Craftsman 3/8" drive DIGITORK ratchet mechanism (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
My Craftsman DIGITORK torque wrench's ratcheting mechanism isn't ratcheting. Nothing appears to be broken. I opened the head, disaasembled and reassembled it, but no joy. I can't see more than one way to assemble it.

I would appreciate any insight about how this ratcheting mechanism is supposed to work and what's wrong here.

Here are the particulars:

20180226_080219.jpg

20180226_080307.jpg

Last edited:
So, after many failed attempts to find wisdom in the Googleverse, I got bored with the problem and just started fiddling. It turns out that there is only one way to put the parts together, but one of them has a built in failure mechanism. (I hate springs)

The wire spring forces the cam into the corner, locking the ratcheting mechanism. Mine had two faults (in addition to the primary one: its existence). The first was that the engagement arm has to be 90° to the wound portion; mine wasn't. The first photo is as found, the second is my approximation of what it should have looked like.

The second was easier to see, once I knew what the problem was. The wound portion was unwound, resulting it too little spring tension against the cam. A little judicious reforming and everything works as it should.

Apparently, the Craftsman design is universal, at least in this generation (I think I bought this 20 years ago). HTH someone with a ratchet problem in the future.

20180226_090632.jpg

20180226_090857.jpg

Every Craftsman torque wrench I've ever had has broken, and their lifetime warranty doesn't apply to torque wrenches. So I quit buying buying them, and spent my money on (second-hand) Snap-on torque wrenches. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom