Coyote Flats - Norcal Trip Alert (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alvarorb

Color Geek in Charge
Threads
Website
www.arb-digital.com
All systems go for another Norcal Wagon's trip. This time we'll be headed to the East Sierras, near Bishop, CA. from Friday the 19th of August to Sunday the 21st. This is a family oriented trip and is suitable for stock vehicles. Dogs are welcomed.

Things to do:
Expect to see lots of open spaces, great views, large meadows, & alpine lakes. There is an old airstrip up there that the military used for high altitude landing practices during WWII. There are also quite a bit of mines in the area.
Our plan is to set up base camp for the weekend at Baker Creek Camp and from there explore the many miles of trails in the area. Including mines and lakes. One the things we would like to do is visit the Bristle Cone forest. TBD

Food:
Bring enough food and drink for the people in your vehicle. Expect to share. We will not be in a hurry on this trip, that should give us more time to cook some nice meals. Bring what you'll need to cook your food. If you have a portable table, bring it. If you have a gas lantern, bring it along as well.

Recommendations:
Expect cold nights, since we'll be camping above 9000 ft.
Drink plenty of water. Remember, we are in the middle of summer and despite the pleasant temperatures, you can easily get dehydrated. So plan accordingly.
Firewood. Don't count on the local energy sources. Bring at least a box of firewood with you. If we get one per vehicle we should be OK.
If you play an instrument, bring it (Pascuale).
As always, alcohol is NOT tolerated while driving at any time. This is a family oriented trip.

Lodging for Thursday night:
According to Expedia.com, the Day's Inn has a price per night of $69.95 for a king bed. Reservations should be made for Thursday the 18th.

Meeting place:
We will meet at 8am Friday morning in the parking lot of the hotel for an on time departure. Please be there on time.

If you have any questions, please private message me.

Regards

Alvaro
mdws3_i.jpg

Last edited:
Damn that sounds like fun.....if I wasn't just coming back from a week of vacation the week prior!

Have fun Rob.

The trip was a blast. 11 rigs, 17 people. Great scenery, great food.
On Friday we drove up the White Mountains and got to see some very cool old trees. At 4800 years old, they are believed to be the oldest living things on the planet. By measuring their rings and the rings of dead trees around living ones, they can go back to over 10.000 year ago. This technology is so precise, that it has allowed scientists to calibrate carbon 14 dating.

Later that afternoon we drove over to the Coyote Flats area. During the 60's the military used a landing strip in the area to test aircraft landing and take off at high altitudes.

Then Saturday we visited Funnel Lake, Coyote Lake and then drove to the top of Coyote Ridge. What a view. This place sits just miles east of the Dusy- Ershim trail. Only separated by mountains that are higher than 13000 feet.

Sunday we drove back home and made a brief stop at Bodie. A ghost town on the California Desert. Very cool.

Food on this trip was amazing. We had pork & mango chili plus Andy's cobbler made on fresh site. All sorts of grilled meats. Corn, salads, cheeses, kabbobs, cold cuts, etc, etc. Plus plenty of wine and Padrón to wash it all down.

There are some many trails in the area that you could spend a week up there and not see them all.

Here are some of my pictures:

Pictures of Coyote Flats 2005

coordinates? who needs to get any stinkin' coordinates?
I won't "boycot" it next time around.

Sounds like you guys had a blast!

:D

Where's all the 40's at??? I may have to load up the Fam next year so I can REPRESENT!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom