Continental Divide 2023? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
Looks like I’ll be kid free for 10 days in July (not sure exactly which 10 yet). With that much time, I’m thinking of doing the continental divide. I’ve done it once and it was a truly remarkable bucket list kind of trip. Starting from somewhere like Albuquerque and ending in Montana going through lots of Colorado, red desert, Tetons, Yellowstone.

When I did it with a organized tour, we did dirt roads almost the entire way - and they were great roads. That tour avoided anything challenging, but still amazing

Who wants to go?

That could be tons of fun! I'll be on the Rubicon and Fordyce during your time line (so long as it's not on fire)

I'm interested too, just keep us posted if you come up with solid dates. I hope the 60 would be ready by then if not it will be the 4Runner. This guy could use a vacation @TYM4FUN ;):lol:

Glad to see the interest, it's time to get serious.

Okay, so let's start fleshing this out. The first choice is south to north or north to south. When I did it, we went south to north, which was nice because you left the heat and headed into the trees as you headed north. The next question is where to start. The classic is to start at the Mexican border and head to the Canadian border. When I did they started us in Albuquerque and ended in Montana City as getting the heart of the trip. Albuquerque was chosen because it's on 40 and 25 and easy for people to collect. And from there we went right into a reservation and dirt. The trip I did from Albuquerque to Helena was 10 days, with one layover day. And many of those were long days - which is counter intuitive if you're thinking of pavement.

Our nights were
Albuquerque
Cuba, New Mexico
Elk Creek, New Mexico
Hartsel, CO
Hartsel, CO
Steamboat Springs
Atlantic City Wyoming
Moran, WY
Lima Mt

Take out the layover day and it's still quite a few days.

I have a GDB (Garmin) file which I have in Gaia. Can't post it here because it's not a supported type. I'll work on getting it converted to GPS. This is from the 2016 trip, to some of it is out of date, but it covers the entire trail with lots and lots of notes.

Last edited:
@workingdog By any chance this trip will happen? I have plans of attending Overland Expo PNW or the one in Colorado just making plans for now.

At this point, I have no idea. I'm still hopeful, but waiting to see how things pan out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom