Cruiser Lean Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been meaning to post about this and just getting around to it now. The 1984 we acquired a couple years ago cam with a freshly installed OME 2.5” lift kit and all new springs. It was installed by a reputable shop in CO and looking at the springs, they appear to be correctly installed. However, the rig leans on the driver’s side a little and being OCD about stuff, I want to see if I can correct it.

Need some help from the expert brain trust here. Taking a look at the springs, it appears that the left side has slightly less curvature. Could that be? Seems improbable to me, so I took some measurements. Using a flat level floor, I measured to the front and rear of the spring mounting points and also to the center plate mounting points. Here are my results.

EFB5A71B-657E-4BFB-AE03-42E9088D61CD.jpeg

As you can see, the left side front and rear mounting points are closer to the ground suggesting that there is less curvature to those springs. If they had just a little more arc, then the mounting points would be a little higher. The center points are pretty close left to right, so all is good there. I looked at the spring labels and based on my research, they should be correct. If I remember correctly, they are the same part number/type left and right.

Any thoughts on what could be going on here? I know that LC's are notorious for lean, but they don't have to. I see lots of rigs on here that do not lean. Sure could use some help from some experts who have seen this before. Thanks!

I understood with the OME springs, they used to make an 'A' side spring and a 'B' side spring and the differences were that one was arched slightly more than the other (I think A more than B maybe?) to counteract this cruiser lean issue. With the newer DAKAR springs I think they went to a +, o, - system to help dial in the springs from side to side. Since you now have the measurements, likely just some strategically placed AALs or leaf removal would correct this for you. I think that's the solution most go with. Maybe check for markings on your springs to see if you can just swap them side to side. Mine leans too but I have not bothered to correct it. From Cruiser Outfitters site:

Why the A & B sided rear leaf springs?

In some Old Man Emu applications, the manufacture has developed "sided" rear leaf springs in an attempt to eliminate the instance of lean in the finished product. The "A" spring is generally slightly taller (1/2" or less) than the "B" sided spring. We make every attempt to get the right springs order from day one. We select A/A, A/B or B/B springs depending on recommendation from Old Man Emu's engineers and tech department as well as our experiences with past installation. For example the 1st generation Tacoma's will always get an "A" and a "B", with the taller "A" spring going on the drivers side of the vehicle. However for a standard 60 Series application we most often use an A/A or B/B setup, with the A/A resulting in slightly more rake and the B/B resulting in a more level stance. We have received several calls immediately after an install with a leaning truck, in all but a couple cases they have leveled out to an acceptable level. Some don't like to think they need to "break" in their springs, but it works. We ask that you allow your springs to settle in under load and off-road use for at least 4-6 months before making any attempts to correct lean. When applicable (springs offered with an A or B) we will discuss the best options at the time of ordering.

What do the +,o,- marks on my spring mean?

OME/Dakar spring will often have a +, o, or a - painted on one end of the leaf spring, so what does that mean? The + means slightly over spec, and when we say slightly it wasn't enough to consider the spring an error rather it is by design. The o is exactly at spec and the - slightly below spec, again by design. As the drivers side of a vehicle often has more weight, its common to use a + on the drivers side and a o or a - on the passenger side. Or, a o on the drivers side and a - on the passenger. The total difference side to side is likely just 1/8"-1/4" but it can be just the right amount to level the vehicle. This is particularly important when A and B springs are not offered such as many of the newer spring applications.

Some decent info on their site on the ins and out of OME springs:

Years ago even new cruisers had a lean issue which Toyota actually made a kit to correct. Seems like it was just a block you put between the axle and spring to lower one corner of the truck to level it out some if memory serves. HTH.

Thanks Gretsch. Yeah I was aware of that article and checked what springs I have. It’s been a while, but I seem to remember that I have A springs both sides. I’ll be home next week and will look again. I tried calling the shop that did the work, but didn’t get anywhere with them. Maybe I’ll try again.

Yeah I was aware of that article and checked what springs I have.
Any thoughts on what could be going on here?

I am not sure totally why cruisers lean like they do other than the fact that there is usually always a driver weighing down one side of the truck. Maybe the offset axles have something to do with applying more force to one side of the truck than the other in such a way that it flattens the springs more on the driver side. Long side of the axle acts like a fulcrum against the drivers side as you drive the truck. Not sure that's right but maybe someone else can chime in on that. Its likely a combination of things but I don't think there is any real secret sauce to correcting it other than simply mixing and matching spring leaves/packs or driving with counter weight in the truck until it gets level side to side. If you have A version spring packs on both sides then you can either simply remove a leaf on the pass side packs and see if that levels it out some. Another alternative is to get an AAL from OME (OME D1XL, etc) and add it to the driver side. I would simply look at getting B packs for the pass side and replace the A packs currently in there.

Before I did anything I would call Kurt and crew at Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit and get the correct parts for your truck. Tell them what's going on and I would be shocked if they couldn't, over the phone, guide you to a solution. GL and HTH.

Thanks again @Gretsch. Yeah it is puzzling to me too. I don't think it matters if I am in the truck or not, it leans the same either way. I am thinking that maybe there are under spec springs on the left side or over spec springs on the right side - maybe mislabeled? Seems unrealistic that they would mislabel two and ship both of them for my retrofit. I don't know, stranger things can happen I suppose.

Good idea on contacting Kurt and team. I will do that and send them my measurement drawing to see what they say. I'd hate to have to buy two more springs when a whole new kit was already installed, but if I want to fix the issue...

I had some lean on mine with an OEM medium rear/front 2.5" lift. I wanted more support in the rear for the added weight from the Dobinsons bumper and towing my Venturist offroad camper. I went with 3 add-a-leaf springs. 2 on the Driver side and 1on passenger. It seemed to fix the lean. I would think 1 add-a-leaf spring on the lower side would fix the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom