Cross-Country Road Trip Preps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Been a long time lurker, and more recently purchased a new to us (as of June ’16) 03LX470. Love the car so far and its really capable from the small trips I’ve done.

To cut to the chase, my wife and I are looking to do a cross-country trip this December. Plan is CA to NY for a friend’s wedding and back. However, we will be taking it easy, stopping along the way so we can explore parks, so light hikes, and meet friends and family. The time frame I was looking at is 3 weeks. I’ve done many CCRT’s before, but the furthest was to Detroit in a rental, and once in my Mazda 3 Hatch (my DD at the time). I’ve always posted/blogged about our trips, and will be doing the same this go-around. The idea of a RT, for me, isn’t to save money as some people may think, it’s about the journey itself – to explore, relax and enjoy the scenery.

Had a couple questions on what I should get looked at for the car and wanted recommendations as well on products & gear, must-see places, and things to do.

Things I had planned & items which needed to be bought (NTP = Need to Purchase)

Car:
• Plan to keep the interior empty as possible and use it for sleeping with sleeping bags during our mini-stops. We will be stopping at friends/family on the way to/fro NY as major rest stops
• Need to get the interior detailed, don’t care too much about exterior since in good condition when bought
• Maintenance:
o Need to get car looked at by YotaMasters in Corona, CA if they can fit me in and get major recommendations done
o Call Lexus and see what recalls/TSBs need to be addressed, if any (last time local Lexus dealer didn't bother even though I had specifically requested it.
• Safety Gear
o Jumper cables, gloves, air compressor, recovery strap (NTP), D shackles (NTP), mini shovel (NTP), flashlights & batteries, emergency kit & food
• Tires (NTP):
o Need to replace the current set. Will be doing light to medium off-roading, driving in good amount of rain and some snow. Will use it a lot more once I’m back for my local hiking, camping, fishing and off-road trips
o Would like to get a set of GT AT2’s but not sure on size yet
o If I can’t do the AT2’s I’ll pick up a 'standard' pair of new tires
• Tech:
o GoPro for timelapse & possible drone footage in certain stops
o V1, not that I will be speeding with a massive car
o Hotspot & iOS devices
• Lighting:
o Adjust aim
o Replace bulbs (NTP)​

Luggage/Cargo:
• Bedding, clothes, & belongings
• Placement?
o Tow hitch cargo basket with waterproof bag (NTP)
• Worried about weight and changing driving dynamics (safety)
• 45G storage tote with duffle bags in it
• 5G jerry can (NTP)
• Additional spare, if not just additional tire (NTP)
• Easy to load/unload​

o Or a roof rack and use a waterproof bag (NTP)
• Worried about Wind noise?
• Potential horrible MPG ?
• Accessibility during stops
• Harder to load/unload
• 5G jerry can (NTP)​

o Or the same as above but with a standard LC/LX roof rack rails​

Route:
• AAA Maps
• iOS Waze, & plethora of other apps to keep tabs
• Northern belt going
• Southern belt on way back​

Any form of input or assistance you all can throw my way would be highly appreciated :)

Thanks!
blklnamru

Sounds like its going to be a great trip, on the cargo side I would do a roof top box , borrow one from someone if you can, or get one used. Create an over night bag to grab each night so you only need your over night bag in the truck. As for maintenance I would check your CV boots for any rips or holes, then make sure you check our heater T's... I would add a Blue tooth OBD reader to the tech list and download app like Torque to monitor and read codes. Skip the 5 g gas can and just put a 2 gallon rotopax in the roof top box (empty), doesnt sound like you need to worry about gas at all. Replace with water pack of some sort.

and carry an extra oxygen sensor at all times :banana:

Regarding your jerry can, SoCallove has the Scepters (used) for sale in the Parts for Sale section. I have a few and they do not leak--I keep them inside too :confused:

If you are going off road, think about your jack.....would you be able to change a tire with the crappy factory bottle jack. I went with the air bag style (X-jack)

Also, get a couple cans of fix a flat and a plug kit.

These things hol so much cargo, once the 2nd and 3rd row seats are removed, that I wouldn't bother with a roof rack or anything like that

Throw a spare coil pack in as well. They tend to fail at inopportune times. Might want to download the FSM to your favorite tech device as well. BT OBDII as mentioned above is great for first-line troubleshooting. Basic tools, nothing over-the-top. I've done many cross country trips in 100 series. They just rock. We just did an 1800 mile, 4 day family vacation up the Pacific Coast Highway, though the redwoods and San Francisco and back with nothing but gas. It handles 90 MPH as gracefully as fire roads and mild off road. I brought a LiIon jump-start battery, fire extinguisher, 8,10,12,13 mm combo wrench, tow strap, compressor, spare EFI relay and some road flares. I had more USB charging cables for the kids than car repair crap.

I took a big trip this past summer to MT and had my heater ts replaced, tires rotated, air filter changed, coolant swapped out and oil changed. I had my guy spend the day with it to make sure I didn't miss anything...

I had General Grabber AT2s put on when I bought it back in December, so they were in good shape. But I also bought a matching spare for my trip. I love these tires.

Once I was in Montana I topped off the tank and had an issue (quickly resolved by a visit to Mud!).

In Montana I had to change the air filter again after 100s of miles of dirt roads.

I had other issues but they all involved the poor little trailer I was towing because I had packed it full of camping and rafting gear for 4 people...

I love my Gobi rack and I am on the roof more than I ever was, but your gas mileage will suffer so know that going in. If it is just the two of you you can probably get away with not having stuff on the roof.

I used to trade in vehicles when their mileages went over 100k. I bought this one at 116k and reckon that by the time I do my next big trip (summer-long, shhhhh, don't tell my husband) in 2018 I will be pushing 200k. And I have every confidence in it.

You will have a great trip! Enjoy!

Sounds like a great plan. We just did 6500 mile in 3 weeks from NY to North Montana.

Have your mechanic check it out for a long trip, like others have said.

My two cents is on keeping stuff inside vs on top/cargo tray.

Consider getting some real big totes that layout everything in like one layer inside. I bring the kid/kids home from college this way. The few loose bags can go on top of this layer. You can pull out 4-6 really big totes fast and the floor is clean for sleeping inside. These might go up on the roof or under a tarp when your sleeping, assuming your not in bear country.

The other suggestion is to prepack and try whatever your approach is the weekend before and do a dry run of sleep setup and morning pack up. You will do this routine 42 times on the trip. Less is defiantly more here. Then be sure to take out 1/4 the stuff on the list that you "might" use. I did most of the above but we still took a bunch of extra stuff. I just shoved it out of the way constantly and we never used it on the trip.

We enjoyed driving out of camp early and making breakfast in a great spot.
IMG_3790.JPG

Enjoy!

Sounds like a great plan. We just did 6500 mile in 3 weeks from NY to North Montana.

Have your mechanic check it out for a long trip, like others have said.

My two cents is on keeping stuff inside vs on top/cargo tray.

Consider getting some real big totes that layout everything in like one layer inside. I bring the kid/kids home from college this way. The few loose bags can go on top of this layer. You can pull out 4-6 really big totes fast and the floor is clean for sleeping inside. These might go up on the roof or under a tarp when your sleeping, assuming your not in bear country.

The other suggestion is to prepack and try whatever your approach is the weekend before and do a dry run of sleep setup and morning pack up. You will do this routine 42 times on the trip. Less is defiantly more here. Then be sure to take out 1/4 the stuff on the list that you "might" use. I did most of the above but we still took a bunch of extra stuff. I just shoved it out of the way constantly and we never used it on the trip.

We enjoyed driving out of camp early and making breakfast in a great spot.
View attachment 1338173
Enjoy!

Good advice! I would add a fridge to a must have item for a trip that long.

Speaking of it, I have that fridge! You like it? Just got the slider for it too.

Good advice! I would add a fridge to a must have item for a trip that long.

Speaking of it, I have that fridge! You like it? Just got the slider for it too.

The fridge has been a true enabler. We hit a store every 3 days for fresh food and this kept eating just like at home. It runs like a champ. In a super hot car and not loaded up it seems to rise in temp by two degrees. The only complaint is that the mounting plate they have does not release properly.

This was a perfect size for two people and with access to stores every 3-4 days........

Thanks for all the great info! I think I might just go with internal storage rather than external... don't want driving dynamics to change any, additionally, its easier access and security. might shift them to the front when its time to hit the sack. Wondering if I should get sturdier storage bins and keep some planks of wood to make the bedding on top, instead of moving to front. Seems unnecessarily complicated. @cmck what are the blue water barrels? I see that look like they have pump action - link please! :)

Also, since AAA and don't plan on going anywhere too far without having a full tank I will either not take the extra fuel, or keep an empty container for when I do see a possible need. Only thing I'm worried is fumes inside. Will add the basic tools and tire plug kits to list.

Keep it coming & any places that you all have visited that stand out or is out of the ordinary that I should check out? I usually take the exit if I see anything of interest but limit it to stuff off the highway unless highly publicized and out of the way.

**EDIT**
Oh, and I'm thinking of plastidipping the front, the A pillars, and area right above the windshield/before the sunroof and everything lower than the windows on the sides. This is for anything that kicks up, stuff like rocks, gravel and salts since heading east. IH8RockChips, but welcome the 'dirty' look.

My white Mazda 3 Hatch had tons of tiny chips on the way back to CA from MI a few years back. :( Its so painful hearing the front car kick up stuff and not being able to do anything... distance and all, it didn't matter

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info! I think I might just go with internal storage rather than external... don't want driving dynamics to change any, additionally, its easier access and security. might shift them to the front when its time to hit the sack. Wondering if I should get sturdier storage bins and keep some planks of wood to make the bedding on top, instead of moving to front. Seems unnecessarily complicated. @cmck what are the blue water barrels? I see that look like they have pump action - link please! :)

Also, since AAA and don't plan on going anywhere too far without having a full tank I will either not take the extra fuel, or keep an empty container for when I do see a possible need. Only thing I'm worried is fumes inside. Will add the basic tools and tire plug kits to list.

Keep it coming & any places that you all have visited that stand out or is out of the ordinary that I should check out? I usually take the exit if I see anything of interest but limit it to stuff off the highway unless highly publicized and out of the way.

**EDIT**
Oh, and I'm thinking of plastidipping the front, the A pillars, and area right above the windshield/before the sunroof and everything lower than the windows on the sides. This is for anything that kicks up, stuff like rocks, gravel and salts since heading east. IH8RockChips, but welcome the 'dirty' look.

My white Mazda 3 Hatch had tons of tiny chips on the way back to CA from MI a few years back. :( Its so painful hearing the front car kick up stuff and not being able to do anything... distance and all, it didn't matter

The water containers I used are the 2.5 gallon ones. See this for link details Water Containers & Accessories | Reliance Products One finding is that they have to be upright or they leak. I just stood them up inside my front runner wolf pack boxes. FYI: I had plasti-dip on the wheels for over a year it held up amazingly well. The thicker it is the easier it comes off.

There are few places in the lower 48 that require jerry cans...

Good advice here so far.

I say, avoid the tow hitch cargo basket. One of the best features of the 100 is the tailgate that you can sit on, and the separate rear hatch that facilitates access to stuff in the back. A tow hitch cargo basket would really be in the way, and sounds like a shin buster. It is also a security risk. Just keep the important stuff inside and, if needed, tie any excess to the roof rack. I have done a lot of road trips in LCs in Africa, and it is customary there to tie the extra stuff to the roof. no basket.

Consider which parts of your trip you really need to carry extra gas. Your truck can go 300+ miles on a tank of gas, and there's not many places in the lower 48 where you would need jerry cans if you pay attention. If you really might need it, carry gas in a double container (gas cans inside an action packer?) on the roof. I have bungeed regular wal-mart gas cans to the roof rack during remote trips in Alaska, but it might make a mess if you overfill the cans and they leak onto your roof. Do not carry full gas cans in the passenger compartment for more than a few minutes.

It sounds like you've got it worked out. As others have said, maybe carry an extra coil pack and a code reader. Carry jumper cables. Maybe throw some heater hose Ts and pliers in the glove box? I have changed lots of tires using the crappy factory bottle jack, no problems.

For water, I use MSR dromedary bags. They are lightweight and durable, and don't take up any space when empty.You can throw them in the back, and hang a full one from the truck or whatever when you stop to camp.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The tip on the lithium jump pack is spot on. I have the microstart XP-10 and have used it recently to jump my dead tdi (16.5:1 compression) No sweat. Also, you can recharge it in the cig lighter, and run usb-plug powered devices off of it. It is an ingenious device. Get it from a reputatble dealer to get the warranty, etc, and not a chinesium knockoff.

For maps, take a look at the Benchmark maps series. These are very accurate (where I have field checked) and detailed.....

"Less is definitely more"

I'm going to go with this piece of advice - and you're all right about the lower 48 and gas. This car gives the same range as my Mazda would have with 14 Gallons, so I shouldn't have a problem. I'll just completely fill up if I feel I'll be heading to a remote area. otherwise will stop at a local WM and purchase one!

I'll mock up interior w/ empty luggage pieces and see how it is this week.

After many long road trips in our LC and LX, don't feel like you have to be loaded up for every adverse thing imaginable. The worst we had happen to us over the years was a flat tire. you have AAA, so did we. Avoid stuff on top is possible, take only what is needed. Remove the 3rd row seats for room. The LX will amaze you at how easy it handles the road and the elements. We frequently took side trips from the highway to enjoy the views and walk some trails for a break. Most scenic driving trails can be easily handled by a loaded down LX. Weather is almost a non-factor for the LX until it becomes a national news issue. Even then, it is one of the few vehicles still running around.

You seem to be familiar with the norther routes. so I-40 and I-81 are ones we have enjoyed. I-40 to OKC follows the old Route 66 historic road with all its options. The old road through Oatman AZ is a neat trip leaving Calif. The Grand Canyon, painted desert, petrified forest, etc. are along the way. We like Flagstaff, and it is easy to spend a day exploring things around there. Albuquerque and Santa Fe are nice, especially with a blanket of snow. A trip from SF to KC along the old Santa Fe trail is interesting, but perhaps on the way back(?). From OKC to Little Rock the trip through the Ozarks lends some nice views. A swing down to Hot Springs can be interesting. Going through TN are Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville - each an attraction on their own, with the last considered a gateway to the Great Smokies. We enjoy going up I-81 through Bristol, but an alternative is to go on I-40 to Asheville and see the Vanderbilt mansion, then swing up I-26 to I-81. The Blue Ridge Parkway is easily accessed from I-81 as desired, with lots of views, wildlife, and hiking trails. A tour of Monticello is a great stop and the Shenandoah Valley makes for a nice trip with plenty of historical sites along the way. From Front Royal or Frederick it is easy to run over to DC and all the historical sites there; and from there to NY, it is a matter of picking what you want to see the most. Our LX handled snow as if it was a non-factor and the ABS works great in that it was non-intrusive compared to other vehicles I have had. Whether we were fully loaded or lightly loaded when there several days, the LX handled trails and snow as if it was at home in it.

You are about to find out why people love these vehicles so well. The LX is a great road machine and you will find it is like no other you have had on a trip before. Enjoy your trip, it sounds great.

@LXPearl thanks for the great detail you went into. some of the items you mentioned are exactly what we were looking to see and spend time with. Here's the general overall trip with major stops I would say. Not on map (because google limits the # of destinations) is Bryce, Shenandoah, and Memphis and a couple other smaller spots that I wanted to stop at, yet still on the general route.

I'll look into some of the other locations you mentioned that we're unfamiliar with.

Great to know that this car is so capable :D getting more and more excited!

map2016.png

Going over Loveland Pass on 70 might give you problems in December. I would monitor the weather out there.

Are you taking the southerly route east? Weather tends to stick with you while you are driving east...if it were my trip I would take the northern route on the way back.

Will be heading East via South, and West via North - just mapped it on google the opposite way. Trip dates are 12/16 evening - 01/07 and day to recover before 9th work.

Going over Loveland Pass on 70 might give you problems in December. I would monitor the weather out there.

Are you taking the southerly route east? Weather tends to stick with you while you are driving east...if it were my trip I would take the northern route on the way back.

Loveland Pass (HWY 6) is separate from I-70. Unless it's a blizzard out there, Loveland Pass stays open and CDOT plows it frequently (because trucks containing hazmats can't go through Eisenhower Tunnel). You can choose to stay on I-70 and go through the tunnel, or, go around and up the pass. I'd go with the pass, the views are worth the detour!

I agree with Catskills on taking the northern route last. I've seen long stretches of that route closed from snow - seems like getting to NY has a bigger time constraint than going back to CA. Going west through CO and UT has better views, too!

For your original question. Change your oil and oil filter. For your tires: Make sure your wheels are balanced and aligned properly. Can't stress that enough. Over 6,000 miles you will loose your mind if your wheels aren't balanced/aligned properly. Audiobooks audiobooks audiobooks! Makes road trips sooooooo much better. And lastly, if you're tired, chew some sunflower seeds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom