Cordless Electric Lawn Mower (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tornadoalleycruisers.org
We need to replace our mower. Unless oil coming out of the side is acceptable.

Anyway, our yard is less than 5,000 SF so I'm thinking a cordless electric mower might be a nice option.

Anyone own one of these and can make a recommendation. I don't think a reel mower is practical as we have 7 large trees that drop a lot of sticks.

Why do you hate cords? :D Actually, my MIL just purchased a house and I'm curious about electric mowers myself. I just assumed cordless wouldn't cut it. (Ew, that wasn't intended, but WTF.) Anyway, I'll ride shotgun on this thread and ask for recommendations either way.

-Spike

I have a Black and Decker cordless electric lawn mower. I like it a lot. It's light, quiet and anybody in the house can start it. It mows a suburban lot fine on one charge. The batteries lasted 7 years without trickle charging them in the winter. I just throw it in the shed and forget about it. New batteries were $130, but they were just Yuasa 12 volts. Next time I might just buy the batteries instead of buying the kit made for the mower.

If you can find a used Makita cordless mower, buy it. My buddy has one and I guess they were stupid expensive when they came out, and didn't sell many, so they dropped the product. But it kicks mucho ass over any other cordless mower I've ever used.

My FIL has a B&D. :meh: I'd rather have a nice reel mower.

I've got a B&D corded mower and like it. One thing tho, You gotta create a pattern of mowing so that the cord does not get in the way constantly like with mine I pulled the cord to the farthest side of the yard and started mowing there. That way you pull the cord to you and you don't have to cross over it taking a chance on running the cord over. Don't ask but buy a bunch of 12 ga. wire nuts and a couple of rolls of electric tape. I'm selling mine now because I got a new mower..... as mentioned earlier, no gas, oil or any other BS with a gas powered mower, throw it in the shed and forget about it until next spring. Plug it in and go.....

Reviving a 6 year old thread to see if electric mowers have gotten any better.

I've got a 1986 self propelled Honda that's been a superstar. It's puffing smoke on start and has been for a couple of years now. Ring job at a minimum that I don't know how to do, so don't suggest it plz. New Honda is $500-700 and ring job/rebuild won't be much less than that in SoCal. AQMD here in SoCal is offering an exchange program turning in old working gas mower for a new Greenstation or B&D electric mower for a minimal charge - $100-$230 depending on the model you want. Retail on the $230 exhange is $470 fo example.

Reveiws on both Greenstation and B&D are decidedly mixed to bad. I don't have a very large lawn these days...about a third of the lawn I had when I bought the mower in '86. Most bad reviews contain remarks about how batteries don't hold charge as advertised and crap out after a year or so not holding a charge at all.

Any more recent users of electric cordless mowers?

Hadn't taken a serious look at B&D reviews because, quite frankly, they've produced cheap crap for years now. Took a 2nd look at lots of reviews, not only from this link, but others, as well as customer reviews. Decidedly better than Greenstation, the other mfg that's participating in the AQMD program. Self propelled model is $250 plus my 28 year old running Honda. Going to give it a try! Stay tuned for updates. I go pick up the new one Saturday.

How many man points does it cost when purchasing electric lawn equipment? :)

My B&D was getting pretty worn out after 12 years of abuse. I was looking for parts and found they had a recall on the main board. I took it it and they replaced every part on the mower except the deck, blade and batteries under a recall. I got a new mower after 12 years. By far the best mower I've ever bought.

Which is a large part of why I don't have a gas powered mower. I can't bring myself to buy one. Too many on the curb that I can grab and get running. But they never run great. They are always half worn out. The wife and kids can't start them so I always end up mowing the yard. Not to mention you have to keep fuel around for them. Other than not being self propelled, the rechargable has been great. For some reason it holds an edge on the blade for a whole season too.

The new lithium ion battery ones should be way better.

Picked mine up Saturday. Easy instructions to assemble. Two bolts on the handle and frame clips onto the catch bag. This one still has the sealed lead acid batteries. Hope they do come out with the lithium ion replacement batteries but wasn't an option. 4 year warranty, so hopefully (LOL!) the battery will die in the warranty period! The 28 year old Honda gas mower still was a champ. Started on first pull all the time. Only issue over about the past year or so was the big puff of smoke on start up. Rings shot and who knows about the pistons. Would have cost more to rebuild than what this electric cost me, so we'll just see. Mixed feeling about scrapping a near perfect mower, but what the hell. I've gone hybrid on commuter car so why not electric on the mower!

Good luck with the warranty. My pb batteries lasted 7 years of just sticking it in the shed every fall.

There's no sticking the battery in the shed for the winter out here Gumby! LOL!!! It'll get used year round.

I have a Neuton mower, have had it about 6 years I reckon. Have to look at my receipt to know for sure. Our yard in town takes about an hour to push mow and it has no problem mowing it. I bought an extra battery when I got the mower. One will mow the yard if it is not thick, wet or tall. About one and half batteries otherwise.

Ours is the larger CE6.3 model. Only issue I have had is it started acting a bit strange this year. Then it got to where it would not shut off, I had to remove the battery or circuit breaker for it to stop. Contacted Neuton about my problems and they sent me a new circuit board for free. Fixed my problem and it works like it did when I got it new.

http://www.neutonpower.com/home.aspx?X=1&src=AW82241XE3463309&gclid=CMam_67Tqr8CFUsYMgod_FUAxw

First report on use of the new electric mower. I had the height setting a little higher than the old mower so will adjust it down one next time. I don't have a huge yard, so battery life won't ever be an issue if/when/until it starts dying. Will follow the instructions and keep it plugged in when not in use.

Suction on the mower itself picking up leaves, etc. wasn't as good. Could be the higher setting on the mower. We'll see next time. Self propell took its sweet time getting up to speed, but worked fine. On first use, didn't really care for having to hit the start button to restart the mower if I let go of the blade stop. Don't get me wrong - the blade stop is a great saftey feature that was on my 28 year old Honda. I'd just like the mower to start automatically when the blade stop lever is engaged to start the blade. After 28 years with one mower, the different placement of the blade stop and the self propelled lever will take some getting used to. Weight was fine, I think actually a little lighter than the gas powered mower. Catch bag for the clippings is somewhat smaller, but shouldn't be much of an issue with the size of my SoCal lawn! As expected, it was more quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom