciate the thorough review and recommendations (as is typical). I think I can wrangle up an air hammer from Dan or Tasche, but will let you know. I'll definitely pre-order the bits you linked - after reading others' threads I'd prefer the 30-minute job (including beer!) versus days of frustration and injury.

I had way more luck with my carbide bit and air grinder.

Also, my goal with the OME was to improve the ride over my stock suspension.

I have no plans ever to run a bigger tire than a 33” (of which were on already and did not rub)

Therefore I am in the remove leaf camp, not add them.

I am building a rear bumper and some point and if I get the squats I’ll add some back

I installed the kit about 2 month ago. Rear hanger back 5 inches. Didn't remove any leaves, actually added 2 add-a-leaves to the front driver side to help with the cruiser lean.

so i'm not the only one with the lean on my 55? that's good to hear, i guess. I ended up going with Alcan springs so I could just keep my stock hangers in place. The ride is real nice, but I have some body roll. I guess my truck was made 1 month after they quit installing the sway bar at factory. Trying to round up the parts to install one.

I wish I was closer to one of you guys with the cruiser outfitters kit, I'd be really insterested to see how it compares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom