SOLD Corrales NM: 1990 FJ62 A440F Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a transmission that I picked up from a guy in Santa Fe that I was going to use in my 88 FJ but ended up selling the truck before I installed it. He told me that it has about 80k miles and was removed from his 62 back in 2000 when he converted to a 5 speed. He said it was in good working order when removed. Comes with the convertor. I'll upload pics in a little bit.

Couple of pics.

IMG_20210313_133149131.jpg

IMG_20210313_133218400.jpg

IMG_20210313_133244194.jpg

IMG_20210313_133309486.jpg

The A440Fs were different between the FJ62 and FJ80. The mounting on the back is different for the full time 4WD transfer case. On the FJ62 the transfer case has to be taken apart to excess the bolts to remove the transfer case. The full time 4WD case can excess the bolts so only the nut on the tailshaft has to be removed to get transfer case off still assembled.

The A440Fs were different between the FJ62 and FJ80. The mounting on the back is different for the full time 4WD transfer case. On the FJ62 the transfer case has to be taken apart to excess the bolts to remove the transfer case. The full time 4WD case can excess the bolts so only the nut on the tailshaft has to be removed to get transfer case off still assembled.
Thank you for your knowledge. I m kinda new . Trying to pickup a local 62 also, so all is good.

@Living in the Past can the tail shaft on the end of the fj62 transmission be removed to allow it to fit the 80 transfer case?

@vegasfj40 I could really use this if it is possible to fit it in a 91 80 series or even maybe swap the parts from it into mine to keep it alive. My 80 transmission has been slipping for a while.

@Living in the Past can the tail shaft on the end of the fj62 transmission be removed to allow it to fit the 80 transfer case?

I have no idea but think it would be more than just the tailshaft. Probably the back housing as well. Because I am willing to do very little on an automatic transmission I have never compared internal parts. A free A440F is tempting. This is well within my driving range.

Last edited:
I have no idea but think it would be than just the tailshaft. Probably the back housing as well. Because I am willing to do very little on an automatic transmission I have never compared internal parts. A free A440F is tempting. This is well within my driving range.
Thanks for the information. I agree it is the right price for trying to figure it out. I told him I would take it if it is available. I will share what I find out if I end up with it.

Thanks for the information. I agree it is the right price for trying to figure it out. I told him I would take it if it is available. I will share what I find out if I end up with it.

You are certainly a lot closer. Besides collecting parts for a H55F I already have a spare T/T with 30K miles I've have been sitting on since 1996. At the time was thinking of installing it in my FJ45 since my wife won't drive a stick. That never happened and have plenty of Toyota 4X4s with an automatic for her to drive. She still prefer to drive the 04 4Runner we bought new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom