Converting the 70 Series Speedometer from KPH to MPH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a backlit face - is there any way to make that work? Is there enough light scatter from other lights on the dash to make it useable?

I can get backlit faces made through lockwood with my files and stuff (I contacted them and talked about it with them) but it isn't feasible to just have 1 or 2 made so I let it go. Would probably need at least 10 or so made.

We probably couldn't do a group buy together anyways because I need to do 160 and you have 180....

You looking for something like this?

180.JPG

Yes - @FJ73Texas - that's what I'd like to have. Except my timing belt light is on the left, not the right. I have the identical original speedo to the one @woytovich pictured back at the beginning of this.

How much are they apiece? If it's not crazy I might buy 10 just to get 1 and then be Mr. Wonderful and hand them out like party favors.

I have the single color 160 and 180 done for the decal. As well as color for the 160. I am almost done with the 180 but these are not for the backlit style.

View attachment 3416350

Those look perfect, like stock. I'm wondering how you could illuminate it, looking into a short section of EL wire maybe tucked in somewhere, if that wouldn't look too horrible.

Yes - @FJ73Texas - that's what I'd like to have. Except my timing belt light is on the left, not the right. I have the identical original speedo to the one @woytovich pictured back at the beginning of this.

How much are they apiece? If it's not crazy I might buy 10 just to get 1 and then be Mr. Wonderful and hand them out like party favors.

I don't remember off the top of my head but just having one made was way too expensive but the cost goes down at 10+ more units. Need to dig through my emails with the guy from there. I hope I still have them and didn't delete them.

The circle you see (in the first photo I posted up) that you assume is for t-belt is actually for the reset button/shaft for the tripodometer. I also had the t-belt version drawn up as well (shown below).

1802.JPG

For reference, this is the thread that was referred to early on in this thread:

Just chiming in here so I get notifications when they're ready to go to market. 160 km/h in yellow, 0-100 mph white, like post 19 looks good to me. 1989 BJ75, I believe perimeter lit.

Ok everyone I have these ready. I have this done. I have the single color 160 and 180 conversions as well as the two color conversions done.

There are so many variations on the T-BELT that if you send me a picture of your speedometer first it will be helpful. I can move the T-BELT on top of to the side of remove it easily if you just let me know.

I am going to list these on eBay to see how they do but PM me if you want one here. $30 and that includes shipping.

IMG20231004170145.jpg
IMG20231004170116.jpg
IMG20231004170113.jpg
IMG20231004170103.jpg

Beautiful work.

What is their structure? Are they peel and stick? Will they work with backlighting? These threads went through so many permutations I can't remember the specifics.

Beautiful work.

What is their structure? Are they peel and stick? Will they work with backlighting? These threads went through so many permutations I can't remember the specifics.
Good questions.

This is a peel and stick setup. It's a printed vinyl sticker with all of the cutouts for odometer, trip meter, T-BELT etc.

These are not for the backlit applications unless you want to put this over the existing speedometer.

Thanks
Jack

IMG_20231004_192424.jpg

Installed mine yesterday. I wasn't able to get my needle off, so I just cut the decal and slipped it over the needle. Wasn't that easy as I took the paper backing off and the sticker was sticking before I had it lined up.
IMG_20231110_123709563.jpg

Turned out alright though.

IMG_20231110_125307966.jpg

Installed mine yesterday. I wasn't able to get my needle off, so I just cut the decal and slipped it over the needle. Wasn't that easy as I took the paper backing off and the sticker was sticking before I had it lined up.
View attachment 3479028
Turned out alright though.

View attachment 3479027

Hey that looks great. You should have sent me a message I have a cool proof way to get the needle off. But it looks like you got it setup pretty good.

Can you take another pic once you have it in the truck. I don't have a 70 series to use as an example of one installed.

Jack

Hey that looks great. You should have sent me a message I have a cool proof way to get the needle off. But it looks like you got it setup pretty good.

Can you take another pic once you have it in the truck. I don't have a 70 series to use as an example of one installed.

Jack
Do you care to share your foolproof method?

Looks really great - nice job. So the dial will just be dark? Not a huge deal really, I can tell how fast I'm going by the seat of my pants usually, but I didn't know if someone was going to attempt to illuminate the front/surface of the speedo somehow. There are some very small LED's out there that could be an option.

Looks really great - nice job. So the dial will just be dark? Not a huge deal really, I can tell how fast I'm going by the seat of my pants usually, but I didn't know if someone was going to attempt to illuminate the front/surface of the speedo somehow. There are some very small LED's out there that could be an option.
Yes this setup is better for the old style perimeter lot speedometers. The back lit ones would not work as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom