Coral Canyon Saturday May 30 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few shots from Saturday. All these were pre carnage. This trail really has Mike’s number. Mike now has a matching dent to match mine frome my last misadventure 2 weeks ago.

356C34CA-7774-42E6-B676-007AB34E99C3.jpeg

0480B407-E720-44BA-AA35-BFB34C6738B4.jpeg

C61BE8C2-26CA-4D1B-9F7B-23EA5EE81198.jpeg

611C9AB6-DE91-4E82-A1D8-B3F55CC58062.jpeg

9F1CBD08-31D1-4D79-805A-78E3230EC430.jpeg

That trail does have my number! And NO, I'm not going back to conquer it! The rock that got me was the same one as last time.

So, here's what happened. I knew it was going to be tight. Not wanting to deepen my wound from last time, I went in slow. TOO SLOW. If I would have tried carrying just a little more speed (like 1mph more), I would have got my front wheels up to pull me through (yes, only the front locker). Instead, by going in slow, I broke traction with the right rear and left front. That pitched me into a little slide to the right side where the big toothed rock lives. In a panic, I turned the wheels hard left. CV's, Locker, hard turn equates to loud noises and parts flying out from under the truck! It all happened so fast! BOOM..BOOM with a split second between them. Parts literally flew out.

Now I'm not only stuck...but there's only about 1/4" between the truck and the rock. I could feel the rock stretching out trying to grab me. I was trapped inside the truck. I couldn't open the door to get out. I sat there watching everyone scramble to come up with a plan to get me out. As soon as the winch went tight, the back slid over and made contact. The rock was happy...I could feel it! The more we pulled, the worse it got. The rock even put some nicks in the window trim but the glass was spared. Brian, Michael and his friend Hayden were sitting on the rock and pushing with their feet against the roof rack (the rack came in handy). One winch pulling from the left slider to the side and another from the front got me up to where I had some 2 wheel traction. Once out of the squeeze, a small tug got me to the top. I was able to get out from there.

Many thanks to all that helped me get out of a tight spot. I'd still be there inside the truck if it weren't for you guys.

Unlike last time, I was prepared with tools, impacts, etc. We've done the 2 wheel to get home mod before so it was a lot easier/faster this time. I even had a spare CV axle this time. But only one wasn't enough. So no trail fix this time.

The CV's are OEM. They were BRAND NEW! This was the first time out since the last time I managed to break it. After everyone left to go have more "fun", I started to drive away, I got to the first left turn in the road and the wheels wouldn't turn. I got under the truck and found the broken CV hitting the back of the hub and not letting me turn left. I had to bungy the broken CV to the lower control arm to keep it from interfering with the steering. we kept it slow and made it home without issue. Fortunately, from inside my house I can only see the "good side" of the truck. I have not been out to walk around and inspect for other damage. I don't really want to know...yet.

I'm seriously considering "that trip" my last with this rig. I've spent thousands fixing it after each time out. This time will be at least 3k more. And the dent will never match the rest of the truck. I'll retire the 100 for family trips and really light trails.

I can smell an 80 in my future. And it smells GOOD!

I know where there are two great 80's for sell....:rolleyes:

My white 190K mile 1995 triple locked 80 is for sale or maybe a trade for a decent 40... Just need to settle on a fair price.
Has Slee sliders and good dual battery system. PHH repaired in the last two years, and just added the fix for the EGR check engine light.

That trail does have my number! And NO, I'm not going back to conquer it! The rock that got me was the same one as last time.

So, here's what happened. I knew it was going to be tight. Not wanting to deepen my wound from last time, I went in slow. TOO SLOW. If I would have tried carrying just a little more speed (like 1mph more), I would have got my front wheels up to pull me through (yes, only the front locker). Instead, by going in slow, I broke traction with the right rear and left front. That pitched me into a little slide to the right side where the big toothed rock lives. In a panic, I turned the wheels hard left. CV's, Locker, hard turn equates to loud noises and parts flying out from under the truck! It all happened so fast! BOOM..BOOM with a split second between them. Parts literally flew out.

Now I'm not only stuck...but there's only about 1/4" between the truck and the rock. I could feel the rock stretching out trying to grab me. I was trapped inside the truck. I couldn't open the door to get out. I sat there watching everyone scramble to come up with a plan to get me out. As soon as the winch went tight, the back slid over and made contact. The rock was happy...I could feel it! The more we pulled, the worse it got. The rock even put some nicks in the window trim but the glass was spared. Brian, Michael and his friend Hayden were sitting on the rock and pushing with their feet against the roof rack (the rack came in handy). One winch pulling from the left slider to the side and another from the front got me up to where I had some 2 wheel traction. Once out of the squeeze, a small tug got me to the top. I was able to get out from there.

Many thanks to all that helped me get out of a tight spot. I'd still be there inside the truck if it weren't for you guys.

Unlike last time, I was prepared with tools, impacts, etc. We've done the 2 wheel to get home mod before so it was a lot easier/faster this time. I even had a spare CV axle this time. But only one wasn't enough. So no trail fix this time.

The CV's are OEM. They were BRAND NEW! This was the first time out since the last time I managed to break it. After everyone left to go have more "fun", I started to drive away, I got to the first left turn in the road and the wheels wouldn't turn. I got under the truck and found the broken CV hitting the back of the hub and not letting me turn left. I had to bungy the broken CV to the lower control arm to keep it from interfering with the steering. we kept it slow and made it home without issue. Fortunately, from inside my house I can only see the "good side" of the truck. I have not been out to walk around and inspect for other damage. I don't really want to know...yet.

I'm seriously considering "that trip" my last with this rig. I've spent thousands fixing it after each time out. This time will be at least 3k more. And the dent will never match the rest of the truck. I'll retire the 100 for family trips and really light trails.

I can smell an 80 in my future. And it smells GOOD!
Man that is tough, feel bad for you brotha! Good idea though, if you want to wheel those types of trails an 80/60/40 is a good idea. That said... Nick's IFS Taco made it through no problem?

Well that's one I knew of....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom