Converting the 70 Series Speedometer from KPH to MPH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's still illuminated as it was before. It's a good match, hard to tell it's not stock.
IMG_20231112_074142111.jpg

Looks really great - nice job. So the dial will just be dark? Not a huge deal really, I can tell how fast I'm going by the seat of my pants usually, but I didn't know if someone was going to attempt to illuminate the front/surface of the speedo somehow. There are some very small LED's out there that could be an option.

It is a metal dial face. Won’t be any issue with a sticker overlay in his case.

Here are what the metal dials look like.

79CF0201-8B7A-4237-A946-2DDB98676CB9.jpeg

C915720B-BE8F-42A9-84D8-30B0FAF24B3F.jpeg

That's fantastic. I have a 180 kph dial - my 100 kph is dead vertical. Do you have one like that? Or is easy to re-do the speedo cable to adjust? I'm ready to throw some money at somebody.
I have one ready to go. If this is what you need, Send me a pm and I can get this heading your way.

IMG20231113103036.jpg

Cleaning my new-to-me 73 dial won’t help, it reads 21% over - 121 km/h at a true 100!

In case anyone wants to know. The lockwood dials C836 mentioned in post #1 of this thread is NOT TRANSPARENT type. It is simply a plastic overlay meant for the metal dials. (It is held on by the two little screws that holds on the metal dial).

I ordered it thinking it was the transparent backlit type but it isn't. This is not specifically outlined on the site description for this product. Details below.

layout2.JPG

I've been thinking about options for the backlit gauge folks who don't want to put a vinyl sticker over the backlit kmh numbering.
One idea is to keep the current gauge face and leave the outer kmh numbers backlight, and use Dry Transfer decals to put the mph numbers on the inner side of the gauge (basically like @FJ73Texas original design). Dry Transfer decals don't have any borders and don't need to be cut out - you can just press them onto the gauge. The experimental aircraft folks are using this to make the labels on their cockpits. Turns out really nice.

Here's one of the recommended companies. It's a little price for a sticker, but if we get a few gauges printed on a larger sheet, we can all split it up. We could even print different gauge designs on the same large sheet, since there's so many variations of gauge requests out there.

The only drawback is that the MPH still isn't backlit - but at least you don't obstruct the the KMH backlighting.

1802.JPG

instrument-panel-decals-closeup.jpg

I have done some R&D on the backlit setups and have a bit of a working version. I can buy translucent sheet material and then put a vinyl overlay on the plastic sheet.

IMG20240410200506.jpg

It looks pretty good. The issue is what everyone has said above. There are a least 20 different styles of this gauge depending on the original market and along with different shaped faces depending on year.

I have thought about expanding this work (figuring the cutouts especially) but I am not sure how much demand there is for the backlit version of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom