Coyote Flats Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Coyote Flats Run 7/18/08

Coyote Flats 2008
For the past three years I have gone to Coyote flats. Vehicles include motorcycles, quads, Land Cruiser, Polaris, and a Rhino. The trail head is just south of Bishop at an elevation of about 2k. Within the first 10 miles of the 50mile loop you get to the top at about 11.5k. Although it is hot at base camp, high 90’s, the 30 or so miles you do at the top are at least 20-25 degrees cooler. July is spring time at 11.5k and it’s absolutely beautiful up there, so much so that we keep going back. The pictures attached are from July 9th 2005 and you can still see lots of snow. At the end of the loop there are natural hot spring, Keogh Hot Springs, that we all dive into after a long day on the trail. The entire loop takes from 4 to 5 hours to complete, sometimes longer depending on mechanical failures.

This years trip has been scheduled for 7/18 to 7/20 and we already have 19 confirmed attending. This year several of us will be departing early, 7/15, and hope to do the Cerro Gordo Ghost town run. This run is just 2 miles south of Lone Pine. I did the first three miles of this once and had to turn back as it was a bit rough for the crowd I brought.

Camping has traditionally been at Taboose Creek Campground, between Independence and Big Pine. For those of you who like to fish, the creeks are stocked with trout. Licenses are available at the local sporting goods store in Independence or Big Pine. This year we are thinking of staying at Keogh Hot springs campground. They have 10 partial hook up sites and 10 primative. We currently have 9 or the ten hook up sites reserved. I will scout the campsite later this month on my way back from Tahoe and see if will be as desired. If not we will go back to Taboose Creek as usual. Taboose Creek is first come first serve.

Keough's Hot Springs

Yes this is a long arse drive from Visalia, about four hours driving 80. I’m sure towing a trailer would tack on an hour to the drive time. If you have any questions, please let me know. This is a family trip, I think everyone coming is bringing children from 13-16 years of age.
DSC00019.jpg
DSC00029.jpg
DSC00461.jpg

Last edited:
pics

More pics
DSC00024.jpg
DSC00041.jpg
DSC00462.jpg

last ones!
IMG_7860.jpg
IMG_7870.jpg
IMG_7894.jpg

man that look s fun ....mmm anyone thinking of going?

Of course if you want to go earlier, bring chains! Here a pic from the first week in June 06.
IMG_6150.jpg
IMG_6145.jpg
IMG_6147.jpg

Trip is in four weeks, anyone interested in attending?

Midlifer, we are heading up there on the 11th of July *(next weekend) and we have a adventure trailer in tow. How tight are the switch backs coming up from Bishop? Will we have any problems?

Cant wait to see this place, never been there before.

Not sure what an adventure trailer is or its length. If you are using your FJ and a trailer that is 10' there should be no problem unless you go down the back side. The back side has some long steep down hill with hairpin turns that are very tight. I would suggest that you go up to the lake and have some lunch, proceed on the trail for about 8 more miles and then double back. The back side is ugly anyhow, mostly dry desert terrain.

One of these trips I will camp out up at the lake, maybe see a bear or two!

Out Horzion is 9 feet and sits on 33's with a locknroll coupler.

Yeah we'll be coming up from the bishop side. I saw a video clip of the switch back climb up Coyote Valley Rd... not that big of a deal. Planning on camping up in Baker Creek canyon for a couple days then coming back down the same way we came in. Thanks for the 411.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom