Cruiser Mods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just about have enough money in my “Hidden From My Wife Cash For Cruiser Fund” to do my first big mod on the 100 series. I’m having trouble deciding what to go with. Torn between suspension upgrade, bumper/winch, rock sliders, skid plates, roof rack, or save a little more and get an air compressor and a rear locker. Any ideas or suggestions.

What’s your ultimate goal? Do you simply want something to keep Bambi out of the grill or do you anticipate spending time off-road and need additional protection?

The only way you'll really know what's needed is to just get out there in the woods, do some offroading, etc and see IF anything's really needed. Let her drive and maybe your wife will get into it... who knows? Maybe all she wants is a Gazelle T4 tent, etc?

Do you have a decent inflator compressor? Maybe a Viair 400? Do you a rapid tire deflator to make your life easier yet? How about some recovery boards and other recovery gear like soft shackles, snatch strap, aluminum receiver recovery shackle adapter, etc?

Many on this forum aren't getting out in the woods, so the priorities are not really known.

As far as more expensive upgrades go, of those you mentioned, given the landscapes in the SE, I'd seriously consider the rear locker install. That'll make a huge difference in making your rig more offroad capable.

So I just about have enough money in my “Hidden From My Wife Cash For Cruiser Fund” to do my first big mod on the 100 series. I’m having trouble deciding what to go with. Torn between suspension upgrade, bumper/winch, rock sliders, skid plates, roof rack, or save a little more and get an air compressor and a rear locker. Any ideas or suggestions.
I am a big fan of sliders, skids, and recovery gear first. I wouldn't spend money on other big items until you wheel enough to know you need them. What year is your 100?

Your 02 has ATRAC and is capable of some pretty amazing things without lockers. You just have to get to know the system and learn how to work the throttle to get the most out of it. I’ve wheeled with lots of ATRAC 100s and they can go 95% of where locked 100s go. Also lockers aren’t always the best option over here because of wheel spin in slick off camber situation. A lot of times ATRAC actually works better because it won’t spin you into a rock wall or tree.
My thinking on sliders and skids vs bumpers is that you probably plan on replacing the bumpers in the future so why not wait until you need to when you damage one. What you don’t PLAN on replacing is rocker panels, doors, transmissions, transfer cases, and oil pans, so why not protect them early on to keep that from happening?

Your 02 has ATRAC and is capable of some pretty amazing things without lockers. You just have to get to know the system and learn how to work the throttle to get the most out of it. I’ve wheeled with lots of ATRAC 100s and they can go 95% of where locked 100s go. Also lockers aren’t always the best option over here because of wheel spin in slick off camber situation. A lot of times ATRAC actually works better because it won’t spin you into a rock wall or tree.
My thinking on sliders and skids vs bumpers is that you probably plan on replacing the bumpers in the future so why not wait until you need to when you damage one. What you don’t PLAN on replacing is rocker panels, doors, transmissions, transfer cases, and oil pans, so why not protect them early on to keep that from happening?
Thanks for the info. The Atrac has always been good to me. My reason for bumper as a first option is because I’m really going for a winch cause I do some wheeling without other vehicles. I know it’s not necessary to get a new bumper for a winch but I’d rather do them together. Really considering sliders too. I have the stock skids that give some, but not great, protection.

Gotcha. A winch is a definitely a good reason to do a front bumper. What bumper and winch are you leaning towards?

I'd do a slider, suspension and 40 gallon replacement tank and maybe an aux tank. Toss the spare in the back until you want to get a rear bumper or hitch tire carrier.
If you are going to do a fridge then add a dual battery system in the future.

ARB bumper. Budget will determine winch. A warm would be great but ??
Yeah Warns are $$$$. I run a 12K Ironman on my 200 and I ran a 12k Smittybuilt X20 on my 100. Nether one has let men down. I have a few friends that are running the Harbor Freight Apex 12K synthetic on their 100s and ive really been impressed with them. I say unless you are making a living with your winch save the money that you would spend on the warn and use it on armor.

Yeah Warns are $$$$. I run a 12K Ironman on my 200 and I ran a 12k Smittybuilt X20 on my 100. Nether one has let men down. I have a few friends that are running the Harbor Freight Apex 12K synthetic on their 100s and ive really been impressed with them. I say unless you are making a living with your winch save the money that you would spend on the warn and use it on armor.
I didn’t think about harbor freight. They’re cheap enough to buy 2 and keep a backup in case it breaks. Lol

Yup. They are not bad winches. I think they even offer longer term no-questions asked exchange policy for a few dollars more JIC something does happen but again, ive been impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom