Cracked Catalytic Converter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hiya, back with another question.

I've been doing my own research online and I've spoken to my mechanic but he's booked til next week.

I've been chasing an intermittent rattling noise for a few weeks now. I've also got a po430 code. The guys at the wheel alignment shop said it had an exhaust leak when they heard the sound upon acceleration. When idling, the sound pops up on the higher end of idle. I forgot the numbers so I could check again if its relevant. I should post a video for clarification but before we get into that..

Yesterday I got underneath to replace the downstream o2 sensors, and noticed my front catalytic converter (closest to the muffler) is cracked. What do you guys think? Should I replace the sensors & leave it at that? Add spacers & hope for the best? Idk if welding is possible here. Worst case, I replace the cat. The part # is 1741050450. New is roughly $1,050 and eBay used is $450.
tempImageTSfCQH.png
tempImagei1pzMm.png
IMG_6924.jpg

My inspection is due by 4/30. NY is really strict so I need to pass emissions.

I'd take it to an exhaust shop and have them do a quick weld/patch job on it. Probably $50-100 or so. It won't last forever (as the cat is already kind of rusty and they'll likely use mild steel welding wire instead of stainless), but should let you kick the "real" repair (cat replacement) at least a couple of years down the road.

FYI, Magnaflow also sells replacement cats that are cheaper than OEM Toyota/Lexus cats.

Also, that is the downstream cat (behind the O2 sensor), so issues with that cat won't give give you any codes. The PO430 code would be due to an issue with the upstream cat (in front of the sensor), the sensor itself, or another issue (bad upstream O2 sensor, wiring, etc).

Ahhhh ok. I didn’t know the actual cat could be welded. The connecting pipes sure, but not the main thing. I’ll take a quick patch over an expensive replacement anyday!

Yeah I saw the magnaflows, but I’ve read a lot of horror stories online about other aftermarket cats failing within the year.

Thank you good sir, for once again coming to my rescue. Hopefully a specialized exhaust shop will be more helpful, like you suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom