Crappy Story (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sorry but I have to vent.... I don't think the sellers or purchasers in this story are members of this club/thread/site so I will be more forthcoming in my story. To begin I wasn't exactly looking to buy another cruiser, but I happened to be looking thru the IWANNA the other day and noticed a FJ40 in there for $900, it stated that the truck ran and the body was not bad. I thought ya know that's a pretty good deal if it is true. So I called up the owners and went to see it. It was a 1975 had a working F engine and 4 speed tranny. I started it, and other than battery hesitation it fired right up. It had a decent body, nothing major the frame was intact and it had rust spots in the usual places. While I was there, somebody else was looking at it as well but I didn't give it much thought, so I tell the lady that we'd see if I could scrape up the funds and call her back. I did both later on in the evening and she informed me that she had promised to hold the vehicle for the other couple....I was like WTF???? here I was with $900 in cash in my hand and she was passing it up!!!! So I pleaded with the woman to sell first come first serve, but no dice. I spoke with her husband who told me to call back in the morning and if the other couple had not called I could have it. At around 9 in the morning I spoke with the wife who told me that the cruiser had been sold.... Needless to say I was dissapointed as I could have had a $900 running FJ40....Oh well if anyone else knows where another great deal is let me know.....

No offense, but based on your explanation, I would have done the same thing that the seller did.

"so I tell the lady that we'd see if I could scrape up the funds and call her back."

Its a good idea to take along some cash as a deposit, especially if it looks like it might be a good deal. I hope you find another one...

Great thread. Buying strategies!

I had a similar experience wihen I bought the 98 at a local used car lot. The cruiser was 4 years old then and the dealer wanted 9k less than book value at the time. I walked straight into his office and asked what the deal was, had it been in a flood? He said nope, but that he had just purchased it that day from the Cadilac dealer down the street, who took it in trade on a blingy piece of crap, who wanted the Cruiser off his lot. The used car dealer in turn explained that he too wanted a quick turn around and to make (in one day) 1k over what he paid.

As I was walking in, a lady was walking out who loved it and had just driven it, and told the dealer she had "to go ask her husband." Big mistake. I asked the dealer whether he had promised the car to her, and he said no. Without any moral hesitation, I wrote him a check for the truck without even test driving it and drove it away. Best purchase of my life.

So, moral of the story is the same as FJ40-40. If you want something and think it is a great deal make the deal right then, even if you don't have all the cash in hand. (OK, this is how Wall Street got into trouble).

My grandfather was a used car dealer and always carried several thousand in his wallet for precisely this reason. (I don't, can't, won't) Cash talks. Stick a hundred dollar bill in your wallet somewhere (out of the way from daily use) for the next time you run into a super deal. When you pull out that bill and hand it over to a seller, they know you are serious. You can even write a little receipt with all the details of the proposed sale.

In my own sordid and checkered history the few things I regret are not things done but things not done.
b

"There is a tide in the affairs of men.
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries."
Brutus to Cassius in Julius Caesar Act 4 Scene 3 by Wm Shakespeare

In my own sordid and checkered history the few things I regret are not things done but things not done.
b

"There is a tide in the affairs of men.
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries."
Brutus to Cassius in Julius Caesar Act 4 Scene 3 by Wm Shakespeare

strike while the iron is hot is as true today as when first quoted 2X on the regrets for the inaction not the action. Doc:cheers:

Andy! good point. I dont even know why i bother. Did you see those 2 piles of Landcruiser for sale on CL out in Stallings for like 2500?

Well if anyone knows of something or sees something I don't, send a link on my way..... (thanks for the info on the ones sent so far...)

I'm doing a container from AU of parts and 110 people have contacted me saying they want parts. 12 have actually sent $$$.

BTW this cruiser went on ebay the day after I almost got it and it sold for $2900....dumb luck eh?

any chance it was origonaly a Tan truck that had been resprayed baby blue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom