costco or ebay solar panel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quality is mostly a crap shoot. With solar panels, the main issues are the frames and how durable and water-tight they are. The glass needs to be durable enough to not break when the frames flex or hail hits them. Panels designed for mounting on a house roof might not do as well if you strap it to a moving vehicle. The solar cells themselves aren't that important.

The Costco kit comes with a 300w inverter that is probably not great quality. I would get the cheap stand-alone panels and go from there. Get yourself a nice inverter and charger, maybe ones that can scale up if you ever need to. DMSOLAR is a somewhat name brand that has a 335W panel for $218: Solartec 335w solar panel, solar module 335w

Also, what are you wanting to do with these? That's important as well!

How much power do you need? A big house type panel will work fine but is overkill for a camping truck and usual associated loads. If you get a house type panel, you will need an MPPT controller. Two recent good deals:

1- 160 Watt 12 Volt Battery Charger Solar Panel Off Grid RV Boat 160 watt total | eBay

I have one of these and it's been great.

I also bought one of these for another truck:

Grape Solar 180-Watt Monocrystalline PV Solar Panel for Cabins, RV's and Back-Up Power Systems-GS-STAR-180W-US - The Home Depot

They seem to vary the price on this panel daily. When I bought it a month or so ago, it was $199. Then, it was $258 for awhile and now $219.

I got a Renogy 100w panel for $160 off Amazon. Its a known name and mine has stood up well for 4 years now. It has a 20 year output warranty and has given me no trouble, except where I dropped a wrench on it.... and actually got a 4 or 5 inch crack on the BOTTOM glass. I guess its not as strong as the top. Still works fine and I havent repaired it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom