!!cruiser and mechanics noob needing serious help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a 89 FJ62 for $2500. it is in pretty okay condition. anything else going wrong with it i wouldn't have bought it. Some minor bumper dents, right high beam cracked, grill is chipping, drivers door handle gone, trim below doors and trunk where TOYOTA reads is rusted and chipping, horn doesn't work, drivers seat back swings, rear wiper arm rusted but works, new front wipers, e brake is stuck, stearing wheel wiggles when driving and needs alignment and all this is gonna cost me around $2500 at the mechanic, tires $1400, mirrors $900, new shocks and brake pads and other small bits are running me $1200. I need some help! Gotta do most of this myself and never have before. Advice or anything please. Will post pics soon.

Also, I want to paint it myself, what sort of paint and steps do I need to take to do that?

Thanks!

1. slowdown! No way in hell i am paying $900 for mirrors or $1400 for tires.
2. What are you going to do with it? If trail rig then who cares about trim etc.
3. Almost every part you listed can be obtained here on mud under the classifieds section.
4. Get yourself a copy of the fsm's for your truck.

1. slowdown! No way in **** i am paying $900 for mirrors or $1400 for tires.
2. What are you going to do with it? If trail rig then who cares about trim etc.
3. Almost every part you listed can be obtained here on mud under the classifieds section.
4. Get yourself a copy of the fsm's for your truck.

X2 ^^^ you need a new mechanic, fella.

J

I would wager that your extensive list is only a partial tally of what you will end up doing. Not to discourage you, but when you get one that hasn't been babied, you have a lot of catching up to do. Some of the things on your list are far more important than others. A cracked headlight is a low cost, low time thing. In fact, you probably can go to any junk yard and get one for a couple of bucks that will carry you for a while. Brakes and steering are important and fall into the "must do" category.

Before you go much further, it would be smart to define what are reasonable expectations...fun wheeler?, daily driver? show queen? camper/expedition rig?, long road tripper with wife and kids? Depending on the condition of your rig, some of these goals may be an unrealistic dream...if not unrealistic, at least exorbantly expensive.

I would suggest that you post photos of the rust you are mentioning. There are numerous people on the board that can advise you on whether it is serious or not. I would hate to see you put a lot of coin in a rusty rig. Take photos of the frame for the last 1/3 of the vehicle.

You will save a lot of money by doing your own work whenever you can. This board can tell you where to get the best deal on parts, new and used. There are people here who have hoards of used parts for sale at reasonable prices. (Put the missing door handle on the Wanted list.)

Again, put up some photos and tell us what you want to do with the rig.

Ignore the cosmetics for now and straighten out the mechanical stuff. I'd expect $90 for mirrors...$900 is simply ridiculous.
Your questions have all been answered here before. Spend time poking around the 60's section and you'll find all you need to know. Post up when you need further clarification on something. BTW, we have a specific paint and body section which will answer that side of your plans.

I'm using it as a daily driver and less of a bash around rig. i got some clarification from the email the mechanic sent me, the shocks and brake pads and such is included in the $2,200 expense. he says he is gonna make the chrome on the mirrors shine again and clean them up completely for free. i knew $1400 was a to for tires!

Are you in L.A. or LA ?

As people have been saying, you need to address serious safety/driveability issues first and foremost.

Get yourself a headlight, make sure you have brakes, a horn, a way to steer, and unstick your e-brake.

When that is done, start thinking about tires, rust trim pieces, etc.

Do you have NO mirrors, or just crappy ones? I, for one, would be very interested in these $900 mirrors.

If its drivable....

I'd urge you to take it to Canoga Park and let Richard at K&H Imports give you an estimate for what your Cruiser actually needs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom