Cooper tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking of jumping off of the BFG all terrain ship and boarding the Cooper Tires ship. I'm on my third set of BFG's. I've been reading good reviews of the Cooper AT-3 and that they perform better than the BFG A/T KO. But, the AT-3 doesn't have triple layer sidewall, which concerns me. I talked to a guy at work, who said he had friends that ran the AT-3's and they either got punctures or sliced up the sidewalls on rocks. So, I am considering either the S/T or the S/TMaxx and wondering how both of them perform compared to the AT-3.

Not sure how they compare to the AT3 but that will be what I throw on the wife's '11 4Runner when we need tires soon. I have 31x10.5x15 on my FJ60 and love them, great on road manners and have been good offroad. I do not airdown so dont know how they would do with that but I have heard some negatives on them for those that do airdown as the sidewalls are supposed to be super stiff with the ArmorTek stuff.

Gotta remember too that the BFGs come in lots and lots of flavors so they may have a more reinforced sidewall in the load rating your friends had vs. the A/T3 which is meant to be more of a standard AT vs. the more offroad AT of the BFG.

are you putting the S/TMaxx on the wife's 4runner? I have heard that the sidewall is stiff for airing down.

Sent from my SM-T700

I've been reading through a thread on the St Maxx on expedition portal. People seem to be pretty happy with them and it sounds like they are a great AT, all around. The only thing I've heard negative about them is that they are heavy compared to other ATs. My truck is a DD and I am running 31"s on 15" wheels. I'll be going up to 33"s once I can get new wheels, since I need to get a wider wheel. <br /><br />Sent from my SM-T700

Sent from my SM-T700

I am thinking of jumping off of the BFG all terrain ship and boarding the Cooper Tires ship. I'm on my third set of BFG's. I've been reading good reviews of the Cooper AT-3 and that they perform better than the BFG A/T KO. But, the AT-3 doesn't have triple layer sidewall, which concerns me. I talked to a guy at work, who said he had friends that ran the AT-3's and they either got punctures or sliced up the sidewalls on rocks. So, I am considering either the S/T or the S/TMaxx and wondering how both of them perform compared to the AT-3.

BFG has their A/T KO2 now. I just had them put on, my first A/T's after years of M/T's, and can't give an assessment yet but there's a lot of good stuff about them in the tires forum, mostly about how much better they are than the KO's.

I don't think I'd want to chance a tire that people are already reporting sidewall issues like those you mention.

BFG has their A/T KO2 now. I just had them put on, my first A/T's after years of M/T's, and can't give an assessment yet but there's a lot of good stuff about them in the tires forum, mostly about how much better they are than the KO's.

I don't think I'd want to chance a tire that people are already reporting sidewall issues like those you mention.
I've been reading up on the KO2's and they do seem to be a lot better than the KOs. But, I have read there are some, not many, unhappy campers with them, unlike the ST Maxx. Was pretty much set on the Maxx, until I started reading up more on the KO2s. Going to read up more on them.

Sent from my SM-T700

I REALLY like my set of 5 ST Maxx tires.
They've been on for 2 yrs now and I have had NO issues, they ride fine, noise level is acceptable and they seem to be wearing well with about 15K miles on them - miles that are comprised of about 80% pavement and 20% gravel roads.
Sidewalls are stiff, aired them down to 20 PSI offroading at SMORR this summer and I could have gone lower but, really didn't need to, they gripped mud, snow, wet grass and wet rock ledges with hardly a tire spin.
I would recommend them.
They're pricey, made in the USA (if that matters) and seem to wear well and balance well too.
Good luck!

Another vote for cooper, I also run the ST Maxx on my 13 Taco and like them.

20160201_171745-1.jpg

I had to pick up a spare for my 4Runner because BFG doesn't carry 255/85 in the Mud Terrains anymore. The ST/Maxx carries a 255/85 and they had great reviews, so that is what I got. I plan to get 4 more when the BFG m/t's wear out. I was a big BFG AT fan, but the lack of a 255/85 forced me to look at other options.

I'm pretty fond of mine. I've ran them as low as 8-10 PSI, the only flat I've ever had with them is because the valve core was loose. They are softer rubber so they are fairly quiet. I now have almost 45,000 miles on them and they are pretty beat. Still enough tread to dig tho.

I run Cooper STT on my 4runner, and ST/maxx on my brothers dually. I would recommend both, the last long and I would say the ST/Maxx are slightly quieter, and have somewhat stiffer sidewalls.

Here's a vote for Coopers from the pavement/rain/mud/snow crowd. I bought and '02 SR5 4x4 for my shop truck and it came with a fresh set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3s. Coming off a long run of BFG in various offroad flavors, I figured to replace them but after three months, I am very favorably impressed.

Good ride, good vibe, etc. They are 285/75 SR16s so a little bigger/taller than OEM size.

upload_2016-7-28_18-30-5.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom